Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

DOC IN THE FRAME

Now I am beginning to realise that I am wrong about Houston and others opinions of The Doc. They call it as they see it which is what I do. In fact it''s all any of us can do. In the games I watch The Doc is solid, makes few mistakes, regularly beats opponenents for pace and gives away less than one penalty a season. But our friend Houston and others in the far flung corners of the universe see the American remakes of theses games. Just like the American remakes of other British TV these programmes are still good but very different. Where as in the games we see Doherty is a bit of a comic book hero, manfully defending for the badge while making the odd catastrophic mistake. In these remakes Donkerty is a comic book villain giving away endless free kicks and penalties as he single handedly takes Norwich from the Premier League to the Third Division.

So I now realise, thanks to yellow hammer''s excellent post, that I should count my lucky stars. I am lucky to see the British version live and should make more allowances for those unfortunate enough to have to watch the American remakes. But where all this doesn''t add up for me is in the universal acceptance that the excellent Ricardo''s match reports are a true reflection of the action. So I think we should play a little game with the search box and find Ricardo''s reports for the games that Gary Doherty was that liability that went hand in hand with our great clubs demise.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

It was poor defending as a team,  v poor and symptomatic of the poor midfield performance all round.

[/quote]

At both the Walsall game and yesterdays game I noticed the midfield taking the easy option and passing the ball to the centre backs more often. This puts those players and the whole team under pressure. Especially on Tuesday where the ball was getting stuck in their feet. I guess we "****ing miss Grant Holt" and I am very apprehensive about next weeks game. Defend from the front[:^)] You betcha[Y]

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]The spin is, that was my point to begin with, and all the Doherty eunichs came running to spout nonsense about whether or not I got to games, as if that is the only way to judge somebody. Your latest comment is the first to clearly reference comments. However, even the seemingly negative comments I have seen about him lately strike me as humor, not hatred. Phucker has resorted to saying this is just a wind up! Come on, gut! You just proved me right in denying it was a wind up. Phucker is out of bullets. You all jumped to the wrong conclusion regarding my original comment and now you''re trying desparately to wiggle your way out by changing the subject. I don''t deny there are still a rare few serious anti-Doherty comments, but they are not showing up much on the PinkUn threads I look at. If you are trying to justify this over-the-top response to the fantasized attack on Gary Doherty on the basis that you hear comments about town, then you need to respond to those comments about town, not to my comment that you misunderstood.[/quote]

mmm a bit more bollox. Don''t confuse humourous comments with a not very cleverly disguised dig, if you do, you seriously underestimate a few posters here. Can''t see what wrong conclusions I''ve made, no desparation, no wiggling. I''d love to stick to the subject but you seemed to have clouded that beyond recognition. I ain''t trying to justify anything. The only thing I was defending was the original post from twattish responses like yours. Of course i enter into discussions about comments I hear, about many topics NCFC, that is what we do. I was just trying to point out that you may not be aware that some of his knockers have not gone away just because there is a stay of execution on here. Talking of over the top responses - check out your initial one. Your very clever posts may have confused me but not fooled me.

[/quote] So you admit you were confused. Thanks. So sorry if you read into my comment something that was never there. It''s my fault you assume the worst. Yes, I see most of his knockers have gone away. I have stated that repeatedly for the obvious-deaf, which apparently includes you, gut. A "cleverly disguised dig" can be humorous, nitwit. It WAS humorous, so I acknowledged it as such. Time to change your diaper, you whinger. There is no denegration of Doherty on this thread, but you and your ilk keep reacting as if there is. Check the latest comment, the one above this one. That is WAY worse than anything I even remotely implied, and yet when I looked at it, I laughed because I don''t take your love affair with the image you have of Doherty personally. Ease up, buster. We''re all on the same side. The game kicks off in just a few more hours and we should not be divided going into it. You come across as a numpty who would love to see us lose because Nelson screws up 4 times rather than a true fan like I am who would love to see us win no matter who makes it happen. Doherty has played very well for us since his return to the starting line up! Whiners have not stopped crying about his supposed greatness for years! YOU are the ones who can''t get a grip.[/quote]

I can''t be arsed trying to have a sensible debate with you Houston. My true feelings will have to be displayed. You are a right fuching prick with a childish way of arguing. The more I read your reply the more of a prick I think you are, it''s virtually impossible to have a proper debate. Where''s the whinging. True fan - what a twat. There''s only one thing I want to get a grip on, and that''s you, you cunt.

