Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

To all the fools having a dig at those questioning certain players in the team...

Its not people saying you cant criticize the players or the decisions, for me its more the ridiculous idea that some have that players who have played key roles in a team that has gone on a ridiculously long unbeaten run and taken us to the top of the league, have after one defeat suddenly become shit and anyone who didnt see this defeat coming is a moron because some are oh so smart. Sure Lappin, Smith and Wes had poor games but this will happn every now and then. The defeat will be swiftly forgotton if our players bounce back in the right way against Brighton.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s difficult to fit him in Gazza. That''s the problem. His most effective position in the diamond is probably where Russell plays. Korey Smith''s legs and energy have been vital to us this season. Could he play left? Or maybe a different system suits him better.

[/quote]

Agreed Koreys energy /legs/getting in peoples faces/tackling ability is crucial in this system. I am sure he can play on the left hand side but replacing Lappin or the mere suggestion surely i will be labelled as the anti christ!?!?. Ah fook it Hughes for Lappin! ;0) "Simon Lappin, King of Spam King of Spam King of Spam, Simon Lappin King of Spam hes a fritter!"  - "Huuughesyyyyy!!!!!"

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s difficult to fit him in Gazza. That''s the problem. His most effective position in the diamond is probably where Russell plays. Korey Smith''s legs and energy have been vital to us this season. Could he play left? Or maybe a different system suits him better.

[/quote]

Agreed Koreys energy /legs/getting in peoples faces/tackling ability is crucial in this system. I am sure he can play on the left hand side but replacing Lappin or the mere suggestion surely i will be labelled as the anti christ!?!?. Ah fook it Hughes for Lappin! ;0) "Simon Lappin, King of Spam King of Spam King of Spam, Simon Lappin King of Spam hes a fritter!"  - "Huuughesyyyyy!!!!!"

[/quote]Bit early in the morning to be drinking isn''t it?

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

There are three players in the squad who would have made yesterdays team stronger,  Whitbread, Holt and Drury.    The remainder were 8 from our strongest 11.

2 of those players were unavailable, one injured again and the other because of his own stupidity, which has finally cost us points.

As far as whitbread is concerned I have been championing his place in the side for Nelson for weeks and his time will come.   However who changes a winning side?  Its hard to see why Lambert would have done so before now?

Based on the last few games he could have replaced one of the central midfielders as they are showing signs of flagging,  but with a weeks rest and such a long winning streak do you really bring in hughes for Rusty etc?   And McNamee has done v little yet to suggest he is anywhere near a starting pace.

I may have started with OJ up front,  given he holds the ball up better,  but again with 2 goals in 2 games why did Cody not deserve his chance too?

Its so easy with hindsight,  but I think the manager was right to do what he did,  and I also expect him to make just 2 changes for the brighton game,  holt and whitbread in for nelson and macdonald  

[/quote]

Agree ZLF on the three points 110% although unless we see an improvement from Lappin Hughes deserves an opprtunity to stake his claim. Will also be intersting when Askou becomes fit again  if Doc is capable of holding onto his place as everyone was saying before he was injured hes the best CB at the club, when he is fit Askou & Whitbread everytime for me..............

[/quote]

I do believe that Lappin has a great understanding with Drury and always plays much better with Drury on the pitch. It''s no coincedence that his two worst games have been since Drury has been injured again. Up to a couple of weeks ago, Lappn was in the top two for assists in the division. Surely the aim is to continue to play as a team. It''s teamwork that''s got the club this far and if Lambert can keep the basis of the team together and not change too many players at a time, the understanding is likely to be prolonged.

At present, I have every reason to trust his judgement and what''s really important is keeping a gap to 3rd place. Winning the division would be great but automatic promotion is more important.

I''m lookng forward to next Saturday and good luck on your recovery Adam.

You have completely ignored one of the most important aspects of Lamberts job Smudger. That of man management.

He has turned a group totally lacking in confidence to a highly committed bunch prepared to run through wals for him. Their confidence has increased with each victory until our current form and goal scoring is better than every other team in the league. IMO this is more important to our success than virtually everything else.

As a manager Lambert needs to nurture that self belief and he wont do that by chopping and changing a team with a streak of wins behind them.

