Sign in to follow this  
Sheffield uni Canary

More Unhappy away fans over ticket allocation

Why do all these teams think we should not sell tickets that they have not bought just in case they decide to turn up at the last minute costing us several thousand pounds each match. All these clubs are offered a massive allocation, which according to the online ticketing Southampton have took and sold their whole allocation

These fans simply aren''t used to turning up to grounds where it is a total sell out, we are the only club who does this on a regular basis. The fault clearly lies with Hartlepool football club and their fans lack of communication.

Perhaps there''s a cultural issue here that we need to respond to as newcomers to League 1, or it will make us look arrogant. 

At most grounds you can turn up and pay on the day, that''s how things are in this league.  If away fans turning up at Norwich are not guaranteed to get in, we''re the exception to the rule and we need to make it clearer.

Think I''ll contact the club and suggest it.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

Perhaps there''s a cultural issue here that we need to respond to as newcomers to League 1, or it will make us look arrogant. 

At most grounds you can turn up and pay on the day, that''s how things are in this league.  If away fans turning up at Norwich are not guaranteed to get in, we''re the exception to the rule and we need to make it clearer.

[/quote]I really don''t think we are in a position to leave seats empty "just in case" and lose money just to gain a bit of good will. Anyone who travels hundreds of miles on the off chance, without checking with either their club or Norwich city really is a bit silly.I''m sure when allocations are discussed between the clubs the fact that we virtually sell out every game is mentioned so really the onus is on the visiting club to manage it. We may be dealing with clubs of a smaller size in a different situation, but every one of them has an official website and a ticket office that you can ring.[:)]

Why should we change the way we operate. If Hartlepool and Brentford last week, have any aspirations of going up the leagues then they''ll have to get used to this kind of ticketing arrangement. We''re not the only one''s who do it. You wouldn''t go to a big gig without buying a ticket before you go.

I also read one of their fans moaning about having to stay in his designated seat.

Sorry but that''s what modern football is like - whether you agree with it or not.

[quote user="morty"]Well, from where I was sitting, I saw empty seats.
[/quote]

Probably because there were some idiots that wouldn''t sit down. Or even go near there seats.

From the Hartlepool site.....

CanaryYellow wrote:

I seem to be banging my head against a brickwall here so I''m going to give up.

Rest assured however there will be no apology from ncfc as it is quiet obviously hufc''s fault for not telling it''s fans how many tickets were available.

jesus talk about missing the point.

a) you dont speak for norwich football club.

b) do you know what our ticketing policy is ? no, so why should we know what yours is ?

c) if this is happening regularly then why dont norwich simply allocate 450 tickets and then state its all ticket for away fans and none will be available on the day. that way you dont get folk making 12 hour journeys and not getting in.

d) is any of this on your official website cos i cant see it ?

what a prize fooking prick you are sonny.

Now some good points to be fair to them....but i saw a good few stewards sitting in seats in that end, aswell as empty ones. I also glanced over and noticed several fans sitting in the jarrold stand home section frontish row, go walk down the front and try to talk to stewards in the Hartlepool end before being sent back to the home end - was this Hartlepool fans in the home end???

This is not the 1st time this season we have upset the away fans. Perhaps leaving 100-200 seats for sale on the day for away fans would solve this???

It''s the "real club" versus "commercial enterprise" conundrum....

We''ve lost our grassroot mentality where football fans are the bedrock of the game and replaced it with the cynical season ticket scam which excludes casual home and away supporters. That way only the appropriate spectators get in.

No wonder the ground sounds like a cross between a Royal garden party and a doctor''s surgery these days........

Why should we have to leave 100-200 tickets? Hartlepool tell us how many tickets they want. We give them that many tickets. It is then up to Hartlepool to announce to their fans how many tickets are available and when those tickets have run out.

If after telling their fans that there are no tickets left, some numpties decide they still fancy driving the length of the country then there is only one person to blame...

