Sign in to follow this  
Hartlepool Fan!

Hartlepool Fans Stopping In Norwich

Now Gens, about

10 of us coming down early in the morning and stopping over in Norwich tommorrow night, It will be our first visit to your City, and with that mind, havent got a clue where to head tommorrow night for a few large halfs!!!! We just want a good Drink and some good crack with you lot, and certainly no hassle. Can you reccomend where to drink, and if where to keep away!

Dont expect 3 points or even a draw!

Lastly, quickest way from the A1 Lads? Been told, Peterboro and across, down to Cambridge and up, and via Kings Lynn?

All the best, and hope to share a few shandys tommorrow.

if you want a good evening and night, go to riverside and prince of wales road, they have two big nightclubs on the road, which are mercy and liquid, and lots of decent bars. essence is really good, as well as wetherspoons

I havnt seen that place before, for the away fans compleat angler at the end of prince of wales road next to the bridge, always good banter in there

[quote user="barclaybabe"]if you want a good evening and night, go to riverside and prince of wales road, they have two big nightclubs on the road, which are mercy and liquid, and lots of decent bars. essence is really good, as well as wetherspoons[/quote]Roughly translated as : If you want to be surrounded by drunken fighting idiots, vomiting students and girls dressed like whores, then this is the place to be! [Y]

Two ways from the A1 either go A17 near newark follow it all the way to Kings Lynn then the A47 to Norwich. Probably the shortest route and the way I always come back from Sheffield, but the A17 can be a horrible road, but I would still say go this way

Two other longer alternatives are to keep going down the a1 to peterborough then take the a47 and keep going, these both take you on a lot of single lane roads, so if you het stuck behing a lorry can be slow going. If you want to stick to dual carrigeways stay on the a1 all the way to cambridge and take the a14/a11 up to Norfolk

Although i would reccommend taking the A17

Coach and Horses, Thorpe Road (come out of the train station, turn right and it''s 100 yards up opposite the sorting office).

Avoid Riverside and Prince of Wales Road.

Depends what beer you like.  Coach and Horses is just up from the ground, is a home team stronghold but away fans do come in and the pub have their own brewery

Just round the corner from the ground is Riverside and that has a Wetherspoons if youre into lager and cheaper drinks

Plenty of pubs in the city too - Norwich is famous for once having a pub for every day of the year within the city centre.

Route I''d take from the A1 would be A17 at Newark , through Lynn and along the A47 to Norwich.  Dont go Cambridge to Lynn  - its a crap road and you''ll go miles out of your way

If single carriageway and tractors arent your thing (and there are lots of those on the A17 - although theyre in Lincolnshire, not Norfolk!) and enjoy dual carriageways then go down the A1 to Huntingdon, take the A14 and then up the A11.  Its a longer way round but can sometimes be quicker

One word of advice - don''t dress as Hangus the Monkey - otherwise First Wizard may find you VERY attractive.....[:)]

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="barclaybabe"]if you want a good evening and night, go to riverside and prince of wales road, they have two big nightclubs on the road, which are mercy and liquid, and lots of decent bars. essence is really good, as well as wetherspoons[/quote]

Roughly translated as : If you want to be surrounded by drunken fighting idiots, vomiting students and girls dressed like whores, then this is the place to be! [Y]
[/quote]

That''s what I was gonna say!

You must have a cracking social life barclaybabe [:P]

Hope you enjoy your time in Norwich.

Either take the A17 off the A1 or alternatively the A52 via Grantham. Don''t go down as far as Peterborough -It''s miles out of your way and certainly no quicker.

As regards pubs, if you are looking for Night Clubs, young people, overpriced Lager and a potential scrap - head for Prince of Wales Road near the Railway Station. If you want a decent pint try the Coach and Horses on Thorpe Road or The Trafford Arms. The Trafford is run by a Norwich nut and has good beer and a good atmosphere. You would be made welcome in either of these two pubs.

Weather here is shit - probably quite mild by your standards

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="barclaybabe"]if you want a good evening and night, go to riverside and prince of wales road, they have two big nightclubs on the road, which are mercy and liquid, and lots of decent bars. essence is really good, as well as wetherspoons[/quote]Roughly translated as : If you want to be surrounded by drunken fighting idiots, vomiting students and girls dressed like whores, then this is the place to be! [Y][/quote]Surely if you wanted to do that you''d just stay in Hartlepool?

Is not every season us lot play teams like Norwich,Leeds,Southampton, Charlton. Coming down cause 25,000 pople will watching Hartlepool!

Im sick to death of visiting the Halifax, Darlington, Herefords of this world!

Who`d of thought 5 years ago, Norwich v Hartlepool being a league fixture!!!

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Depends what beer you like.  Coach and Horses is just up from the ground, is a home team stronghold but away fans do come in and the pub have their own brewery

Just round the corner from the ground is Riverside and that has a Wetherspoons if youre into lager and cheaper drinks

Plenty of pubs in the city too - Norwich is famous for once having a pub for every day of the year within the city centre.

Route I''d take from the A1 would be A17 at Newark , through Lynn and along the A47 to Norwich.  Dont go Cambridge to Lynn  - its a crap road and you''ll go miles out of your way

If single carriageway and tractors arent your thing (and there are lots of those on the A17 - although theyre in Lincolnshire, not Norfolk!) and enjoy dual carriageways then go down the A1 to Huntingdon, take the A14 and then up the A11.  Its a longer way round but can sometimes be quicker

One word of advice - don''t dress as Hangus the Monkey - otherwise First Wizard may find you VERY attractive.....[:)]

[/quote]

Stay off A17 unless you like being stuck behind tractors for hours on end, no decent place to overtake the A47 IS the same Stick to A1 Camebridge A14 Newmarket A11 Norwich then ringroad A47 to the ground, I only know a couple of pubs, which have already been mentioned, you will be made welcome where ever you go in Norwich,

[quote user="Hartlepool Fan"]Is not every season us lot play teams like Norwich,Leeds,Southampton, Charlton. Coming down cause 25,000 pople will watching Hartlepool!