Like most on here I would prefer Whitbread in the team to Nelson and he may well start at Brighton but without doubt we need progress through gradual evolution. The last thing we need is the wholesale change that you advocate on the back of our first loss for months.

I do hope you dont manage any people Smudger. The chances of you galvanising them into pulling together behind you are absolutely nil.

[quote user="Canaries for Ever"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

There are three players in the squad who would have made yesterdays team stronger,  Whitbread, Holt and Drury.    The remainder were 8 from our strongest 11.

2 of those players were unavailable, one injured again and the other because of his own stupidity, which has finally cost us points.

As far as whitbread is concerned I have been championing his place in the side for Nelson for weeks and his time will come.   However who changes a winning side?  Its hard to see why Lambert would have done so before now?

Based on the last few games he could have replaced one of the central midfielders as they are showing signs of flagging,  but with a weeks rest and such a long winning streak do you really bring in hughes for Rusty etc?   And McNamee has done v little yet to suggest he is anywhere near a starting pace.

I may have started with OJ up front,  given he holds the ball up better,  but again with 2 goals in 2 games why did Cody not deserve his chance too?

Its so easy with hindsight,  but I think the manager was right to do what he did,  and I also expect him to make just 2 changes for the brighton game,  holt and whitbread in for nelson and macdonald  

[/quote]

Agree ZLF on the three points 110% although unless we see an improvement from Lappin Hughes deserves an opprtunity to stake his claim. Will also be intersting when Askou becomes fit again  if Doc is capable of holding onto his place as everyone was saying before he was injured hes the best CB at the club, when he is fit Askou & Whitbread everytime for me..............

[/quote]

I do believe that Lappin has a great understanding with Drury and always plays much better with Drury on the pitch. It''s no coincedence that his two worst games have been since Drury has been injured again. Up to a couple of weeks ago, Lappn was in the top two for assists in the division. Surely the aim is to continue to play as a team. It''s teamwork that''s got the club this far and if Lambert can keep the basis of the team together and not change too many players at a time, the understanding is likely to be prolonged.

At present, I have every reason to trust his judgement and what''s really important is keeping a gap to 3rd place. Winning the division would be great but automatic promotion is more important.

[/quote]

Just asking but where is the proof of Lappin having the 2nd most assists in the division because I have heard this mentioned before but am unable to find the facts to back it up? find it hard to believe. With our front three he would have a good chance of being up there considering they have the best part of 60 goals between them though, reckon Mr Magoo would have a few assists!., is Wes no1 then?

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Canaries for Ever"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just asking but where is the proof of Lappin having the 2nd most assists in the division because I have heard this mentioned before but am unable to find the facts to back it up? find it hard to believe. With our front three he would have a good chance of being up there considering they have the best part of 60 goals between them though, reckon Mr Magoo would have a few assists!., is Wes no1 then?

[/quote]

[quote user="king canary"]Its not people saying you cant criticize the players or the decisions, for me its more the ridiculous idea that some have that players who have played key roles in a team that has gone on a ridiculously long unbeaten run and taken us to the top of the league, have after one defeat suddenly become * and anyone who didnt see this defeat coming is a moron because some are oh so smart. Sure Lappin, Smith and Wes had poor games but this will happn every now and then. The defeat will be swiftly forgotton if our players bounce back in the right way against Brighton.[/quote]Well said king canary.We''ve had an amazing run that no one, and I mean no one, could have possibly predicted. It''s the easiest thing in the world for the '' I knew this would happen '' brigade to emerge from the woodwork after a defeat but a loss had to happen eventually. Yesterday, without our main striker, we lost to a good side who had been on a decent run themselves. Results elsewhere were good so in the end very little has changed.We need to worry more if we end up in a Leeds style '' blip ''......

