Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

best ever strike partnership at city..

An honourable mention for Davies and the under-rated Bolland, but it''s hard to look past Boyer and Macdougall. Both undoubtedly top-flight standard (unlike, say, Manning or Roberts or Bly) and a complementary pair to boot.

I would go with Sutton and Robins as some others have above.

I do remember Peter Crouch looking poor when on loan - but in hindsight he might have done well for us!

Someone, in jest, gave Malcolm Allen a mention!

I thought he looked a decent player and could have got a lot of goals for us, given a run in the team. He and Flecky were too similar though.

I believe it was he who instigated the fight at Arsenal, getting manhandled by David O''Leary in the process!

Enjoyed Cross and Bone when they played together.  But MacDougall and Boyer lasted longer and had more success so get my vote.

[quote user="Hit Squad"]Sutton & FoxThey did win in germany[/quote]Agree, certainly in my lifetime.Iwan and Bellers are second.

When I first started there was no such thing as a strike partnership. You had five forwards who were all expected to score.The one that stands out in my memory of those days is Gavin, Gordon, Hunt, Brennan, Coxon.But if we are talking of a strike force as recognised today it can only be McDougal and Boyer.

Good to see posters'' memories go back far enough to know the obvious answer to this....Boyer was all poise, vision and class and Super Mac was a mean finsihing machine.  

Holt and Martin are shaping up to be the best partnership we''ve had in years although we''ve had some good individual strikers.

Most of the best double acts date back at least 25 years, perhaps that''s because football had changed and in the modern game there''s more emphasis on scoring goals from all areas of the pitch?

If it''s a partnership, it''s got to be two strikers who worked together as a team - and to be the best, it has to have been done at the highest level.

It''s a shame that David Cross and Jimmy Bone weren''t together for longer - that was our first partnership at the highest level. I have to agree with what seems to be becoming the majority vote - Boyer and MacDougall - different players who worked together brilliantly, and both prolific goalscorers.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]OK, DEB, I was wondering when Fashanu/Reeves was going to get a mention or if it would have to be me to mention them. Finally some sanity restored to this thread! McDougall/Boyer were awesome, too.[/quote]

I have to wholeheartedly agree with this post Houston.  These two parterships were great pairings.  Both had a player who held the play up and went down the flanks to create space for their partner in the middle (Charlie and Reevo), whilst the others were great target men, a real handful, both also quick on the floor, and real predators (SuperMac and Fash!).   If only in both cases they could have been kept together for longer I''m sure we would be top of the premier still now!  I blame the board.

Memories can play tricks on you. Until recently, I had forgotten that Jimmy Bone only played 39 games for us. He was an instant success at Carrow Road, an out and out attacker who really put himself about. The crowd loved him and as someone else said, with Cross, we had our first top level strike partnership. He was brilliant in Division 2, but, like the rest of the team, found Division 1 a slightly different proposition, and was transferred early in the New Year ( a swap deal that ultimately was a key reason for us escaping relegation - but that''s a different story). As a young teenager, Jimmy Bone was my hero, not least because he scored the club''s first ever top flight goal, but as I said, he wasn''t actually around very long.

Tell you something though, his style would have still gone down a storm today. Fans of today would have loved his aggression.

Jimmy Bone scored one of the best goals I can remember in a 3-1 away defeat at the old Stamford Bridge. Bit like the one Eddie Gray scored against Burnley for Leeds many years ago in beating half a dozen players (including one twice who fell over and got up to have another go) before slotting past the keeper.

People mention Holt and Martin but they''re in the third division against third division defenders. Super Mac and Boyer did it against the countries best time and time again. Who remembers Super Mac''s two hat-tricks in successive home games against Everton and Villa and both goals in 2-0 win against Manure? Wonderful stuff.

Just because Holt and Martin are our strikers, and have scored around 40 goals already this season, I don''t really see them as a partnership in the way we are talking on this thread. The partnership I see in the current team is between Holt and Hoolahan. They are both clever players and seem to have a nearly telepathic understanding which has been responsible for many goals this season. Two that immediately spring to mind are the Holt quick throw-in to Hoolahan for the first against Charlton and Hoolahans sublime pass onto Holt''s head for the second against Millwall. Although they were scored in the Third Division, these two goals were against decent opposition and I''m hopeful the partnership would be effective at a higher level.

[quote user="aitch"]

Memories can play tricks on you. Until recently, I had forgotten that Jimmy Bone only played 39 games for us. He was an instant success at Carrow Road, an out and out attacker who really put himself about. The crowd loved him and as someone else said, with Cross, we had our first top level strike partnership. He was brilliant in Division 2, but, like the rest of the team, found Division 1 a slightly different proposition, and was transferred early in the New Year ( a swap deal that ultimately was a key reason for us escaping relegation - but that''s a different story). As a young teenager, Jimmy Bone was my hero, not least because he scored the club''s first ever top flight goal, but as I said, he wasn''t actually around very long.

Tell you something though, his style would have still gone down a storm today. Fans of today would have loved his aggression.

[/quote]

Keith Bertchins quality goal against the scum at carrow road fa cup 4th round 1984 ....sublime! and the guy who asked his missus to marry him at half time......28,501 attendance! memories of a better time!

Macdougal and boyer without a doubt . btw , i think some people have forgot just how crap Rosario actually was !