Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Hanging Heads!

Haven''t been on here since saturday and i''ve come back to find endless posts gloating about how they knew all along that x was a superstar an y would come good and how all those that so much as uttered anything to the contrary should "hang their heads".

It''s really sad! Can those that berated Svensson come back on here and do exactly the same thing to those that think great when he has a mare like against Fulham. I didn''t slag him off but like most people i was unimpressed by him against Fulham and in this game and you are only as good as your last game. If every time we have a valid criticism of a player who subsequently has a good game, some childish glory boy/girl is going to come and tell us to, yes, "hang our heads" then we may as well not bother coming on here at all.

There''s a great adage in football that applies here that i firmly believe in and that''s the one that says not to get too carried away with the victories nor too despondent with the defeats. That''s not to say don''t run around the front room like a loony when we score (as i did on Saturday) but it does mean that we have still only won two games all season and have many more difficult matches to come before we can REALLY get carried away!

Well said A1, this forum seems to be the place for over critical views on performances, but, I still think Matty Svensson still looks like the sea-monster out of Stingray! (sorry Matt) 

Hmm. A one-sided post if ever I heard one.Everyone is allowed to say "Holt is crap and should be dropped" or "Nigel is not earning his pennies and we should look elsewhere"but someone can''t come on here and say what THEY think about THOSE views? So what you''re saying is - free speech, until you don''t like it anymore.

But few people come on here and say x had a bad game today.

It tends to be he is rubbish and isnt good enough and should have stayed in the fizzy-pop league. Or that there is no quality in the squad.

Well for one, I sent them all a tub of quality street to share at half time so now all the players have a little bit of quality in them - happy?!!!!

Secondly if you say something like;

Svenson was rubbish lets sell him in January.

Then be prepared for someone else to come out and say something just as extreme in a counter post to that.

I have to say that what I dont like is some of the people on here only come on to have a moan and slag players and the manager off. They never say such and such was class or he played well or that was a good decision.

If you are going to say somebody was rubbish I would suggest you explain your view and also name a player that was playing well to show what you mean. Even suggest areas where the TEAM let themselves down - its never as simple as one player letting us down.

You misunderstand me bananaman. Which is understandable having re read my post - very badly written, must have been because of the time of night.

All i''m saying is, it''s pretty sad the way so many came on here after the Bolton game just to have a dig at others saying how "shame on all of you who slagged of Svensson, you should hang your heads," blah blah. 

I''m not trying to defend myself here and i wasn''t saying this as someone who slagged off Svensson. Not at all. I did think his performance against Fulham was poor though. Do i have to hang my head in shame? No. As i said, a player is only as good as his last performance in this fickle game. Think Beckham. He was a national hero until Euro 2004 and the recent qualifiers - now half the country thinks he''s rubbish.

I''m just not so judgemental to say that all those who have questioned Svensson don''t know anything and should be ashamed of themselves blah blah. On the strength of one game. If he never performs like that again all season no-one is going to have such a dig at those that do rate him. But this is NOT about Svensson or my or anyone''s views on him, i''m just using the example of him after two such differing games and people reactions subsequently. I think a lot of them have been a bit childish and unnecessary, that''s all.

I agree with most of your views chicken, but then there''s David Bentley! I''ve never slagged off a Norwich player unless I judge from what I''ve seen that he doesn''t give a toss about the club or the team. I didn''t slag Bentley off after the Fulham game, but I could have done based on that criterion, because he didn''t give a toss. Then on Saturday there''s a miraculous transformation. Everyone knew he had the skill, but other bits - application and discipline and commitment - were missing. So was my judgement on the Fulham game wrong? I don''t think so, but I''m not 100% sure now...

At the start of the season I was flamed for saying that Svensson should be rested because he looked out of touch. But I''m 100% sure I was right in that case - he wasn''t fully fit after an operation, as he later admitted. I''ve NEVER slagged him off, because I don''t doubt his commitment, but you have to be free to say what you see.

For exactly the same reasons, I never slag the management of the club - on the administrative or the footballing side - because I have no doubts about their integrity or their intelligence or their commitment to the club. They make mistakes, sure, but then we all do that. Improvements can and should be made, on the coaching and scouting particularly, and it''s fair enough to say that openly on this forum. But I get angry when I read the irrational moaning that springs up immediately after any setback the team has, and dies away again as quickly after every victory.