Sign in to follow this  
nolegs

Theres only one f in Fleming

Just been flicking through the threads and there seems to be an underlying theme,Helveg-oh no he had a good game,ah but what about the Doc,damn,he had a good game too,but there must be someone we can have a go at...Ah Fleming he missed a header he hade the temerity to make a mistake,must be too old ,well past it,drop him for gods sake Worthy...May I suggest that some of you are a bit too quick to write the old dog off and remember some of the stirling work he''s done in defence this season. 

Nolegs, I agree with you on this, I was thinking along the same lines. The criticisms seem to be progressing through the squad one by one. Is no one immune?

I will defend myself on this one, as I am one of those concerned about Flems form, in that I have been posting about the form of both Flem and Eddie consistently for the last 6+ weeks so its hardly an overnight thing.

Eddy had one of his best games on sat but still made a vital contribution to the goal - however the worse defender on sat was clearly flem (well in my view anyway)

While sats result was good there are still areas that can continue to be improved upon. Doc was good on sat yet I have also voiced my concerns about him being too similar to Malky and could suffer against shall we say a more nimble forward. However I agree that both Eddy (yes) and Doc should keep their place against chelsea.

Why should a good result stop me from expressing my views if I think improvements can still be made?

OTBC

I can''t believe that people are actually bitching about any of the lads following Saturday''s game. Can''t we just be happy with a job well done! Even Worthy was getting on the bandwagon with his whine about Eddy''s backpass.

For Chrissakes! Just learn to enjoy yourselves!

I agree with you about Fleming No-Legs, but it takes the biscuit (to put it politely) for you to have a go at people for slagging players off. Just how many times have you come on here in the last few weeks and had a go at Bentley?

someone has to be blamed, and according to the posters earlier this season we all know "how great" the doc is

Personally id bllame andy marshall

Mr.Rosario you are right I have been less than complimentary about Bentley in recent weeks ,but if you look in todays threads you will see I took the time to say how well he played on Sat.and how I hoped he will continue in the same vein.I just thought over the previous weeks that he was not totally commited but there we are its all down to opinion aint it

Agreed there is a surfeit of negativity sometimes, particularly after defeats, which has got very much out of hand in the past months.  Then again, some of the criticisms are justified by observations, include contructive comments and are borne out by subsequent developments, viz. recent marked midfield improvements (both selection and performance).  The aftermath of a rare win after many disappointments is perhaps a good opportunity to assess the team situation with a level head.

Just as we shouldn''t get carried away with one excellent result, so we shouldn''t be afraid to change personnel if they have been identified over a large selection of games to have been unfortunate contributors to some crucial weaknesses, particularly in a number of the team''s poorer performances.  This doesn''t mean that those players are no good: just that they need to take time off to work on aspects of their game and face some competition for their place so they get more consistent.  

Come to think of it, this very thing has happened recently with very positive results, in the case of a number of returning players such as Helveg, Bentley and Doherty.  Excellent and valued stalwarts of past seasons like Holt, Drury and perhaps now Fleming also have the chance to fight their way back into the team as better players. 

I thought the lads played REALLY well all round on Saturday, and was well pleased with the result....there were some things that seem to have been forgotten about though from everything I''ve read...

IMO, from about the 20th minute to the end of the first half, we looked bad. We actually looked completely knackered like we''d already played 90 minutes or something...twas scary. After half time we really weren''t showing what we could do until we got the penalty. I couldn''t see a goal coming until that moment. The pace of some of our players, and their inability to turn was also a bit of a concern.

All in all tho, I loved Saturday and it was with pride that I came home to London. I just think it''s important to remember we weren''t perfect.

Roll on Chelsea....