Sign in to follow this  
StevenageFan

New Signing doubters and moaners where are you?

For weeks people have been moaning about Worthy''s terrible signings and what a waste of time they must have all been, well where are you all now?

Saturday saw, Doc, Charlton, Helveg, Safri, Jonsson and Bentley and we played a great game of football and got a great result.   I have been saying since the start that Helveg, Bents and Jonsson would be good for us and I really think they are.  I still reserve judgement on Doc and Safri and Charlton has been awesome all season and had finally been used in his proper position.

To be honest I only got to see the 50 min highlights on SKY and didn''t see much of Charlton, was he any better than Drury?

I wouldn''t change the side for the Chelsea game apart from maybe Shackell for Flemming, but I doubt that will happen.

yes they were outstanding but it was just ONE game. i hope it continues but we had a false dawn vs Southampton which was followed by the woeful performance vs Fulham. p.s. i agree with your comment re Shackell but not for the Chelsea game. It would be a shame to bring him for what could be a hammering which would damage his confidence.

Jonson - looking better and better (from a poor start), but tending to get wound up. I wouldn''t be surprised to see him collect a few yellows and suspensions this year. But I think he''s one we need to keep playing.

Doherty ... mmmm... looks a bit flaky at times at centre of defence, but gives it heaps all the time. Considering Saturday was only his second game alongside Fleming, he could settle in.

Safri - a star in the making. Better than Mullers in the tackle, and equally good distribution-wise. A fixture, I hope.

Bentley - which one, the old model or the new one? The new Bentley, demonstrated to the public for the first time on Saturday, showed all the quality that the name is famous for: I hope we''ve seen the last of the old one. THIS is the midfield quality we''ve been looking for all this time.

Helveg - fitting better and better with this club and this league. Showing real commitment now. Looks comfortable where he played on Saturday (despite some poor passes), so leave him there.

Charlton. Well, sorry Juke Box, but I think you''ll struggle to get back in. Charlton impresses me with his discipline and his reading of the game, and his workrate, and his skill. On the left, he looked more willing than Drury to get forward and more solid in defence. Drury''s young, and he should try to learn from this guy.

Personally i was never a doubter of the new signings... well apart from maybe Doherty who I still am not sure off. I was more p***** off at Worthy for not playing them when he had players all over the pitch who were not performing. Safri came in earlier in the season and played well and was suddenly dropped. Helveg was never given a chance. Jonson was to an extent and now we are seeing his worth. Charlton has been awesome and Bentley is finally showing his commitment. It will be interesting to see how things go from here.

I totally agree with all of the comments on the new signings, but, am I the only one who thinks the Doc''s style of play is a bit agricultural? He worried me on Saturday with his Malky ''all arms & legs'' style, literally trying to wrap up his marker. Given another ref the opposition could have had at least five ''dodgy'' free kick decisions because of the Doc''s need to cuddle his marker. But then again, we won so who cares!!

Would it have happened if injuries hadn''t forced it upon us though?

I guess that doesn''t really matter - these guys have proved they can up their games and achieve good results/performances.  Now they need to keep their form and their places as a result.

Doherty - felt he played an ok game, good that we had a poor ref or we would have had loads of free kicks against us because of his fouls...
 Verdict: would personally swap for Shackell

Helveg - My word, this is defently what we signed him for! looked great on the ball, great tackles and creativity but an occasional miss placed pass
Verdict: Keep him there for Chelsea, francis on bench

Safri -  Great game, would play him infront of mulryne defently. He picks up the balls from the defence and sprays them out, superb! Takes on mulrynes game and is an brilliant tackler, would like to see more of safri this season!
Verdict: Should be 1st Team Regular

Bentley - I was getting on his back, saying hes been nobody in the last couple of games (which he hasnt) BUT with this new formation hes playing his best football...... And the creativity for both svens goals says it all............
Verdict: Sign him from arsenal if we can, would be hard to replace, defently keep him in the team for chelsea

Jonson - played a brilliant game on the right wing(/striker) and would defently like to see more of him and would very much like him to score. Got in good positions, maybe he could get a shot in now and again.......
Verdict: Keep him in

Overall: Keep the same formation, keep the defence tight and dont conceed an early goal against chelsea!