Sign in to follow this  
Albinozak

Grant Holt

Unsure, Iwan done alright and he reminds me of Iwan, but saying that, there is a big difference between the 2 leagues. If we do go up I would not sell him because even after a few games and he struggles, i think he would offer us something different by coming on as sub.

[quote user="Albinozak"]Does anybody seriously think Holt will cut it in the Championship?[/quote]Yes

I think surrounded by the players we have here right now, yes.He owes a lot of his goals to Hoolahoops creativity.Whether or not we''ll get away with the diamond week in, week out in the Champ is another matter lol.

I do agree mate. Iwan is twice the player i think. Would be silly to let him go , but i think there will be a few disappointed faces as he wont be a goal machine like he is in this league. I personally think he has found his level, but we will see what thefuture holds.

Yes i do, he is pretty much perfect for the champ. As long as we keep the supply, he is as strong as an ox in the air and holding the ball up and cool as a cuecumber one on one. He works his socks off and i have no doubt him and Chrissy could get another 35-40 goals next season between them.

Wes i think has a question mark over his head. Dunno if just cos of Roeder and Gunn but barring a handful of games at the end of last season before he got injured, he never got going last season.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Unsure, Iwan done alright and he reminds me of Iwan, but saying that, there is a big difference between the 2 leagues. If we do go up I would not sell him because even after a few games and he struggles, i think he would offer us something different by coming on as sub.[/quote]I see what you''re saying but I think he is a lot more mobile than Iwan ever was, Iwan really was more of an out and out target man but Holty can do a lot with the ball at his feet, and will drop deeper to find it too.

[quote user="JTG"][quote user="Albinozak"]Does anybody seriously think Holt will cut it in the Championship?[/quote]

Yes
[/quote]

and yes.

Why not?

Just one argument in favour is that Steve Howard still cuts it at 34 (?) and even in his prime he was not the player that Holt currently is.

Jed. i think hoolahan will play an integral part for us next year providing we go up. Hoolahan could be one of the championships star men, in the correct team.

Yes, he won''t get the thirty odd he will finish this year with, but still a quality Championship player - 15 to 20 goals a year.

I do agree, he COULD be awesome next year, like i say, until we get up and he has a run of games we wont know. It could be a very average league next year, a lot of clubs in the champ are struggling financially and i think we will be in an excellent position to push for the top 10 if not higher next season. Cant see us playing the diamond too often away from home next season.

Well he is proving himself at this level, and  I think that while he wont score as many goals, he will be able to provide assists and take defenders out of the game.... at the end of the day though if you can put the ball in the back of the net and finish well it doesnt matter what league you are in. I also think he makes a good captain.

I would not really class steve howard as a quality championship player. everybody seems to be getting excited at the minute, which admittedly i am too these are happy days. Remember we are playing in the 3rd tier of football and have not exactly had great opposition with the exception of maybe 5 or 6 teams. We need to keep our feet firmly on the ground and not expect too much. These are''nt exactly the best times in a history.

I am far from convinced - but that does not mean he will not.

Holt has always played at the lower levels.  His energy is excellent but his is lacking pace and finesse.  While you can get away with that in the two lowest leagues the level of defenders are much better in the champs;  faster,  stronger and read the game better nullifying those advantages Grant has in this league.  Together with the best service he has ever been on the end of has led to the volume of goals he has this season - when we signed him a huge concern was the reliance on pens for his goals tally, something that has clearly not been repeated here but could indicate what could happen against better defenders against him and his supply from midfield.

What sets him and Martin apart in the latters movement, ability to create his own space for chances and finishing;  Chris can make create his own goals and hits the target more frequently than Grant does;   that sort of thing will make an enormous difference next season.

However his industry and sheer weight of goals means he deserves his chance if and when we make it.  

I see similarities with Holt and Iwan. Big Iwan didn''t have pace to burn but he still scored plenty of goals at champ level.

Lets not right him off, he has plenty of energy and strength which still counts for a lot.

I think he will do just fine.

Yeh i reckon Holt will be able to make the transition.Martin has already had a few at Champ level so i reckon hes gonna go from Strength to StrengthI just hope hes good enough to excell but not so good he starts pinging on other teams radars

I just hope hes good enough to excell but not so good he starts pinging on other teams radarsUnfortunatey having somthing nobody wants is having somthing not worth having :-)

[quote user="Leeds Spammer"]Nope  [8-)] sorry lads[/quote]

A bit like Beckford then!. Holt has already at least played in the championship and has 23 goals from 31 performances this season which I believe compares favourably to your striker who doesn''t give a toss about dirty dirty yorkshire!

[quote user="Gazza"]

A bit like Beckford then!. Holt has already at least played in the championship and has 23 goals from 31 performances this season which I believe compares favourably to your striker who doesn''t give a toss about dirty dirty yorkshire!

[/quote]

Now why have you got to be so mean, little dude? [:(]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I am far from convinced - but that does not mean he will not.

Holt has always played at the lower levels.  His energy is excellent but his is lacking pace and finesse.  While you can get away with that in the two lowest leagues the level of defenders are much better in the champs;  faster,  stronger and read the game better nullifying those advantages Grant has in this league.  Together with the best service he has ever been on the end of has led to the volume of goals he has this season - when we signed him a huge concern was the reliance on pens for his goals tally, something that has clearly not been repeated here but could indicate what could happen against better defenders against him and his supply from midfield.

What sets him and Martin apart in the latters movement, ability to create his own space for chances and finishing;  Chris can make create his own goals and hits the target more frequently than Grant does;   that sort of thing will make an enormous difference next season.

However his industry and sheer weight of goals means he deserves his chance if and when we make it.  

[/quote]There are parts of this I agree with and parts of this I strongly disagree with.You mention finesse. Without being disrespectful to Iwan - Holt has quicker feet and more technical ability. He is also twice as mobile as Iwan ever was. You would never expect Iwan to be first to a ball that he had to run after but Holt can at least give chase and force them into hurried clearences etc.Holt it seems is a natural goal scorer. You give him the same chances in the championship and he will score them. The difference is more that the chances may well be fewer. He hasn''t missed many sitters this season and he has scored some pretty good goals which you would have thought were half chances. He holds it up well and he gives as good as he gets.Lets put it this way. Have a look around the championship at players of the same type and tell me if he is as good as them or not. For me you have the likes of Howard, McLeod, ex canary Brown, Hulse, Lee etc.Whilst I wouldn''t go out there and say that Holt is as good as Hulse or those that are of the top sides in the division he is certainly as good as if not better than some of the others such as Lee and McLeod.So for me I think I would rate him as a middle of the road Championship target man at the moment, ofcourse he could even prove to be a hit there as well. If he works as hard as he does and gets into the same positions as he does now then why not? The only thing he will have to be careful of is his dissent.As for Chris Martin - there is a touch of class about him, and to be fair we already know he can cut it in the championship. He scored regularily when given his chance by Grant. He then went off the rails and everyone knew it was a matter of him getting back on track. Luton perhaps allowed him to get away from it all and he got back to how he was before. For me the real mark of his quality is that he has played several different positions this season and scored from most of them - out wide, behind the front two and even as a back up target man when Holt has gone off. He doesn''t hare about as much as Holt but I think thats because he likes to be central and ready to get the ball to sart things ticking.

[quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

And in fairness to Beckford... He obviously does care as he has had numerous opportunities to bugger us off [;)] Meh, I don''t care anyway - I was only ''tekken piss''