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Smudger"]Unfortunately it was down to rather more than just missing Grant Holt Morty.I haven''t seen Holt employed as a centre back or midfielder for us yet, have you?Chris Martin''s goal was enough for 3 points or at least a draw if we were not let down by very poor defending again and a non-entity on the left side of midfield.[/quote]Obviously not but defending begins with retention of the ball up front, allowing both the midfield and defence to push further up the field.So no "big man" up front to hold teh ball up and we drop deeper and deeper, putting far more pressure on the defence.Simples.[;)]

[/quote]

Nay - only one out ''n out winger (brought on too late) and no pace on the right to alleviate the pressure on both the defence and central midfield in a 4-4-2 is the crux.Not so simple to folk who don''t understand the game like Shyster it seems. [/quote]And you played pro football for who?Or managed who?[/quote]

So that''s it then everybody, according to morty, if you''ve never played football professionally or managed a Premier League club you are not qualified to pass opinion because your knowledge of the game is obviously w*nk - I mean let''s face facts here, football is a tremendously complex game to understand that only members of Mensa can possibly comprehend, which is why so many pro footballers who go on to become managers are highly intellectual beings.It still amazes me why Einstein never took up football management because he would surely have lead a national team to a couple of World Cup victories.

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Canaries for Ever"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

See links provided by others but in during December Lappin was top and then dropped to second behind McGovern (Swindon) until a few weeks ago. I''m not saying that he''s brilliant but I take into account his not insignificant contribution during our great run.

it was a bad performance against a very good team... but it is this comment winning when playing badly is ok, Iagree to a degree but you must be able to change your personnal and strategy

I do feel we are completely reliant on this diamond and we do not have plan b which is a massive worry

yes we are top of the league and had a great season so far, but now we are playing teams for a second time and I feel they are learning and seeing how to close us down

We are reliant on holt for sure, if he was out for any length of time I would be very worried even on automatic promotion

we do have players who have been fortunate this year, they are playing at prob 10% above there natural level with lamberts guidance... but this only works for so long... we have not had the I will run through a wall for my team attitude recently

yes i expect us to beat brighton but more importantly we need performances to change and win by playing good football... our psychology is changing we were looking desperate yesterday, rose was trying to get us started but it wasn''t happening

the diamond is adequte we have not established who or what formation we play when holt is off the field... a big worry even if we do go up as we will need to get a plan b

I bet that McNamee can get more than 7 assists between now and the end of the season if Lambert gives him 18 starts!

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Smudger"]Unfortunately it was down to rather more than just missing Grant Holt Morty.I haven''t seen Holt employed as a centre back or midfielder for us yet, have you?Chris Martin''s goal was enough for 3 points or at least a draw if we were not let down by very poor defending again and a non-entity on the left side of midfield.[/quote]Obviously not but defending begins with retention of the ball up front, allowing both the midfield and defence to push further up the field.So no "big man" up front to hold teh ball up and we drop deeper and deeper, putting far more pressure on the defence.Simples.[;)]

[/quote]

Nay - only one out ''n out winger (brought on too late) and no pace on the right to alleviate the pressure on both the defence and central midfield in a 4-4-2 is the crux.Not so simple to folk who don''t understand the game like Shyster it seems. [/quote]And you played pro football for who?Or managed who?[/quote]

So that''s it then everybody, according to morty, if you''ve never played football professionally or managed a Premier League club you are not qualified to pass opinion because your knowledge of the game is obviously w*nk - I mean let''s face facts here, football is a tremendously complex game to understand that only members of Mensa can possibly comprehend, which is why so many pro footballers who go on to become managers are highly intellectual beings.It still amazes me why Einstein never took up football management because he would surely have lead a national team to a couple of World Cup victories.[/quote] haha top comments Shyster!

The only fool is the originator of this thread!

Yes we can improve but players aren''t going to be great every game!

For the record - 3 players who the originator of this thread doesn''t rate -  

Lappin - Done a good job this season and his will to win has been a vital element in our side. Together with Smith and Russell Lappins presence allows Hoolahan his free role!

The Doc - Been outstanding in most games. Isn''t slow and has added a new element to his game - scoring goals!

Nelson - Yes limited with the ball at his feet, but has got better through playing more games and is a good stopper at this level!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]You obviously weren''t there yesterday or at Walsall away then???

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

The only fool is the originator of this thread!

Yes we can improve but players aren''t going to be great every game!

For the record - 3 players who the originator of this thread doesn''t rate -  

Lappin - Done a good job this season and his will to win has been a vital element in our side. Together with Smith and Russell Lappins presence allows Hoolahan his free role!

The Doc - Been outstanding in most games. Isn''t slow and has added a new element to his game - scoring goals!

Nelson - Yes limited with the ball at his feet, but has got better through playing more games and is a good stopper at this level!