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]The spin is, that was my point to begin with, and all the Doherty eunichs came running to spout nonsense about whether or not I got to games, as if that is the only way to judge somebody. Your latest comment is the first to clearly reference comments. However, even the seemingly negative comments I have seen about him lately strike me as humor, not hatred. Phucker has resorted to saying this is just a wind up! Come on, gut! You just proved me right in denying it was a wind up. Phucker is out of bullets. You all jumped to the wrong conclusion regarding my original comment and now you''re trying desparately to wiggle your way out by changing the subject. I don''t deny there are still a rare few serious anti-Doherty comments, but they are not showing up much on the PinkUn threads I look at. If you are trying to justify this over-the-top response to the fantasized attack on Gary Doherty on the basis that you hear comments about town, then you need to respond to those comments about town, not to my comment that you misunderstood.[/quote]

mmm a bit more bollox. Don''t confuse humourous comments with a not very cleverly disguised dig, if you do, you seriously underestimate a few posters here. Can''t see what wrong conclusions I''ve made, no desparation, no wiggling. I''d love to stick to the subject but you seemed to have clouded that beyond recognition. I ain''t trying to justify anything. The only thing I was defending was the original post from twattish responses like yours. Of course i enter into discussions about comments I hear, about many topics NCFC, that is what we do. I was just trying to point out that you may not be aware that some of his knockers have not gone away just because there is a stay of execution on here. Talking of over the top responses - check out your initial one. Your very clever posts may have confused me but not fooled me.

[/quote] So you admit you were confused. Thanks. So sorry if you read into my comment something that was never there. It''s my fault you assume the worst. Yes, I see most of his knockers have gone away. I have stated that repeatedly for the obvious-deaf, which apparently includes you, gut. A "cleverly disguised dig" can be humorous, nitwit. It WAS humorous, so I acknowledged it as such. Time to change your diaper, you whinger. There is no denegration of Doherty on this thread, but you and your ilk keep reacting as if there is. Check the latest comment, the one above this one. That is WAY worse than anything I even remotely implied, and yet when I looked at it, I laughed because I don''t take your love affair with the image you have of Doherty personally. Ease up, buster. We''re all on the same side. The game kicks off in just a few more hours and we should not be divided going into it. You come across as a numpty who would love to see us lose because Nelson screws up 4 times rather than a true fan like I am who would love to see us win no matter who makes it happen. Doherty has played very well for us since his return to the starting line up! Whiners have not stopped crying about his supposed greatness for years! YOU are the ones who can''t get a grip.[/quote]

I can''t be arsed trying to have a sensible debate with you Houston. My true feelings will have to be displayed. You are a right fuching prick with a childish way of arguing. The more I read your reply the more of a prick I think you are, it''s virtually impossible to have a proper debate. Where''s the whinging. True fan - what a twat. There''s only one thing I want to get a grip on, and that''s you, you cunt.

[/quote]Thanks for telling us that. Really wise words. I can see how difficult it must have been debating with these posters and their childish ways. It must be difficult for you being so cerebral and truly frustrating that no one understands you.

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="The gut"]

[/quote]

Thanks for telling us that. Really wise words. I can see how difficult it must have been debating with these posters and their childish ways. It must be difficult for you being so cerebral and truly frustrating that no one understands you.

[/quote]

You''re welcome. I never professed to be wise, bit thick me, and not very well educated either but do try my best to put a decent argument together. Had to look up cerebral, so obviously that isn''t me, but i do find it frustrating that some posts are like arguments with 13 year old kids, especially when one of them claims to be a teacher. When people like me have done their best to use reason we do unfortunately and ashamedly revert to type, bad language and violence. Ridicule as much as you like, it is smart arse comments that help me realise I''d rather be the way I am. I''ve spent my whole life being misunderstood, but that tends to worry other people more than me.

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="The gut"]

[/quote]Thanks for telling us that. Really wise words. I can see how difficult it must have been debating with these posters and their childish ways. It must be difficult for you being so cerebral and truly frustrating that no one understands you.

