Sign in to follow this  
ncfc_1902

London Marathon 2010 for DEC's Haiti Earthquake Appeal

I''m running the London Marathon on 25/04/10 to raise money for the DEC''s Haiti Earthquake Appeal. I appreciate that I am a new poster on this messageboard but as a City fan would like to make an appeal for sponsors. I have set up a JustGiving site at www.justgiving.com/nickdoeslondon2010 and would be grateful for any donations at all.

OTBC

[quote user="lmc"]

I''m running the London Marathon on 25/04/10 to raise money for the DEC''s Haiti Earthquake Appeal. I appreciate that I am a new poster on this messageboard but as a City fan would like to make an appeal for sponsors. I have set up a JustGiving site at www.justgiving.com/nickdoeslondon2010 and would be grateful for any donations at all.

OTBC

[/quote]

Wrong page![:|]

Thanks, I''m planning on publicising the site everywhere I go in order to raise as much money as possible for such a worthwhile cause.

[quote user="lmc"]Thanks, I''m planning on publicising the site everywhere I go in order to raise as much money as possible for such a worthwhile cause.[/quote]

Not with me it ain''t, there''s already a surplus of aid/cash to Hati as it is...........try nearer to home!

I''m also due to be running it, my charity is the British Diabetes Association, maybe not as current and in vogue as the Haiti one but still very worthwhile. I thought it would be a bit cheeky to ask for sponsorship here to be honest, but if there is a very rich person who fancies donating please let me know.

[quote user="Marty"]I''m also due to be running it, my charity is the British Diabetes Association, maybe not as current and in vogue as the Haiti one but still very worthwhile. I thought it would be a bit cheeky to ask for sponsorship here to be honest, but if there is a very rich person who fancies donating please let me know.
[/quote]

Good on yer Marty, and I hope it goes well for you.[Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="lmc"]Thanks, I''m planning on publicising the site everywhere I go in order to raise as much money as possible for such a worthwhile cause.[/quote]

Not with me it ain''t, there''s already a surplus of aid/cash to Hati as it is...........try nearer to home!

[/quote]

I hope what you are saying is that you think there are more worthwhile causes and not that this isn''t a worthwhile cause.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

I hope what you are saying is that you think there are more worthwhile causes and not that this isn''t a worthwhile cause.

[/quote]

No I think he''s saying that every time a major disaster like this happens with blanket media coverage there''s a lemming like rush to donate, often at the expense of other, less well publicised, equally needy causes.  Donate by all means (I have) but don''t neglect other charities.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I think he''s saying that every time a major disaster like this happens with blanket media coverage there''s a lemming like rush to donate, often at the expense of other, less well publicised, equally needy causes.  Donate by all means (I have) but don''t neglect other charities.

[/quote]

Exactly CC.[Y]

See my other post:

http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/1977172/ShowPost.aspx

I''m also doing the London Marathon in April in aid of the excellent local Norfolk Charity - Break, which has been helping vulnerable people in Norfolk for over 40 years.  I also have a page for donations www.justgiving.com/marathon4break 

Good luck with your run Imc, hope the training is going ok?  I''m also doing the Reedham 10 mile (this sunday), Wymondham 20 mile and Broadland half marathon as practice runs, maybe see you at one of those?

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]No I think he''s saying in very thinly veiled way that darky johnny foreigners don''t deserve charity as much as something british. It''s hardly a f*cking trendy lemming like rush if you donate to the Haiti appeals. There has never ever been a disaster in this country that''s in the same league.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="canary cherub "]No I think he''s saying that every time a major disaster like this happens with blanket media coverage there''s a lemming like rush to donate, often at the expense of other, less well publicised, equally needy causes.  Donate by all means (I have) but don''t neglect other charities.

[/quote]

Exactly CC.[Y]

[/quote]

Nice backtracking Wiz [:$]

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I think he''s saying in very thinly veiled way that darky johnny foreigners don''t deserve charity as much as something british. It''s hardly a f*cking trendy lemming like rush if you donate to the Haiti appeals. There has never ever been a disaster in this country that''s in the same league.
[/quote]

Now I am not a Wiz fan but I have to say that it is you putting that spin on it I am afraid! There are a lot of ways of looking at it TBH, did you for example donate any money to Haitian related charities prior to the quake? If not why? The country was in one hell of a state before and a disaster within it''s own right!

I am not saying that it is not worthwhile but IMO everyone is entitled to have their own views on this and it is not within others remits to either criticise nor put words in others mouths.

I for one would rather give to UK charities, I can explain this if you wish but as this is a football forum I won''t at this time.

[quote user="Jarroldstander"]

See my other post:

I''m also doing the London Marathon in April in aid of the excellent local Norfolk Charity - Break, which has been helping vulnerable people in Norfolk for over 40 years.  I also have a page for donations www.justgiving.com/marathon4break 

Good luck with your run Imc, hope the training is going ok?  I''m also doing the Reedham 10 mile (this sunday), Wymondham 20 mile and Broadland half marathon as practice runs, maybe see you at one of those?

[/quote]

Unlikely I''m afraid as I''m Leeds based! Still, good luck with your training all the same, mine could be more regular but I''ll get by! Fingers crossed for an injury free three months up until April!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

well said!

[quote user="Jarroldstander"]

See my other post:

[/quote]I''ll see you at the Wymondham 20 on March 6th.  I''m running the Virgin London Marathon for CLIC Sargent, a charity which supports children who have been diagnosed with cancer.For reference/out of interest, Just Giving take 5% of all donations as their "fee" which is why I don''t use them.  There are other options which offer a better deal for charities, such as BeMyCharity or Virgin Money Giving.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Jarroldstander"]

See my other post:

[/quote]I''ll see you at the Wymondham 20 on March 6th.  I''m running the Virgin London Marathon for CLIC Sargent, a charity which supports children who have been diagnosed with cancer.For reference/out of interest, Just Giving take 5% of all donations as their "fee" which is why I don''t use them.  There are other options which offer a better deal for charities, such as BeMyCharity or Virgin Money Giving.[/quote]

Mr chops you pay for all of them Just giving is the first of these help sites to spring up! hence the most popular... As a charity you have to pay for this service as you do with virgin money and the other one! Much the same, although i think virgin is slightly cheaper as its new! we are working with clic sargent as Jake Humphrey is our celebrity ambassador  and clic sargents i  think is eddie jordon....... we are looking to host an event sometime in the furture! Good luck with your run and keep up the good work!have a look at this and help to support us. cheershttps://rogavi.com/raffle/break/executive-box-for-8-people-at-carrow-road--hosted-by-jake-humphrey-and-jeremy-goss/

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Well said.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Well said.

[/quote]So you''re in agreement with Wiz that it''s not a worthwhile cause? I don''t think the OP is suggesting that we should deprive other charities of our donations but the idea that we should ''try nearer to home'' is intellectually dishonest in the worst possible way. Deciding who is worthy of the small amount we give to charity based on lines on a map seems a pretty stupid way of going about things to me.