[/quote]How is that so?  How many tackles has Lappin won this season???As for the Doc not being slow, don''t make me laugh... even the little lad who was always cuaght when running around the pitch at half time yesterday would give the Doc a sturdy test in a sprint! [:$]

Everyone has an opinion, and they are entitled to say whatever they want, within reason. I just can''t help but feel Smudger is a confused soul though.

''However it is this narrow minded thinking by certain sections of our support which contributed to the mess that we got in to under Worthington, Grant, Roeder and club legend Gunn.''

OK so Worthington was bad, right? Yet...

''Lambert although doing well is in charge of a very big club in the 3rd tier of English Football.  As Nutty says, he has a long way to go yet before we can put him up with Worthy or any other of City''s top managers from the past.''

Sorry Smudger but I''m confused!

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]You have completely ignored one of the most important aspects of Lamberts job Smudger. That of man management.

He has turned a group totally lacking in confidence to a highly committed bunch prepared to run through wals for him. Their confidence has increased with each victory until our current form and goal scoring is better than every other team in the league. IMO this is more important to our success than virtually everything else.

As a manager Lambert needs to nurture that self belief and he wont do that by chopping and changing a team with a streak of wins behind them.

Like most on here I would prefer Whitbread in the team to Nelson and he may well start at Brighton but without doubt we need progress through gradual evolution. The last thing we need is the wholesale change that you advocate on the back of our first loss for months.

I do hope you dont manage any people Smudger. The chances of you galvanising them into pulling together behind you are absolutely nil.[/quote]Fair comments Hairy... [Y]I am not sure that many of our players wouldof got a 2nd chance under me as they have done under Lambert.  I think Lambert deserves the utmost praise for biting his lip with rgeards to the likes of the Doc. Still bet that the players I am knocking are not in Lamberts first team this time next year and if they are then we will not be doing very well if back in the Championship.

I''d be worried if we started a Championship campaign with Doc as 1st choice. Back up I could live with, starter not for me.

Thats a very easy conclusion to make Smudger as more likely 7 or 8 of these players wont be in the team in the championship. As for now we are in league 1 and Paul Lambert has chopped and changed whenever he felt right using players that he may or maynot have bought himself. When the diamond hasnt worked he has changed the system normally to pull the game back.

Paul Lambert is doing his job under huge pressure. He is not only under the normal pressures that a manager is under but he realises that if this club is not promoted this year the consequences for this club will be catistrophic. By the comments you have made it is Paul Lamberts judgement you are questioning. You are not saying just that these players are not good enough but there are a lot better players and Lambert is making the wrong choices. Lambert clearly thinks that the diamond system works and for you I think you are stateing the obvious of course Cody will be replaced with Holt and at sometime Nelson will be replaced the Doc anyones guess but he wont be left out if he has 1 bad game and I am sure once Hollt is back if that does not make the diamond work again he will look at our system.

I will hazard a bet now that just as Drury is fit you will be saying Rose must be replaced by Drury

[quote user="Allez17"][quote user="Smudger"]Very true, but...We also drop deeper and deeper because the players upfront and in midfield are concerned that we do not have two quality centre halves.[/quote]Utter bollocks. Don''t project your bias against players who have performed fine for weeks onto other players who just haven''t. We lost today because of the midfield. We were pressed, marked out of the game, and only Rusty in the diamond turned up. Smith was lightweight, Wes was absent and Lappin was useless. The game was won and lost there. [/quote]Quite agree. There''s no doubt we shipped two soft goals today, but never did we even look like scoring. I doubt we even had more than two shots on target - I can remember no action other than the goal and the overhead kick.You can blame the team for defending poorly from set pieces (contrary to Smudger''s naive belief there are actually more players involved in marking/defending corners than just Doherty and Nelson), but the fact we generated no real chances all match tells its own story.

[quote user="jammis"]

Everyone has an opinion, and they are entitled to say whatever they want, within reason. I just can''t help but feel Smudger is a confused soul though.

''However it is this narrow minded thinking by certain sections of our support which contributed to the mess that we got in to under Worthington, Grant, Roeder and club legend Gunn.''