[/quote]

You''re welcome. I never professed to be wise, bit thick me, and not very well educated either but do try my best to put a decent argument together. Had to look up cerebral, so obviously that isn''t me, but i do find it frustrating that some posts are like arguments with 13 year old kids, especially when one of them claims to be a teacher. When people like me have done their best to use reason we do unfortunately and ashamedly revert to type, bad language and violence. Ridicule as much as you like, it is smart arse comments that help me realise I''d rather be the way I am. I''ve spent my whole life being misunderstood, but that tends to worry other people more than me.

[/quote]fair enough mate...............I actually quite like self deprecating humour and you''re pretty good at it......................I don''t like bad language (potty mouths - for HC) or direct insults hence my post. I also don''t like bad defending - but I''m trying to like the Doc, I''m really trying.

The gut, please show me which part of the 2 comments of mine you hi-lighted were offensive or unsensible.

I am not impossible to debate, although I am close to impossible to prove wrong when I know I am right. That''s not a character flaw on my part. In fact, standing by your word is admirable.

You and your ilk are the ones who keep twisting my words, or adding meaning to them that is not there, and you want ME to backoff? Fat chance of that, Sparky. You get so wound up, now you admit you want to physically harm me! Holy cow, boy, calm down! You must have Gary Doherty wall paper and bedsheets if you are that invested in the debate. AND the point from the start was that THERE HAS NOT BEEN AN ANTI-DOHERTY THREAD IN AGES. That was my point, so you and the other weak knees keep changing it. There are anti-GD comments. I never said otherwise. There are anti-GD groans. I never said otherwise, I just pointed out that whoever made that claim was dishonest about it when he said that was the only groan all day long.

Come on, be arsed just one more time and answer me!

[quote user="Scottlarock"]...There are so many tail chasing Gary Doherty appologists on here it''s frightening. Some of the more frenzied are just unwilling to read posts correctly and in fact mine have been quite positive towards him.[/quote]Oh give over and get your head out of your a**e. I don''t see many people who are "chasing their tails" in defence of Doherty, but in fact putting across a pretty well balanced argument. Just because you don''t agree with them, doesn''t make them frenzied.[quote user="Scottlarock"]There is no doubt over the past three seasons he has contributed more rather than less to our downfall.....he''s reputedly a Premiership defender in LEAGUE ONE..................it''s great he''s managed to string some great performances together in a winning team (because he was a total disaster in losing ones)..........he owes us and I for one expect him to bust a gut and drag us up the leagues...............and then he''ll be exposed again like at Spurs and us in the Premiership and Championship.So well done Gary for the performances this season against the likes of Yeovil, Brighton and Wycombe.

[/quote]Of course he has been partly responsible, just like every other player at the club over the past few seasons. I don''t think anybody would disagree with that, but what I would like to point out is that he is certainly not the major reason we have been shocking, and in fact he has put in far greater effort than a lot of other players - many of whom have since left the club.I doubt he would be good enough at Premiership level, and I''m not entirely sure where you''ve got your "Premiership defender in League One" rhetoric from (presumably the same place you got the "frenzied tail-chasing Doherty apologists" line from), but there''s no doubt that he deserves great credit for putting in good performances this season. If you want to hold him solely accountable for the past few seasons, then that is your prerogative, but I do notice that you don''t seem to bang on nearly as much about players like Russell, Wes, Martin, and Drury "owing us".

I see you''ve gone and knocked another one out, Houston. And the same old tripe.

It''s a disease over there isn''t it? Dubya made our world a more dangerous place with his ''I''m right'' mentality.'' And that was opinion based on nothing at all. Like your economy was based on nothing at all and now Obama''s vision threatens to turn into nothing at all.

Insist all you like but don''t expect to be taken seriously my man.

Bush? Obama? How hung over are you, RuPhuck? What do any of them have to do with your idol, Doherty?

You wanna change the topic AGAIN! YAWN. Economy based on nothing? HA HA HA HA What uni did you get your Ph.D from?

All I know is: I apparently owe tens of thousands to my banks for being stupid enough to lend money to your trailer trash.

