Sign in to follow this  
essexcanary

why does everyone love shackell?

whats the fuss about shackell.  Everytime fleming or charlton makes one mistake, there are people on these pages calling for shackell to come in.

This kid is only a youth and is unproven. He would get hammered in the prem.

Disagree mate. Shackell is an excellent prospect and one we need to hold on to. If we do not start to give him at least substitute appearances soon he will want to leave and that will be a great loss. Other teams try their youth players so why cannot we? Everytime he has played he has won many admirers. He had a great game in the cup against Newcastle, marking one of the best strikers around in Patrik Kluivert so i think if he can continue to develop he will be a great asset. Lets give him a go Worthy and soon.

So you''re saying any young talent shouldn''t be tried. Exit Mr Rooney et al.

Shackell has demonstrated in his limited first team appearances a calm assurance that I for one don''t think would be out of place in the Premiership.

He can count on excellent support from those around him to help give him what he lacks - experience to read the game. But he does have height, strength and mobility - which can''t be said for any of the others (all three that is).

Ideally, he should be on the bench ready to come in and play. Personally I would play him now, including v Chelski, in place of the Doc - and have Doc standing by just in case.

you''ve certainly got a point,its something i think myself sometimes. i think people like him for a variety of reasons. his top performance against cardiff last season, his height and future ahead of him...

i personally think we would be better off giving him a month or three in div1, that way he''ll get the first team, and important, games that have a lot of pressure attached

don''t get me wrong, i like shackell and would hate to see him leave but all these suggestions bout him bein better than fleming and doherty are way out of focus. he wont leave and worthy no''s how good he is. he''ll be useful next year in the championship!

PS green should be sold.  last few weeks his looked very average and should sell him whilst profit can be made

I think you are on a wind up mate or have just started drinking very early for a monday. Shackell is already better than Doherty and im not even gonna bother answering your comment about Rob Green.

It''s silly to use the word "love", replace it with "appreciate", yes appreciate the lad''s talent that is.

I think he should have been played more at the end of last season when we were cruising in, especially as it transpires that Worthy was not considering Malky for a place in his future plans.

Apart from once, when played out of position, he has impressed against a variety of opposition and I surely don''t think he will be "hammered" by anyone in the Premier.

Robert,

Did you see the pre-season game last year against Spurs, Shackell had Robbie Keane in his pocket for the whole game and i can hardly remember Keane having a touch let alone a shot.

When we played Cardiff at home, he totally dominated Robert Earnshaw, never let him have anytime on the ball and kept him quiet!

Shackell has pace and height, 2 things Flem doesn''t have.... yes Flem has experience but Shackell can only get experience if he plays!

As for Greeno, i don''t think we should sell him in January! Yes we could spend the money on other players but it''s a stable defence, including keeper, that we really need. Once we stop giving silly goals away then i think we''ll be ok.

Chris

I think you''re both on a wind up.Green is phenomenal, and there''s no way anyone can know if Shackell is better than Doherty.

With an attitude like that towards Shackell I''m surprised you don''t start a ''Bring back Butterworth'' campaign. You must have hated it when we were forced to watch Eadie, Bellamy, Hendo and Jarvis make their debuts. If they are good enough, they are old enough.............ask Wayne Rooney!

[quote]whats the fuss about shackell. Everytime fleming or charlton makes one mistake, there are people on these pages calling for shackell to come in. This kid is only a youth and is unproven. He would ge...[/quote]

The only reason he is unproven is because he doesn''t get on the pitch.  Have you ever watched him play?  If you live local then pop along to watch the reserves and you will see he is quick, strong, reads the game well, good in the air, and distributes the ball out of defence.  Given a chance in the Premiership there is no way he would get hammered. 

I think every youth has potential and deserves to be tried. But not right now. We are in a relegation dogfight and it could be a risk. FA cup games would be a good chance for shackell

I don''t think that Shackell would have let a routine header go over his head like Flem did on Saturday (when the ball then hit the Doc''s hand). I don''t think that Shackell would have been done for pace like Flem was against Davis - not exactly renowned for his blistering speed - on Saturday. Don''t get me wrong, Flem has been phenomenal for the club over the past few seasons but, like Adam D, he needs a rest to get his game back into focus. Shackell has never let us down and he looked good against the likes of Kluivert and Keane. 

