Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Norwich Citys best current finisher?

holt?martin?cody?johnson?hoolahan?the doc? who?

I think it would have to be martin, but im sure some of you will say '' well holt has 23 goals so it must be him...''

If I had the choice of having one of those with the ball at their feet, 18 yards out, only the keeper to beat - Martin. No question. 

Martin, definately. Im a massive fan of holt and hoolahoop but for ''finishing'' it has to be Chrissy Martin. The other 2 forwards are great and have scored great goals but martin can finish off from most angles and can score different style of goals.Just look at his finish vs Brentford, pure class.

If you looked at % of chances taken, i think CM would win hands down over Holt.

BUT, Holt definitely gets more chances and that''s because he''s more of a goal getter than a taker. To get the best of Martin he needs to play in a team that creates chances for him.

Holt makes more chances for himself than Martin. You can''t really say one is better than the other. That''s why they complement each other so well.

I''ve seen Holt mess up an easy looking one on one, i''ve seen Martin miss a glaring open goal, and Hoolahan miss a couple of open goals in the past.Empirically speaking, i''d have to go with McDonald.However, i''d trust Lambert as an individual regularly involved with the players in training to make a more sound analysis than my own.... So Martin.

[quote user="a1canary"]If you looked at % of chances taken, i think CM would win hands down over Holt.

BUT, Holt definitely gets more chances and that''s because he''s more of a goal getter than a taker. To get the best of Martin he needs to play in a team that creates chances for him.

Holt makes more chances for himself than Martin. You can''t really say one is better than the other. That''s why they complement each other so well.[/quote]Sorry, Holt makes more chances for himself than Martin?! Did you get that the wrong way around?

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Martin is the better ''classical'' finisher.  But our main front 3 all have different strengths - which is why we''ve done so well

[/quote]Agreed - combined, they make a very very difficult front line for defences at this level.

Martin, I believe he has the potential to be AMAZING, and should take the step up to championship very well... Holt, however, may not... or so I am assured by a forest fan, who assures me in his words that

"Grolt has found his level in league one, he did nothing for us in the championship!"

Holt is far and away the best finisher with his head, and in my opinion has also showed better prowess with one-on-ones with the keeper. Martin is definitely improving but as I have said before, is weak with his head. Having said that, I really hope that he improves over the next few weeks as I had him at 25/1 E/W to be top-scorer in this league !! 

What i mean I.S. is that Holt is more of a poacher and gets himself in good positions deep inside the box. From those situations he makes chances and scores goal.

If you think of Martin''s recent goals, the chances are made for him and he finishes. Oli playing him through, finishes expertly from a tight angle. Holt plays him through with the diagonal ball for his second goal at colchester, finishes brilliantly. For his first goal, receives the ball from Rmart on the edge of the area, turns his man, finishes.

Holt''s goal v colcehster was a punt upfield by the keeper that he made and scored a chance from. As someone has said, you need all types and they complement each other brilliantly because we have a striker for every occasion.

If you swap Holt for Cmart in the instances mentioned above, would they all result in goals? I don''t think so. Holt gets on the end of things and scores more goals close in. If you had to choose one of them to be on the end of Fraser''s big punt upfield, it''d be Holt as he''d be best at getting on the end of it and outmuscling the defender.

[quote user="a1canary"]What i mean I.S. is that Holt is more of a poacher and gets himself in good positions deep inside the box. From those situations he makes chances and scores goal.

If you think of Martin''s recent goals, the chances are made for him and he finishes. Oli playing him through, finishes expertly from a tight angle. Holt plays him through with the diagonal ball for his second goal at colchester, finishes brilliantly. For his first goal, receives the ball from Rmart on the edge of the area, turns his man, finishes.

Holt''s goal v colcehster was a punt upfield by the keeper that he made and scored a chance from. As someone has said, you need all types and they complement each other brilliantly because we have a striker for every occasion.

If you swap Holt for Cmart in the instances mentioned above, would they all result in goals? I don''t think so. Holt gets on the end of things and scores more goals close in. If you had to choose one of them to be on the end of Fraser''s big punt upfield, it''d be Holt as he''d be best at getting on the end of it and outmuscling the defender.[/quote]Fair point, but wasnt it a question of best finisher?