Plus another premium for securing your overseas oil reserves so 3% of the world population can use 50% of the resources.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Scottlarock"]...There are so many tail chasing Gary Doherty appologists on here it''s frightening. Some of the more frenzied are just unwilling to read posts correctly and in fact mine have been quite positive towards him.[/quote]Oh give over and get your head out of your a**e. I don''t see many people who are "chasing their tails" in defence of Doherty, but in fact putting across a pretty well balanced argument. Just because you don''t agree with them, doesn''t make them frenzied.[quote user="Scottlarock"]There is no doubt over the past three seasons he has contributed more rather than less to our downfall.....he''s reputedly a Premiership defender in LEAGUE ONE..................it''s great he''s managed to string some great performances together in a winning team (because he was a total disaster in losing ones)..........he owes us and I for one expect him to bust a gut and drag us up the leagues...............and then he''ll be exposed again like at Spurs and us in the Premiership and Championship.So well done Gary for the performances this season against the likes of Yeovil, Brighton and Wycombe.

[/quote]Of course he has been partly responsible, just like every other player at the club over the past few seasons. I don''t think anybody would disagree with that, but what I would like to point out is that he is certainly not the major reason we have been shocking, and in fact he has put in far greater effort than a lot of other players - many of whom have since left the club.I doubt he would be good enough at Premiership level, and I''m not entirely sure where you''ve got your "Premiership defender in League One" rhetoric from (presumably the same place you got the "frenzied tail-chasing Doherty apologists" line from), but there''s no doubt that he deserves great credit for putting in good performances this season. If you want to hold him solely accountable for the past few seasons, then that is your prerogative, but I do notice that you don''t seem to bang on nearly as much about players like Russell, Wes, Martin, and Drury "owing us".[/quote]my head isn''t in that place you mention....thanks for that balanced bit of debate and indeed, welcome to it.I never said he was - it''s just that this is a thread about the Do so therefore you may find it a bit biased towards talking about the Doc.Sorry, I got that from fact and history. He was a premiership defender with Spurs and was bought by us to replace Malky and try to establish ourselves in the Premiership. Not rhetoric and not the same place I got the ''tail chasing'' bit from......I made that up myself.....using imagination.Because thay haven''t been here as long as the Doc or bought in to establish us a premiership side. In case you weren''t aware Rusty was at Stoke then and Drury isn''t comparable to Doc in any way shape and form.....especially with his injuries in recent years...So yes, I''m very sorry for talking about the Doc in a Doc thread.

Well no apologies from me Sad Old...  In my eyes while both Doherty and Nelson are doing an ok job at this very poor standard, they are both a disaster waiting to happen!  For me Doherty and Nelson are our 4th and 5th choice centre backs and when we come up against better opposition I think you will find that they will play very few games between them if other players are fit.Let us look at the last two games for the evidence.  At home to Hartlepool on Saturday there were countless mistakes by both players that they would simply of not got away with against better opposition.  The whole team looked worried as a result of some very poor defending and sat deeper and deeper throughout Saturday''s match.  A Championship team with better quality strikers would of taken advantage of that and put us to the sword!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now I am beginning to realise that I am wrong about Houston and others opinions of The Doc. They call it as they see it which is what I do. In fact it''s all any of us can do. In the games I watch The Doc is solid, makes few mistakes, regularly beats opponenents for pace and gives away less than one penalty a season. But our friend Houston and others in the far flung corners of the universe see the American remakes of theses games. Just like the American remakes of other British TV these programmes are still good but very different. Where as in the games we see Doherty is a bit of a comic book hero, manfully defending for the badge while making the odd catastrophic mistake. In these remakes Donkerty is a comic book villain giving away endless free kicks and penalties as he single handedly takes Norwich from the Premier League to the Third Division.

So I now realise, thanks to yellow hammer''s excellent post, that I should count my lucky stars. I am lucky to see the British version live and should make more allowances for those unfortunate enough to have to watch the American remakes. But where all this doesn''t add up for me is in the universal acceptance that the excellent Ricardo''s match reports are a true reflection of the action. So I think we should play a little game with the search box and find Ricardo''s reports for the games that Gary Doherty was that liability that went hand in hand with our great clubs demise.

[/quote]Do you think that both the Doc and Nelson had a good game Saturday Nutty???