[quote]I think you''re both on a wind up.Green is phenomenal, and there''s no way anyone can know if Shackell is better than Doherty.[/quote]

Anyone who has watched the two play can know if Shackell is better than Doherty! Shackell has outshone Doherty in the reserve games, any spurs fan will tell you he is a disaster/penalty/own goal waiting to happen. Nothing he has done against Fulham, Birmingham and Bolton make me disagree.

[quote]I don''t think that Shackell would have let a routine header go over his head like Flem did on Saturday (when the ball then hit the Doc''s hand). I don''t think that Shackell would have been done for pac...[/quote]

Never let us down!!

Crystal Palace last season

At palace he was yet another player Worthy used out of position - all that game shows is that Shackell is a centre back not a left back.Whenever he has played in his true position he has impressed - against Spurs, Cardiff, Newcastle or in reserves he has consistently looked a far better proposition that the doc, who did acquit himself well against Davies.OTBC

There was a period of time in the 2001/2002 season when Emile Heskey was MUCH better than Michael Owen.Question -Is Emile Heskey better than Michael Owen?How anyone can say he never let us down when he''s only played 5 games is beyond me.

I have not started drinking early actually.

To those of you who actually go to the games. both ome and away like i certain someone i no (me) Green has class but the goal against fulham was his fault, as was hierro''s on saturday.

Against charlton (before the dead leg) he was shocking.  I dont no why you moan about him leaving when everyone knows he has signed a pre agreement with arsenal at the start of the season anyway. He only signed a externsion for city so they are guranteed money

#Wenger sya he isnt lookin for a keeper - thats because he has one!!!!

Rob Morgan

By the way I saw shackell make his debut and if you bother reading i''m not saying i dont like him, i just think we are asking te impossible of him.

By the way, i hate rooney- his the most inconsistant player in the prem and only puts effort in if sven comes calling

Just explain to me how Fulhams goal was greens fault. Doherty had lost Andy Cole and it was a one on one from 12 yards out. Hardly his fault. And Heirro''s header was so powerful from close range so he could hardly have been expected to save that one. It came down to lack of communication between Edworthy & Fleming resulting in neither picking him up allowing a free header.

Pre Contract agreement? I dont think so

Robert, I realise what you are saying, but what I''m trying to get across is that everyone deserves his chance. The lad has been off and on the bench for some considerable time now, so it''s obvious that the coaching staff & manager think he''s able to stand up and be counted at this level. It''s simply due to the fact that when Malky was disposed of, the only other option was young Shackell, until the Doc was brought in. I too have witnessed every game Jason has played for us, and have been pleasantly surprised by his maturity, ability and general prescence on the field, he provides us with yet another option for our squad. Players such as Shackell, Henderson, Jarvis, Lewis and Crow, make it into the squad through the natural progression of schoolboy,youth scheme & academy into the heady heights of the full squad. They get there on merit, through hard work, natural abilityand the hunger to succeed, and, if fortune and the manager smiles on them, then good luck to them. Todays game is not one that will stand still, so natural progression is the only way a club with limited financial reserves, such as ours, may survive. My ''Butterworth'' comment was simply a humorus reference to the constant carping back to the ''good old days'' all too prevalent in the Carrow Road crowd, and yes, I agree, that chav Rooney is not one of my personal favourites. Sorry for any confusion.

[quote]I have not started drinking early actually. To those of you who actually go to the games. both ome and away like i certain someone i no (me) Green has class but the goal against fulham was his fault,...[/quote]

ha ha, taken all afternoon to stop laughing. Green at fault for Fulham goal and Hierro''s? You are joking?

Don''t usually reply to tosh but heres a comment to make a 1st time!!

Essex boy

Your sense of humour must be quite poor! As a fellow essex boy i would expect you to show some class.

Simple question for everyone: Who controls a box at set plays? I''m pretty sure the answer is the keeper. So fleming and eddie getting mixed up surely isnt there fault but green. And andy coles goal (or andrew as he apparently likes) green really should have done better.

Dont get me wrong, i do like green but feel the pressure is getting to him.  Everyone justs expects him to make world class saves. I would sell him whilst we can, if anything for the best of his career and make city some profit we need.

P.S i dont hate shackell either, henderson however is debateable!