Sign in to follow this  
Canary Man of Kent

30 more points....

I think 30 more points will probably be enough now.

Charlton have had a bit of a dodgy patch, and have slipped below 2 points per game. I think even if they have a good run between now and the end of the season they won''t get to more than 2 points per game for the season.

One thing today showed me was that we''re tired. This will undoubtedly lead to a defeat/draw or two, but I think we can grind out the necessary points.

No doubt we''re on the final straight with the chequered flag in sight, it''s just a very long final straight!

Its worth a look at the entire top 6 from 2008/09, which shows that 3rd place MK Dons got 87pts, and thats the target to beat for auto promotion.

1Leicester City  (C) (P)46271548439+4596
2Peterborough United  (P)46261197854+2489
3Milton Keynes Dons46269118347+3687
4Leeds United46266147749+2884
5Millwall46257146353+1082
6Scunthorpe United  (P) (O)462210148263+1976

interesting that scunthorpe only  had  76 points  and  they got promtion  through the play offs so the  least  we should be looking for is another 13 points   but hey all  this is speculation  so lets just keep  winning and let the rest figure out what they need

I  agree with the op. Charlton have just "dropped" 4 points from their last two "winnable" home games, while we have been able to "grind out" wins and therefore consolidate our position in the automatic promotion places. Charlton now have three consecutive away games - Walsall, Swindon, Bristol Rovers - while we travel to Milwall and Brighton. I would be surprised if they will have narrowed the gap too considerably by the date of our next home games, even allowing for our challenging fixtures. Another good result for us yesterday was Southend''s comeback against Swindon, another potential rival for automatic promotion.All in all our results and those of our rivls  have gone so favourably for us recently that the current table almost looks like the sort of  bbc prediction table that I would get when I have fed in my ''dream'' results scenario over a number of weeks - with everything in favour of Norwich. 92ish points seems to be a reasonable target for second place now ....  but of course, one step at a time.

I agree that we are currently weary after a 3 match spell, but a clear week without a game should work wonders. We have aclimatised to the spell without Holty...that''s three games now if you count the one he was sent off in, but that doesn''t mean we''re as good without him. Millwall will be a stern challenge. Holty is worth a goal a game, whether he actually scores or not himself.

It would be sensational to get a win at the New Den next week and if we do I would hope that the media (in particular the BBC) starts to see us as the probable League Champions.

I agree with the last poster that 90 points will be enough so thats 9 more wins from our last 17 games.

Looking at the top 2 over the last 5 years then 92 points is the target to aim for. Having said that,there are some big contenders this year so do any of us really know the target to aim for? Norwich,Leeds,Charlton,Colchester,Swindon,Millwall, and Huddersfield are all gonna have a crack at it.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]I think 30 more points will probably be enough now. [/quote]I think we are at least mathematically safe from relegation now aren''t we? ;)