Sign in to follow this  
sxcanaree

"If you're bottom at christmas you'll be relegated...".

Bye Bye Baggies then  

- Almost certainly confirmed to be in that position with one game still to play!!!

One down, Blackburn and Chrystal Palarse to go!

OTBC

Couldn''t agree more about WBA - they''re a rubbish team with an even more rubbish Manager - he don''t impress me at all. Can''t see them see the doing any better than 20th. Many thanks to Gary Megson for laying such solid foundations

Palace - I think they had their little fling a few weeks ago but now the chickens are coming home to roost big style. Virtually a one man team and if he don''t score, they don''t win

As for Blackburn, well I''m not so sure. For me it''s between Saints and Brum, with the latter looking the least likeliest to escape. They can''t score goals and any team who relies on Hesky to score is in big trouble. Their defence ain''t brilliant either

Quite honestly, I don''t think we can even be classed as serious contenders for relegation. I''ve actually thought this from the start of the season and the last few weeks have strengthened this point of view 

Roll on Christmas

My how tunes change! OK we had a fantastic result yesterday, and I also think we can avoid relegation...

....but it is NOT the forgone conclusion you make out. Brom have some good players and could still come good.

Palace and Blackburn are on a par with us if we are honest

Southampton could soar with Harry in charge

Fulham have quality and are used to the scrap.

It will be hard- very hard- but yes it is managable

Brum got three good points today away from home and did not have to rely on Heskey to score so that puts another spanner in the works.  Think it will be between:

Fulham

Saints

Palace

West Brom

Blackburn

and Us

So if there are two  there worse than us (debatable even though we won yesterday) then we are safe. I say two cos think West Brom are going down but even then so were Pompey last season until they put a run together so even that not a certainty.

As I said after the fulham game we will have many many more ups and downs before the season is finished and Saturday''s result was simply one game - some consistency is needed as well as a manager picking the best 11 players.

The energy from our second win is understandable but we need more victories before we can start to gloat over the likes of the baggies - there are far too many points to play for and we were far further up the table before getting relegated last time.

It is good to avoid that bottom at Xmas pressure though.

OTBC 

[quote]As I said after the fulham game we will have many many more ups and downs before the season is finished and Saturday''s result was simply one game - some consistency is needed as well as a manager pick...[/quote]

"we were far further up the table before getting relegated last time"

... although last time we were in free-fall (effectively without a goalkeeper). This time, at least we are (hopefully) heading in the right direction.

[quote]dont the baggies have quite a bit of money to spend in Jan?[/quote]

No they havent and they have been told to get rid of at least 6 of their huge 1st team squad to bring their wage bill down to an acceptable level.

...and like Worthers and the players have mentioned, it''s not about what the other teams are doing around us, its what WE are doing that''ll see us either relegated or end up staying up.

I for one think we''ll be comfortably ok, barring any major injuries and/or significant losses of form. I think we''ll be safe a few weeks before the end of the season, however between now and then an awful lot of football is to be played.

As fans, let''s sit back and enjoy the ride, it''s likely to get a bit bumpy between now and May.

any money the baggies might have had will be withdrawn. As they are  bottom at Christmas they will be forced to look to relegation as a real possibilty. Had they been tenth it might have been a different story.