The fact of the matter is the fault lies not with Norwich City but with Hartlepool and their fans. Norwich gave Hartlepool 450 tickets but they did not sell the full allocation. There is a kiosk in the away end at CR for away fans to buy tickets on the day, for some reason circa 200 Hartlepool fans decided to travel without a ticket, consequently the "day seats" sold out quickly, those away fans that pitched up at 2:55 without a ticket expecting to get in were quite rightly told that the away end was sold out. Whilst I feel a little bit of sympathy for the away fans that could not get in it is beyond me why they would travel all that way without a ticket knowing full well that Norwich games sell out, coupled with the fact their club returned circa 200 unsold tickets!!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

I really don''t think we are in a position to leave seats empty "just in case" and lose money just to gain a bit of good will. Anyone who travels hundreds of miles on the off chance, without checking with either their club or Norwich city really is a bit silly.

I''m sure when allocations are discussed between the clubs the fact that we virtually sell out every game is mentioned so really the onus is on the visiting club to manage it. We may be dealing with clubs of a smaller size in a different situation, but every one of them has an official website and a ticket office that you can ring.

[:)]
[/quote]

I take your point but I''m not sure how it relates to my post.  I wasn''t suggesting we leave seats empty, simply that we make it crystal clear to other clubs that if their fans don''t buy a ticket in advance they may not get in. 

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="morty"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

I really don''t think we are in a position to leave seats empty "just in case" and lose money just to gain a bit of good will. Anyone who travels hundreds of miles on the off chance, without checking with either their club or Norwich city really is a bit silly.

I''m sure when allocations are discussed between the clubs the fact that we virtually sell out every game is mentioned so really the onus is on the visiting club to manage it. We may be dealing with clubs of a smaller size in a different situation, but every one of them has an official website and a ticket office that you can ring.

[:)]
[/quote]

I take your point but I''m not sure how it relates to my post.  I wasn''t suggesting we leave seats empty, simply that we make it crystal clear to other clubs that if their fans don''t buy a ticket in advance they may not get in. 

[/quote]

PS.  I don''t think you can dismiss fans as silly if they''ve been following League 1 teams for years and are used to paying on the day.  It''s up to us to adapt to the league we''re in.  Also there aren''t many clubs like ours which have an expandable away section.  If fans see on the website that our away capacity is 2,000 or whatever it is, they''re not going to know what the situation is unless someone tells them.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="morty"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]I really don''t think we are in a position to leave seats empty "just in case" and lose money just to gain a bit of good will. Anyone who travels hundreds of miles on the off chance, without checking with either their club or Norwich city really is a bit silly.I''m sure when allocations are discussed between the clubs the fact that we virtually sell out every game is mentioned so really the onus is on the visiting club to manage it. We may be dealing with clubs of a smaller size in a different situation, but every one of them has an official website and a ticket office that you can ring.[:)][/quote]

[/quote]

PS.  I don''t think you can dismiss fans as silly if they''ve been following League 1 teams for years and are used to paying on the day.  It''s up to us to adapt to the league we''re in.  Also there aren''t many clubs like ours which have an expandable away section.  If fans see on the website that our away capacity is 2,000 or whatever it is, they''re not going to know what the situation is unless someone tells them.

[/quote]

well said CC.....

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]The fact of the matter is the fault lies not with Norwich City but with Hartlepool and their fans. Norwich gave Hartlepool 450 tickets but they did not sell the full allocation. There is a kiosk in the away end at CR for away fans to buy tickets on the day, for some reason circa 200 Hartlepool fans decided to travel without a ticket, consequently the "day seats" sold out quickly, those away fans that pitched up at 2:55 without a ticket expecting to get in were quite rightly told that the away end was sold out. Whilst I feel a little bit of sympathy for the away fans that could not get in it is beyond me why they would travel all that way without a ticket knowing full well that Norwich games sell out, coupled with the fact their club returned circa 200 unsold tickets!![/quote]

But what they didn''t know is that although our away capacity is officially 2,000, in practice it usually isn''t.  They would assume that if Hartlepool had 450 tickets to sell in advance, that left 1,500+ available on the day.  Our away section is expandable, which isn''t very common even in the higher leagues.  All we need to do is make the situation crystal clear.