[quote user="Smudger"]Well no apologies from me Sad Old...  In my eyes while both Doherty and Nelson are doing an ok job at this very poor standard, they are both a disaster waiting to happen! 

For me Doherty and Nelson are our 4th and 5th choice centre backs and when we come up against better opposition I think you will find that they will play very few games between them if other players are fit.

Let us look at the last two games for the evidence.  At home to Hartlepool on Saturday there were countless mistakes by both players that they would simply of not got away with against better opposition.  The whole team looked worried as a result of some very poor defending and sat deeper and deeper throughout Saturday''s match.  A Championship team with better quality strikers would of taken advantage of that and put us to the sword!
[/quote]

Countless mistakes against Hartlepool?  WTF are you talking about, they were both solid. 4th and 5th choice eh? And you would have who ahead of them? Typical idiotic post from the forum''s number one idiot.

[quote user="Dicky"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Well no apologies from me Sad Old...  In my eyes while both Doherty and Nelson are doing an ok job at this very poor standard, they are both a disaster waiting to happen!  For me Doherty and Nelson are our 4th and 5th choice centre backs and when we come up against better opposition I think you will find that they will play very few games between them if other players are fit.Let us look at the last two games for the evidence.  At home to Hartlepool on Saturday there were countless mistakes by both players that they would simply of not got away with against better opposition.  The whole team looked worried as a result of some very poor defending and sat deeper and deeper throughout Saturday''s match.  A Championship team with better quality strikers would of taken advantage of that and put us to the sword![/quote]

Countless mistakes against Hartlepool?  WTF are you talking about, they were both solid. 4th and 5th choice eh? And you would have who ahead of them? Typical idiotic post from the forum''s number one idiot.

[/quote]Sums up your knowledge of the game if you think they were both solid in that game.  Askou and Spillane still both ahead of them if fit and more than likely Whitbread when he gets to full fitness and a run of games under his belt also.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Dicky"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Well no apologies from me Sad Old...  In my eyes while both Doherty and Nelson are doing an ok job at this very poor standard, they are both a disaster waiting to happen!  For me Doherty and Nelson are our 4th and 5th choice centre backs and when we come up against better opposition I think you will find that they will play very few games between them if other players are fit.Let us look at the last two games for the evidence.  At home to Hartlepool on Saturday there were countless mistakes by both players that they would simply of not got away with against better opposition.  The whole team looked worried as a result of some very poor defending and sat deeper and deeper throughout Saturday''s match.  A Championship team with better quality strikers would of taken advantage of that and put us to the sword![/quote]

[/quote]  Askou and Spillane still both ahead of them if fit and more than likely Whitbread when he gets to full fitness and a run of games under his belt also.[/quote]What makes you think that? Surely Doherty is in Lambert''s first choice pairing, if not his first choice centre back in general - I cannot believe you''re seriously suggesting Askou and Spillane would both be ahead of him in the pecking order when fit. On what exactly do you base this? Spillane had a few good games at right back but looked decidedly uncomfortable at CB whenever I saw him. Askou is a good CB for this division, but isn''t as dominant as Doc and doesn''t read the game as well.We''ll wait and see of course, but I firmly expect Doc to keep hold of his place unless something catastrophic happens. Weren''t you the chap who was predicting Hoolahan to be sold/not contribute/not score 15 goals?

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]  Askou and Spillane still both ahead of them if fit and more than likely Whitbread when he gets to full fitness and a run of games under his belt also.[/quote]What makes you think that? Surely Doherty is in Lambert''s first choice pairing, if not his first choice centre back in general - I cannot believe you''re seriously suggesting Askou and Spillane would both be ahead of him in the pecking order when fit. On what exactly do you base this? Spillane had a few good games at right back but looked decidedly uncomfortable at CB whenever I saw him. Askou is a good CB for this division, but isn''t as dominant as Doc and doesn''t read the game as well.We''ll wait and see of course, but I firmly expect Doc to keep hold of his place unless something catastrophic happens. Weren''t you the chap who was predicting Hoolahan to be sold/not contribute/not score 15 goals?[/quote]Lambert is enjoying the Docs rennaissance just now but I can''t imagine him gambling with him in the Championship. What do you think PL said to his Colchester team on Aug 8th about Doc was it....a. Boys, we could be in trouble today as Gunny has just named the Doc in the team, we''re going to have to grind out a draw or summat.orb. Run at the Doc and pressure him as much as possible because if we can get his head down or a mistake out of him in the first five mins he and the defence will crumble.

