Sign in to follow this  
plymouth yellow

Armed Forces

After reading a few post on here I have realised that 1 or 2 people have been in the Forces. Was just wondering how many of my fellow posters are either Forces or ex Forces?

I will start.

I was a Leading Marine Engineer Machanic (killick stoker) in the Royal Navy. Left for a woman!! Looking at rejoining as she ditched me!! Bright side Norwich have a new fan!! Down side I have to see her every home game I travell from Plymouth.

Ex squaddie,joined up at careers office on Magdalen St in May 84.Joined the RCT(Royal Corps of Transport) and did 2 years in Bunde(Germany),then on to Belize for 6 mths.Then to Ulster for 3 years,then back to Belize before going back to Ulster for 4 years.Played football for the Army and Combined Services for 4 years(the Army goalkeeper at the time was Maik Taylor,still at Birmingham i think.My service life was the best years of my life and given the chance would do it all again...............Dismissed

@ py - ex-navy submariner, been out 6 years but still in guzz. Its a long way from carra rud! All of you check out Forces2Canaries, its the supporters group for members and ex-members of all services with branches all round the country.

[quote user="morty"]I was in the RAF for 22 years, left two years ago.

Ground electrical engineer.
[/quote]

Civilians in uniform!

I am currently serving at RAF Marham, leaving the RAF in November 2010 after 26 years as I have had enough, its not what it used to be!!!

Whilst not in the Forces myself, my Dad was a Warrant Officer of the 3rd Royal Anglian Regiment, but that was a while back now.Consequently, I was born in Northern Ireland, and my siblings in Germany, where I grew up.

Not in the army myself.......though sometimes felt like it!! An "army wife" for 16 years. Hubby was in REME and we did tours in England(Aldershot, Tidworth) Germany(Paderborn/Sennelager x2, Verden) and a great 2 year tour in Lisburn NI. It was a fantastic life, still miss it and he finished in 1990!! though would hate to be doing it now what with Afghanistan.

[quote user="Diesel Doris"]Not in the army myself.......though sometimes felt like it!! An "army wife" for 16 years. Hubby was in REME and we did tours in England(Aldershot, Tidworth) Germany(Paderborn/Sennelager x2, Verden) and a great 2 year tour in Lisburn NI. It was a fantastic life, still miss it and he finished in 1990!! though would hate to be doing it now what with Afghanistan.[/quote]

DD, you didn''t happen to be in Tidworth from 74-78, was there doing the AMFL role?

6 yrs at RAF Coltishall as a lecky in the RAF , now a civvy living in lincolnshire working at RAF Digby, i can stand on the grass now and nobody shouts at me lol !

[quote user="baldyboy"]I am currently serving at RAF Marham, leaving the RAF in November 2010 after 26 years as I have had enough, its not what it used to be!!![/quote]That was my last posting, no wonder you''re looking forward to getting out!

[quote user="kye5"]6 yrs at RAF Coltishall as a lecky in the RAF , now a civvy living in lincolnshire working at RAF Digby, i can stand on the grass now and nobody shouts at me lol ![/quote]I did 3 stints at Coltishall, crying shame they closed it, cracking place!

[quote user="Diesel Doris"]In Tidworth March 75 - Mar 77 spent quite a few nights boozing it up in Cholderton Crown!![B][<:o)][/quote]

Was down in Portsmouth in May for a few days and popped in on the way home, never recognised the place, changed so much.

13 years in the Senior Service til 1998 - served on HMS Bristol, Ark Royal, Invincible, Westminster, Southampton & Coventry.

Great times.

Can vouch for Gus and the F2C lads - beer, City and dits. It doesn''t get much better.

[quote user="a man called horse"]ex leacing seaman RN  here. still managed the three wembley finals though.[/quote]

that should have said ex leading seaman.

joined in 1964 and trained at ganges& vernon went on to serve on board glasserton,zulu,chichester,lincoln,hermes,& andromeda.if only we could turn back the clock.great times

well its a good turn out so far, am sure there are a few more. Will check out that group, pretty sure i was chatting to one of you guys in Guzz dockyard. Its true though the mates and times you have in the forces are second to none.

Over my ten years I served on Illustrious, Liverpool and the Bulwark as a Landing craft Engineer as part of 4ASRM.

and yes Morty u have guessed like father like son!!

I am sure one of the Forces group guys could answer, but do Norwich often do anything for the brave lads and lasses past and present?

The Club have helped out a lot!

They always have a ''military'' theme for the match closest to Rememberence Sunday, and usually have the poppy embroidered into their shirts.

This season, as part of the football league, they are also sponsoring Help for Heroes!

[quote user="plymouth yellow"]

well its a good turn out so far, am sure there are a few more. Will check out that group, pretty sure i was chatting to one of you guys in Guzz dockyard. Its true though the mates and times you have in the forces are second to none.

Over my ten years I served on Illustrious, Liverpool and the Bulwark as a Landing craft Engineer as part of 4ASRM.

and yes Morty u have guessed like father like son!!

I am sure one of the Forces group guys could answer, but do Norwich often do anything for the brave lads and lasses past and present?

[/quote]

You lads on here from the Royal Anglians must know of,or remember,my brother..........Robert Hill(Hilly).If you do,drop me a message and i''ll pass it on to him.....

Attn of Diesel Doris....i was in Lisburn between 88-91-then a 6mth gap-then back to Lisburn till demob in 94........I was in 26 sqn RCT,does your husband remember me.....Midnight was my nickname.....

Any of you who have served have my absolute respect and thanks. That never changes.

I watched a program about the Falklands War, and was so expectant, torn, thrilled, crushed,proud, wishing-I-coulda-been-there-but-glad-I-wasn''t, for all of them.

Looking back, it was an easy win for us, but at the time, it was not. Those people went into something they had no chance of winning, and they won it. It was not a soccer match, it was real life. Thank God we won. The Falklands IS a little piece of England way ''round the world. Let it be. It''s a piece of us that needs to be kept that way. The entire world benefits as it is more than they would othewise. Rule Britannia.