Sign in to follow this  
EYEBALL119

McSheffrey signed for Leeds

[quote user="morty"][quote user="blahblahblah"]Fair point morty, he''s only played for Forest 4 times since last March too, if the wiki is accurate.  Suggests that knee injury has taken a long time to fix.  It''s a bit of a punt, especially if that wage figure is right.[/quote]Reminds me of our previous board''s style lol.[/quote]Crikey yes - Sibierski anyone ?

[quote user="EYEBALL119"]To be honest if we can''t remember how to defend then its a complete waste of time.[/quote]

too true.  yet again the right side looks very weak especially for Swiundon''s second

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="morty"][quote user="blahblahblah"]Fair point morty, he''s only played for Forest 4 times since last March too, if the wiki is accurate.  Suggests that knee injury has taken a long time to fix.  It''s a bit of a punt, especially if that wage figure is right.
[/quote]

Reminds me of our previous board''s style lol.
[/quote]

Crikey yes - Sibierski anyone ?
[/quote]

Sibierski was over the hill and past it. This guy is 27 and should really be coming into his peak but has had a few setbacks. In the championship for Coventry and Birmingham he was capable of getting 15/20 goals a season from the left wing. Remind you of anyone?

So if he got fit and playing well at league one level he could be devastating. If Leeds have the money (big if) I think it is a gamble well worth taking.

Whether a team can be balanced with him and Beckford in it though is anyones guess.

with regards to the Barnard situation; Southend accepted Leeds'' bid but wanted a player in return which Leeds weren''t prepared to do... Southampton were! Shame because I thinbk he''d have been great with Beckford

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="morty"][quote user="blahblahblah"]Fair point morty, he''s only played for Forest 4 times since last March too, if the wiki is accurate.  Suggests that knee injury has taken a long time to fix.  It''s a bit of a punt, especially if that wage figure is right.[/quote]Reminds me of our previous board''s style lol.[/quote]Crikey yes - Sibierski anyone ?[/quote]

Sibierski was over the hill and past it. This guy is 27 and should really be coming into his peak but has had a few setbacks. In the championship for Coventry and Birmingham he was capable of getting 15/20 goals a season from the left wing. Remind you of anyone?

So if he got fit and playing well at league one level he could be devastating. If Leeds have the money (big if) I think it is a gamble well worth taking.

Whether a team can be balanced with him and Beckford in it though is anyones guess.

[/quote]I would say not having scored a goal in almost 2 seasons, and not featured in a starting line up this season is maybe a punt too far, specially if they are going to pay silly money.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="morty"][quote user="blahblahblah"]Fair point morty, he''s only played for Forest 4 times since last March too, if the wiki is accurate.  Suggests that knee injury has taken a long time to fix.  It''s a bit of a punt, especially if that wage figure is right.[/quote]Reminds me of our previous board''s style lol.[/quote]Crikey yes - Sibierski anyone ?[/quote]

[/quote]I would say not having scored a goal in almost 2 seasons, and not featured in a starting line up this season is maybe a punt too far, specially if they are going to pay silly money.[/quote]I was going to ask if Huckerby ever went 2 seasons without scoring, or had a career threatening injury, but morty had my back, so all is well [:)]

Lol Blah x3.I have given this much consideration and asked myself "Would I have been happy if we had signed this player given all the circumstances?"And, for me, the answer has to be no.

If they get him in, they will promoted as winners in my book, he may have had a bit of a rusty patch, but when he was playing for Cov in a higher year, he destroyed many teams.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]If they get him in, they will promoted as winners in my book, he may have had a bit of a rusty patch, but when he was playing for Cov in a higher year, he destroyed many teams.[/quote]2 seasons ago when he played for Cov.No goals since then.A knee operation.No first team appearances.Sorry but however much quality he used to have I would be very wary about spending much money on him.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]If they get him in, they will promoted as winners in my book, he may have had a bit of a rusty patch, but when he was playing for Cov in a higher year, he destroyed many teams.[/quote]a) the league is ours to lose now.  Leeds can only take 3 points from us, and if we keep winning, they can sign Ronaldinho and it won''t matter.b) This guy has played 4 times since last March.  He has had a persistent knee injury - will that effect his pace ?  Will he be able to last a whole match, or regain match fitness ?c) 20k a week is a lot when you consider b).

To augment the concern expressed by others regarding McSheffrey, not only has he not had a lot of match experience recently I think it would be questionable, even if he were match fit, whether some of his talents will be conducive to some of the grounds he will be playing on. If this does go through then credit to Leeds for trying to improve themselves ( perhaps they are thinking ahead to next season if they''re promoted ) but I think their club have some other issues at this point.  

