Sign in to follow this  
Brentwood Yellow

Media Favourites

Is anyone else getting a bit sick of tired of the media''s love for Iain Dowie? In recent months we''ve read articles along the lines of "Dowie has cracked the Premiership", "the best young manager in the country", "Palace are the best team to have come up" etc etc.

He has also created the word "bouncebackability" which Soccer AM have nearly wet themselves in excitement over and several betting sites believe we are more likely to go down than they are despite being above them

Don''t get me wrong, he seems like a nice person, and finishing 20 points above them last season doesn''t count for anything this season, but he seems over hyped to me. Even when he took over last season, from that day on points for points we still took more than they did.

Is it because he manages a London team?

I also believe their next target for overpraising will be Redknapp. Say they beat Man U at home on the last day of the season to stay up, just think of the media''s reaction to that - "Saint Harry" etc.

with our record of having got something out of a game more times than any other premier side (8) I think we are the definition of bouncebackability.If the media attention focuses elsewhere I am quite happy as it places pressure on them not us - the same with lawros predictions, I am sure they are used to motivate the team. Long may we be overlooked.OTBC

Let them focus on Palace. If we can quietly draw away from the relegation battle and steadilly secure points, whilst the media talk about Palace - a team whose form is stuttering, so much the better.

I quite like Dowie, he''s an intelligent bloke and blatantly a very very good manager. It''s probably for those reasons the media like him, and of course being in London helps....

Dowies going to make the news more than Worthy because he stands out (not just his mad look) and he''s a huge self publicist.

I didn''t say he was any good - but he has craftily marketed himselef - his engineering degree, his brother, his quirky training regime, his motivation techniques etc  .....yawn, yawn.

When Palace crash, as I believe they will - they are a two man team after all - he''ll be drowned in a chorus of silence - who''ll want to know him.

Worthy - the quiet man, know what I mean, will eventually prevail.

In any case, we''ve had our share of hype. Palace supporters and the rest must be bored rigid by the Norwich - Delia bandwagon - but long may it roll on.

I''d agree; keep the spotlight on some other team and allow City to do their own thing. We all see what''s going on and how things are progressing for City at Colney and Carrow Road via here and the main website - mass national media as a whole tends to create more problems than it offers solutions, see the Bentley situation as a guide to that. The less the spotlight shines our way, the less the boat will get rocked by OTT stories and inane rumours of little or no merit...

I think the media are starting to lose interest in palace - they won a couple of games and everyone was shouting about them, but their recent form has been average and the media have somewhat lessened in their blessing of palace.

City always seem to be well liked whereas WBA no seem to be the team everyone likes to criticise. This is fine by me, I just wish people would recognise that city have had no money to spend.

:

Dowie deserves all the credit he gets IMO.  He took over a team that looked good for relegation, got them promoted to the prem and and has won some games this season. 

If it had been Worthy who had done that we would all be looking for him to get recognition wouldn''t we?  Why is it a bad thing for him to have a degree in engineering, by the way?