This is ridiculous. We offer the opposing club upto 2,000 tickets, it is then up to the club, be it Hartlepool, Brentford, Colchester or Southampton to decide how many of those 2,000 tickets they want.

It is then that clubs responsibility to advertise the tickets, sell the tickets and give any information about the tickets to their fans.

Hartlepool should have been the ''someone'' telling their fans what the deal was not us.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="morty"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]I really don''t think we are in a position to leave seats empty "just in case" and lose money just to gain a bit of good will. Anyone who travels hundreds of miles on the off chance, without checking with either their club or Norwich city really is a bit silly.I''m sure when allocations are discussed between the clubs the fact that we virtually sell out every game is mentioned so really the onus is on the visiting club to manage it. We may be dealing with clubs of a smaller size in a different situation, but every one of them has an official website and a ticket office that you can ring.[:)][/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Whilst I agree with you really the onus is on the individual to check before they travel, or the club to make the position clear to their fans. I''m not dismissing themas silly, but if I was going to travel a long way I wouldn''t leave such things to chance.This isn''t in any way arrogant about our position, but would you turn up to Old trafford on a matchday and expect to get in?

[quote user="jammis"]

This is ridiculous. We offer the opposing club upto 2,000 tickets, it is then up to the club, be it Hartlepool, Brentford, Colchester or Southampton to decide how many of those 2,000 tickets they want.

It is then that clubs responsibility to advertise the tickets, sell the tickets and give any information about the tickets to their fans.

Hartlepool should have been the ''someone'' telling their fans what the deal was not us.

[/quote]

Hartlepool may not have known, since we don''t offer the rest of the away allocation for sale to home fans until a few days before the game.  I believe Brentford tried to order more after they got knocked out of the Cup on the Tuesday night and were told there were none left. 

It''s a simple communication problem, all we need to do is spell it out, how difficult is that?  I''ve emailed the ticket office at CR about this.

[quote user="morty"]

This isn''t in any way arrogant about our position, but would you turn up to Old trafford on a matchday and expect to get in?
[/quote]

PMSL [:D]

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="morty"]

This isn''t in any way arrogant about our position, but would you turn up to Old trafford on a matchday and expect to get in?[/quote]

PMSL [:D]

[/quote]Well you get what I mean, we draw some of the biggest crowds in the division.I wasn''t directly comparing us to Man U lol.[;)]

It is naive to expect Norwich to allocate 1200 tickets for a team, in the full knowledge that less than a third of those would be sold. As I said before I do have some sympathy for those Hartlepool fans that could not get in, however as I pointed out Hartlepool returned circa 200 unsold tickets of the circa 450 THEY asked for. Norwich do offer "day tickets" to awy fans and as I said these sold out quickly. It is very easy to blame Norwich for this but in my opinion the fault lies with Hartlepool for not making it clear to their fans that "day tickets" would be limited.

As Jammis rightly pointed out earlier Norwich offer all clubs the full allocation. The club then selects how many tickets they want and are responsible for selling them. Any that they do not sell can be either sold back to Norwich (if norwich want them) or the away club end up footing the bill for their empty seats. Seen as though advertising, ticketing, allocation is up to the away team I really do not see how this incident can be Norwich''s fault? I don''t understand what you''re getting at Cherub?

It''s the job of our ticket office to maximise the amout of bums on seats that generates our revenue. Clearly if a club doesn''t want their allocation then we can sell these to City fans but once they have ''handed them back'' they are ours to sell. I would say, as it was the biggest crowd of the season it was job done and probably the biggest ever ''City'' turnout in recent years!!

I would end by saying I do feel sorry for any HUFC fans that failed to get in.