OK so Worthington was bad, right? Yet...''Lambert although doing well is in charge of a very big club in the 3rd tier of English Football.  As Nutty says, he has a long way to go yet before we can put him up with Worthy or any other of City''s top managers from the past.''

[/quote]Instead of nit picking little bits of posts, why not try going back to the original post and reading it in context of what was actually said?I didn''t say Worthington was a bad manager and Lambert has a lot to do to be compared to him as yet (I would agree with Nutty there).  Of course Worthy ran out of ideas when the board refused to pay his "going rate" for certain players though.  All manager make mistakes even the greats such as Cloughie.  I am sure that the great strong managers out there can take constructive criticism on the chin and accept that maybe they called certain things wrong.  They then go on and make the changes required and get on with it!

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Thats a very easy conclusion to make Smudger as more likely 7 or 8 of these players wont be in the team in the championship. As for now we are in league 1 and Paul Lambert has chopped and changed whenever he felt right using players that he may or maynot have bought himself. When the diamond hasnt worked he has changed the system normally to pull the game back.

Paul Lambert is doing his job under huge pressure. He is not only under the normal pressures that a manager is under but he realises that if this club is not promoted this year the consequences for this club will be catistrophic. By the comments you have made it is Paul Lamberts judgement you are questioning. You are not saying just that these players are not good enough but there are a lot better players and Lambert is making the wrong choices. Lambert clearly thinks that the diamond system works and for you I think you are stateing the obvious of course Cody will be replaced with Holt and at sometime Nelson will be replaced the Doc anyones guess but he wont be left out if he has 1 bad game and I am sure once Hollt is back if that does not make the diamond work again he will look at our system.

I will hazard a bet now that just as Drury is fit you will be saying Rose must be replaced by Drury[/quote]hahaha what a clown... I can assure you that Lambert will not be bringing 7 or 8 players in if we go up... unless of course that nice Mr Formula 1 man from Lotus decides he would like to invest!As for Drury and Rose... no I would not be saying that as Rose has performed well in his two games so far.  If Drury was fit and Rose levels of performance and those of the team dropped to a level similar to the players we have been discussing in recent weeks however then of course I would bring Drury back in.

McNamee remains an unproven player for me;  He has had 2 20 min good spells for the team,  not disimilar to OJ and Cody, but like them he has also had more anonymous games than good ones.  As an impact sub the latter two have taken their chances better than McNamee.

this season norwich have played their best football when Hoolahan has space and our top midfield is lappin smith and russell.  They may not be the best three midfielders but in the context of a team they have provided us balance, effort and grit.  Lately Russell has sat too deep smith been ill disciplined in his positioning and lappin ill disciplined in his temper.   If the 3 push forward and up the pitch , together with Holt defending from the top, things will improve.

As someone said earlier the pair of lappin and drury is far better than teh sum of the two players,  and we have missed drury.  McNamee may be a better individual player than Lappin,  but lappin works because he give the team shape and balance that is missing when he is not there. 

Hughes is not a lappin replacement.  I think he is the best ball playing midfielder we have and would probably play him instead of Russell of choice,  but Rusty has done little wrong.  Perhaps he gets a chance when Smith tired again

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="jammis"]

OK so Worthington was bad, right? Yet...

''Lambert although doing well is in charge of a very big club in the 3rd tier of English Football.  As Nutty says, he has a long way to go yet before we can put him up with Worthy or any other of City''s top managers from the past.''

[/quote]

Instead of nit picking little bits of posts, why not try going back to the original post and reading it in context of what was actually said?

I didn''t say Worthington was a bad manager and Lambert has a lot to do to be compared to him as yet (I would agree with Nutty there).  Of course Worthy ran out of ideas when the board refused to pay his "going rate" for certain players though.  All manager make mistakes even the greats such as Cloughie.  I am sure that the great strong managers out there can take constructive criticism on the chin and accept that maybe they called certain things wrong.  They then go on and make the changes required and get on with it!
[/quote]

Yes I was nit picking and being slightly facetious, but for a reason. While everyone, as I said, is entitled to their opinion, I disagree with what you say, but more than that find it arrogantly written.

You''re judging one loss and a handful of games where we have played badly against years of ineptitude. You then have the audacity to imply that Lambert should take note of what you say.

If you don''t mind I''ll blindly follow the man who has helped us take 44 points from a possible 48.