Im sick to death of visiting the Halifax, Darlington, Herefords of this world!

Who`d of thought 5 years ago, Norwich v Hartlepool being a league fixture!!![/quote]Make the most of it HF. We are hoping to be upwardly mobile next season.Hope you enjoy your day out in our fine City.

Your best bet is Tombland/Magdalen Street, turn right at the top of Prince of Wales Road. There are some decent pubs Ribs of Beef, Kings Head, The Mischief and if you want some cheaper pints The Glasshouse (JD Weatherspoon) this are also a fair few Indian restaurants in this area, I highly recommend the Ali Tandoori.

[quote user="Hartlepool Fan"]Is not every season us lot play teams like Norwich,Leeds,Southampton, Charlton. Coming down cause 25,000 pople will watching Hartlepool! Im sick to death of visiting the Halifax, Darlington, Herefords of this world! Who`d of thought 5 years ago, Norwich v Hartlepool being a league fixture!!![/quote]

safe journey here and back chap... the coach and horses is nice, they do decent food (chilli and chips is well reccomended) or if you want a lighter bite theres a great Deli just next door to it for hot panninis etc.

Riverside will be ok as long as you act sensibly, "queen of the iceni" will be perfect for before the game its a weatherspoons and offers some good grub decent restaurants in the area too, id advise you to avoid the area after the game though... the same goes for prince of wales road.

If you do make your way into the city centre then check out Henrys, its beind Debenhams and you cant miss it, the woolpack isnt far from the ground and is fairly decent. Try to avoid the Bell as it does tend to attract chavs, students and alcoholics.. which no one likes.

Spearmint Rhino and Devils Advocate are "Gentlemans clubs" if you get my meaning.. the girls have bumps in all the right places....

as for car parking the Lower clarence road Car park (£5) is a 5 minute walk from both the ground and County Hall will also be open, its right off the main road into Norwich. there is no street parking im afraid, unles you use pay and display

stick Carrow road into google maps for directions to the ground, a bit of clicking about will show you where everything is. Norwich fans are helpful and approachable so if you want directions ask.

Firstly Keep away from prince of Wales rd full of chavvy idiots.

If you want a decent night go down magdalen st there are a few good pubs, spice lounge is a good Indian. WOrk your way up elm hill round corner to delaneys. It''s a great Irish bar that''s open till 2.

Come down a1 to cambrIdge and cut across on a11 don''t go on a47!

[quote user="Hartlepool Fan"]Thanks for the replies chaps, Nightclubs cant see it, Indians by 11pm would think after being on it since lunchtime. Us lot range from 40 to 55!!![/quote]Safest bet then is probably The Darby & Joan Club for a few racy hands of whist and a nerve wracking game of bingo ( lol )......You''ll be spoilt for choice for good pubs especially if you''re into real ale. All the ones I''ve mentioned are happy to accommodate responsible away fans. Directly opposite the station by the river is the '' official '' away pub, The Compleat Angler, but it''s not great. A bit further along the river heading away from the ground - about 5 mins - is The Red Lion and about 5 mins after that is The Ketts Tavern on Ketts Hill just by the roundabout. Of course The Coach & Horses close to the station is another great boozer as already mentioned on here and it is the closest to the ground.If you get in early enough a really great pre-match real ale pub is The Fat Cat on West End St off Dereham Rd. This place has loads of real ales, has won national awards and it''s well worth a visit. Too far to walk, about 40 mins even if you know where you''re going, so it''s a cab ride from the station for about £7 or £8 each way. Sat lunchtimes they have two huge plates of cheap filled rolls to help soak up the beer. Probably best to do this pub before the game as it''s heaving on Saturday evenings.Of course there''s the usual Wetherspoon type places on Riverside in the evening if you don''t mind feeling a bit geriatric.Wherever you end up you should have a great night.

I think everything to be said, has been said on here, so this is just me saying i hope you have a fantastic day, enjoy it mate, Norwich is a great city and you certainly wont find trouble unless you go looking for it. The people as a whole are amongst the friendliest in the country in my opinion.Anyways, have a good one and safe journey. [Y]

I reckon the Coach & Horses (a real pub) is the best place to drink before the game. Always a good crowd there (and mostly your age group) and no trouble with away fans (stood shoulder to shouder all wearing colours). 5 mins away from the ground. Hope you all enjoy your time down here apart from the result but I''m sure you''ll see some good football. Personally I always opt for A14, A11. Longer but a lot less chance of hold ups. Where are you staying?  

I used to live practically next door to the Trafford Arms and it is quality. Love the place.Might be a bit harder to find than the coach and horses, mind.

A1 to Newark

A17 S/P sleafoed, Kings Lynn.

A47 Norwich...follow signs to the ground. Parking at County Hall or Lower Clarence.

On Saturday moring the A17 will be a breeze.

Safe trip and enjoy the game....but not too much!!

[quote user="McCanary"]

A1 to Newark

A17 S/P sleafoed, Kings Lynn.

A47 Norwich...follow signs to the ground. Parking at County Hall or Lower Clarence.

On Saturday moring the A17 will be a breeze.

Safe trip and enjoy the game....but not too much!!

[/quote]

Your having a laugh, A17 breeze Its  c---p what ever day you get on it unless its around 3 am