Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

Is this one of the main reasons for Millwalls reputation?

Came across this on you tube.Is this one of the main reasons that Millwalls fans have the notorious reputation that they do/did?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDUSELk5j2shttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9_RRXfqsE&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu3GSgvJB0M&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIAkLMkNuCk&feature=related

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]For christs sake, if you are that bothered dont go there...simple!!![/quote]I''m not going anyway, it has not to do with their reputation. I know that back in the seventies and eighties it was rough but not now.I was hoping that some of the more senior members of this site (like you Arthur)  might offer their views on the documentary and the question i asked.

Sorry for being snappy mate, just several people have started pointless threads about Millwall this and that etc etc. Happy to tell you what I know.

To be honest Tottenham is far worse, yet for some reason probably due to the Luton riot {where several London clubs travelled to not just Millwall}.

The Old Den was a bit dodgy, but its the same as any club even Norwich, if you go there mouthing off you will find they will happily put you in your place, they are very proud people in that area.

The New Den isnt much better to be honest despite the clubs claims, same thing, if you go looking for trouble you will find it.

The 70s and 80s mainly saw a surge in violenece at grounds all over the country, im not saying Millwall are saints, but the media love the whle Millwall hooligans bollox.

The Old Den in the 80s, they used to set fire to the tracks to prevent people from departing that jolly old place in london.

Theres plenty of things I could go into but I could also go into detail about various other clubs, clubs you wouldnt think twice about travelling to.

been there many times no problem me & the wife even had many a drink in the local pubs good as gold simple mate dont show any colours whats your problem from POMPEY YELLOWS

The only footy violence I have ever seen in my 20 years following the city was at Coventry a few years ago. After the game, one Coventry fan just walked up to another Cov fan and punched him in the face and then ran off. I think generally with footy these days if you arent looking for trouble you won''t find it. I have however had verbal abuse - after Stoke away walking back to the train station a guy in a Stoke shirt - walking TOWARDS the ground called me a c**t in front of his kid who cant have been older than 5, and literally 2minutes later a girl of around 14/15 called me a "farmer w**ker" and sprinted into a shop....neither of them had been to the game. Pathetic.

Oh yeah and I got hit in the head with a coin at Molineux when I was about 7 - when they had the home fans in a tier above the away support - morons.

Millwall is the only place i''ve felt truly worried, but this is going back a long long time ago when they were then starting to deal with the problems.

I remember waiting for kick off, reading the matchday program and it was littered with care in the community articles: there was an image that stuck in my mind and it was a big thug with his arm round a frail old woman celebrating his turnaround from ring leader to ''carer''.

The bars that held us in were laced with glass and metal spikes, the stewards treated us like sh-t and i remember being pelted with coins most of the match.

We won, which was great until we left, as the home supporters were kindly pointing out that they''ll be waiting for us outside the game, and alot of the older guys i was with were giving them sh-t back... Oh that was fun... :-/

I was only about 15 and travelled with Club cabbage (as we called it at the time) with just a few mates, and ''familar'' faces of course.... a big big wake up call to what life was like outside of norfolk. :)

Good times all the same, i think the fear always made supporting a club home and away all that more of an accomplishment for me. The whole Football violence thing still fascinates me if im honest.

Even carrow road had it''s moments, look how thats changed now... im willing to bet millwall is nothing like it used to be.

I''m going next week and am looking forward to it, even though I''m not so confident. Anyway, although I''ve heard all these stories, as long as I dont say nothing, I''ll be fine, right? [:)]

Millwalls not nowhere near as bad as it was in the old days at that hell hole the old Den!

But then again Carrow Road could be quite a scary place in the 70''s-mid 80''s if you were caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Most other grounds were the same but times have changed for the better I''m glad to say although the area Millwalls in looks dodgy and I''m sure if you looked for trouble you''d get it!

Then again if you looked for trouble in Diss, Fakenham, Swafham, Thetford or any other Norfolk town you''d probably find it!