What do you think?

I thought they had a good game Smugger.

The problem was our midfielders were heavy legged and dropped too deep. That not only put the defence under pressure but didn''t give them an out ball either; so there was a lot of square passing (which was sensible and patient in the circumstances).

Holt is a player who defends from the front - hence he is possibly the biggest foul committer in the league. He also provides for a long out ball and without him we lack that.

In a tired team both Doc and Nelson showed tremendous stamina and the original theme of the thread was about Doc''s efforts being showcased by the fact he was at the forefront of the attack too at Walsall when Cody struck.

Doc shows tremendous attitude, he knows he isn''t the greatest and not being a person who puts himself on a pedestal and does his very best he does not deserve the derision.

I would rather deride Cureton for example with all his bleeding yellow and green hogwash when all he does is bleed the yellow and green.

[quote user="Smudger"]
Do you think that both the Doc and Nelson had a good game Saturday Nutty???
[/quote]

You saw what I thought earlier in the thread. You were at Walsall and you saw our midfield continually put the centre backs under pressure on a very difficult pitch. Doc and Nelson have been put under pressure by our own players in the last couple of games. Partly due to missing Holt and partly due to tiredness. Two difficult games after grinding out a result playing half a game with ten men would take it''s toll on any team. Despite that we got maximum points and yet you still come on here and find fault.

Smudger, you come on here and profess to know more about football than other posters and yet what you post is continually proved wrong again and again. There''s nothing wrong with this, it''s a vehicle to air opinions after all. But to challenge others with your track record is a bit much really.

If you were to put me on the spot to name our best two centre backs now I would say it would be Doc and Whitbread. I say Whitbread because he is the only left sided one of them all. But Nelson has done nothing in recent weeks to lose the shirt.

The last time I saw Spillane and Askou together we were a defensive shambles and conceded two soft goals with virtually free headers. What makes you believe they are the best?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Do you think that both the Doc and Nelson had a good game Saturday Nutty???[/quote]

You saw what I thought earlier in the thread. You were at Walsall and you saw our midfield continually put the centre backs under pressure on a very difficult pitch. Doc and Nelson have been put under pressure by our own players in the last couple of games. Partly due to missing Holt and partly due to tiredness. Two difficult games after grinding out a result playing half a game with ten men would take it''s toll on any team. Despite that we got maximum points and yet you still come on here and find fault.

Smudger, you come on here and profess to know more about football than other posters and yet what you post is continually proved wrong again and again. There''s nothing wrong with this, it''s a vehicle to air opinions after all. But to challenge others with your track record is a bit much really.

If you were to put me on the spot to name our best two centre backs now I would say it would be Doc and Whitbread. I say Whitbread because he is the only left sided one of them all. But Nelson has done nothing in recent weeks to lose the shirt.

The last time I saw Spillane and Askou together we were a defensive shambles and conceded two soft goals with virtually free headers. What makes you believe they are the best?

[/quote]My track record?How many people you used to have long debates with about where our club was going have apologised to you on here for getting it wrong Nutty???Anybody with an ounce of sense knows that the Doc and Nelson are not quality centre halves and that we have better options already in our squad if everybody is fully fit.  We have been stretching our luck in recent weeks and it has had little to do with tiredness and more to do with the fact that our centre halves are being exposed by some very poor quality strikers and our 3 man midfield is beginning to sit deeper and deeper in order to try and protect a disaster waiting to happen.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I thought they had a good game Smugger.

The problem was our midfielders were heavy legged and dropped too deep. That not only put the defence under pressure but didn''t give them an out ball either; so there was a lot of square passing (which was sensible and patient in the circumstances).

Holt is a player who defends from the front - hence he is possibly the biggest foul committer in the league. He also provides for a long out ball and without him we lack that.

In a tired team both Doc and Nelson showed tremendous stamina and the original theme of the thread was about Doc''s efforts being showcased by the fact he was at the forefront of the attack too at Walsall when Cody struck.