In addition, with one fella already unsettling the ranks at Elland Rd, add another one to the squad who is being paid probably four times as much as the rest and is not match fit, it really does smack of Roeder / Sitonuraski situation last season.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]If they get him in, they will promoted as winners in my book, he may have had a bit of a rusty patch, but when he was playing for Cov in a higher year, he destroyed many teams.[/quote]a) the league is ours to lose now.  Leeds can only take 3 points from us, and if we keep winning, they can sign Ronaldinho and it won''t matter.b) This guy has played 4 times since last March.  He has had a persistent knee injury - will that effect his pace ?  Will he be able to last a whole match, or regain match fitness ?c) 20k a week is a lot when you consider b).[/quote]

leeds have 2 games in hand!

[quote user="EYEBALL119"]just been confirmed![/quote]Very big risk in my opinion.Feelings seem mixed on your message boards.

[quote user="EYEBALL119"]how is it a risk? he hasn''t cost us a penny - if he''s shite or gets injured we''ll send him back![/quote]And you are paying him how much?If I was one of his Leeds team mates and he was on twice what I was on I''d not be best pleased unless he turned out to be amazing.Your dressing room doesn''t need another disruptive influence.

[quote user="EYEBALL119"]how is it a risk? he hasn''t cost us a penny - if he''s shite or gets injured we''ll send him back![/quote]The biggest overhead in a football team is player wages.  20k a week for McSheffrey to sit in your physios room stops you bringing 2 or 3 others in.  As shefcanary pointed out, it may also cause ructions re wage structure with the other players.

[quote user="EYEBALL119"]can you honestly see Ken Bates giving anybody that much money!?!? he wouldn''t give Beckford a Championship wage![/quote]Can you honestly see Carsten Yeung letting him out of Birmingham unless his wages are paid ?  20k a week sounds about right for a Premiership reserve these days - it''s one of the reasons we couldn''t get any decent loanees in the championship - all the "better" Prem reserves were happier playing in front of 500 people in London or Birmingham or Manchester, than playing in front of 25,000 in Norwich.

[quote user="EYEBALL119"]can you honestly see Ken Bates giving anybody that much money!?!? he wouldn''t give Beckford a Championship wage![/quote]Can you honestly see him taking a massive pay cut rather than sit out the rest of the season on the fat contract he''s at Brum?

a few things:- His wages are being subsidised by Brum- The decision to ITV to screen the Spurs replay has given us another 200k to spunk on wages anyway- Leeds also got in the region of 200k from Kilgallon''s move to Sunderland- Lee Barnard - wages were agreed but Sarfend wanted a player in part-ex that Leeds didnt want to part with, so the deal collapsed and he went to Southampton, but his first choice was Leeds- Lowry from Villa to follow before Monday

[quote user="morty"][quote user="EYEBALL119"]can you honestly see Ken Bates giving anybody that much money!?!? he wouldn''t give Beckford a Championship wage![/quote]Can you honestly see him taking a massive pay cut rather than sit out the rest of the season on the fat contract he''s at Brum?[/quote]That''s twice we''ve given the same answer morty - tell you what, you do the forum, I''ll get on with some work [:)]

Top quality Championship striker is exactly what the doctor ordered for Leeds. If Beckford and McSheffrey can''t get them promoted then they never will leave League 1. A massive coup.

[quote]Lowry from Villa to follow before Monday[/quote]Lowry ? What does he do ?  Paint matchstick men and matchstick cats an'' dogs ?Sounds like a Lancashire name to me - they won''t like that in Eckeringsthorpe or whatever Yorkshire hamlets are called these days.

[quote user="willynaylor"]a few things:- His wages are being subsidised by Brum- The decision to ITV to screen the Spurs replay has given us another 200k to spunk on wages anyway- Leeds also got in the region of 200k from Kilgallon''s move to Sunderland- Lee Barnard - wages were agreed but Sarfend wanted a player in part-ex that Leeds didnt want to part with, so the deal collapsed and he went to Southampton, but his first choice was Leeds- Lowry from Villa to follow before Monday[/quote]Do you honestly see this as a good signing, given his recent fitness and goal scoring record though?This isn''t sour grapes by the way, but we have done the loan thing similar to this with usually poor results.

Stop all this sour grape stuff. Yes you are top of the league well done and we have games in hand well done to us bu the thing is McSheffrey is a cracking signing for this level. Actually he would be a cracking signing for any of the top 6 championship teams right now. Beckford is the goal machine and Becchio hasnt been the player he was last season. McShefferey can not only play in varoius positions he can read the game more than most in this league.

Say what you like, McSheffrey is a top signing for this level. Hes got a proven record in the championship with minimum of 15 league goals. Leeds will cross that bridge if he gets injured but in the meantime he has to be the signing of the transfer window in this league.  The other person who is meant to be joining today  is Aston Villa and Australian international defender Shane Lowry who again is cracking for this tinpot league.

So looking forward to the second part of the season!!!

[quote user="upshift"]Top quality Championship striker is exactly what the physio ordered for Leeds. If Beckford and McSheffrey can''t get them promoted then they never will leave League 1. A massive coup.[/quote]Corrected your typo - he''s keeping himself in a job.

Oh and you can report back to WACCOE that we aren''t shaking in our boots over this lol.