Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

Nice to see Pompey fans still have a sense of humour....

Sorry about the garbage above - preview does not reflect what will actually appear in the post.

Just paste http://frattonise.blogspot.com/2010/01/pompey-sign-unique-co-operation-deal.html into your browser''s address bar

[quote user="Sooty57"]Sorry about the garbage above - preview does not reflect what will actually appear in the post. Just paste http://frattonise.blogspot.com/2010/01/pompey-sign-unique-co-operation-deal.html into your browser''s address bar[/quote]

That thread appears to have been deleted... What did it say?

It can''t be posted anywhere else, their website has just been shut down due to non-payment!!

Seems to be working fine, but for the benefit of those who can''t access it here is the blog posted by a fan......

Pompey have signed a unique co-operation deal with Voluntary Services Overseas (VSO).

VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation, working through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries.

Its high-impact approach involves bringing people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action, and change lives to make the world a fairer place for all.

But in this ground-breaking agreement, volunteers from overseas will travel in the other direction to Fratton Park – probably from Africa.

A spokesman for the VSO said: “VSO volunteers generally go overseas to do their volunteering in places like Uganda , Ghana and Rwanda – poverty-stricken regions short of healthcare and education.

“Yet the indigenous people of these countries have been so taken with the poverty at Fratton Park that the latest news of the probable non-payment of wages has led many of them to volunteer to play for the club for the remainder of the season.”

One of the first volunteers was Zimbabwean midfielder Fiddel de Books, 44, who said: “I was moved by the plight of this poor club. From the pictures I have seen they have no running water, no money and are riddled with corruption.

“We Africans are only too familiar with this situation. Some of my friends do not understand why I would be prepared to fly to a foreign land and work for nothing, but it feels good to give something back.”

A Pompey spokesman confirmed the deal, while signing a five-figure cheque for the club’s chief executive.

He said: “This is just the sort of forward thinking this club is becoming renowned for. Volunteering is the new working. Given that we’ve given up all hope of avoiding relegation already, we are only too happy to have overweight foreigners playing at no cost while our existing players walk away from their expensive contracts.

“Rest assured we are not in danger of administration with this sort of player recruitment policy. By the way, have I ever told you I’m a lawyer?”

I love the couple of paragraphs about the Zimbabwean midfielder.