Doc shows tremendous attitude, he knows he isn''t the greatest and not being a person who puts himself on a pedestal and does his very best he does not deserve the derision.

I would rather deride Cureton for example with all his bleeding yellow and green hogwash when all he does is bleed the yellow and green.[/quote]Ask yourself again why our midfielders dropped too deep Sad Old.Of course it had nothing to do with the shambolic defending going on behind them did it??? [:$]Before you started this thread was anybody on here knocking the Doc or even Nelson come to that?  They are both doing a reasonable job since they have been called upon.  Don''t ask us to apologise to a player who was brought in to play at Premiership level and has only found his feet through injuries to the rest of the squad in the 3rd tier though!

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]  Askou and Spillane still both ahead of them if fit and more than likely Whitbread when he gets to full fitness and a run of games under his belt also.[/quote]What makes you think that? Surely Doherty is in Lambert''s first choice pairing, if not his first choice centre back in general - I cannot believe you''re seriously suggesting Askou and Spillane would both be ahead of him in the pecking order when fit. On what exactly do you base this? Spillane had a few good games at right back but looked decidedly uncomfortable at CB whenever I saw him. Askou is a good CB for this division, but isn''t as dominant as Doc and doesn''t read the game as well.We''ll wait and see of course, but I firmly expect Doc to keep hold of his place unless something catastrophic happens. Weren''t you the chap who was predicting Hoolahan to be sold/not contribute/not score 15 goals?[/quote]Spillane played most of his games at centre back with a flat four in front of him in midfield.  Take Rusty out of the position he has played in since late September and you would see just how shambolic our centre back pairing is!

Smudger, the point I was making was that it was you coming on here shouting the odds about others knowing nothing about football. My point about continually getting things wrong was in response to that. Of course we all call things wrong. But here you go again "anyone with an ounce of sense"[:@]

Now Smudger, There have been plenty of other alternatives since The Doc forced his way back in the side but he has been an automatic choice. Are you suggesting Paul Lambert doesn''t have an ounce of sense?

This brings me back to my comment about the Doherty Devotees. TAKE YOUR BLINDERS OFF! He is playing well this season post-benching and nobody disagrees with that. Smudger is only saying we will have better options, not that G(o)D is poor in League 1. And I said there has not been an anti-Doherty thread in ages and all you brainwashed zombies come on and say he is the best player we''ve had for years even though he never seems to draw any interest from other teams when he is out of contract.

Really Nutty?  What have the plenty of options been since Doherty forced his way back in to the side?  I would say that "forced his way back in to the side" are very strange words to use given that he only got another chance given the injury situation at Carrow Road, or are you forgetting that the main reason that Doherty got another chance was due to injuries of both Askou and Spillane plus Nelson also?  I am not saying that he has not stepped in and done well, but lets not kid ourselves that he has cemented a place in Lambert''s long term plans shall we?  We will only see if that is the case when he proves week in week out that he can perform against a better standard of opposition.  Unfortunately he is not likely to find too many teams with the ability to seriously test our defence while we are in this league (especially since we havea real player who has not put a foot wrong this season in Darel Russell taking much pressure off whoever has been playing as centre half since late September).

[quote user="Houston Canary"]This brings me back to my comment about the Doherty Devotees. TAKE YOUR BLINDERS OFF! He is playing well this season post-benching and nobody disagrees with that. Smudger is only saying we will have better options, not that G(o)D is poor in League 1. And I said there has not been an anti-Doherty thread in ages and all you brainwashed zombies come on and say he is the best player we''ve had for years even though he never seems to draw any interest from other teams when he is out of contract.[/quote]All I can say is that if Lambert plays Doherty and/or Nelson at the back next season if we are promoted then we are in for one hell of a very long season once more in the Championship (althoough I am sure that Mr Lambert knows this already).

Anyone that thinks Spillane is a better CB than the Doc or Nelson needs to take a big reality check!

Spillane is a good RB but is not dominant enough in the air to be a really good CB!

An example of this is the Charlton home game last season when both of Charltons goals were scored from crosses that wern''t snuffed out by messrs Spillane and Otsemobor. Big CB''s would of cleared them!

The Doc and Nelson are far from worldbeaters but they are better than Spillane cause they are very strong in the air!