Sign in to follow this  
Allez17

Allez17's Gentlemanly Wagers

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Allez17"] how to treat it more professionally, to make money a bit more consistently than most punters. [/quote]

Best of luck mate. Ive got an old friend who is a professional gambler but he makes his money on the margins ( i.e.the slim differences between backing and laying prices). Bloody hard work by all accounts and you need to be very disciplined. that means you don''t really gamble at all but just pick up your £25 and £30''s on the margin.I see many shops closing in the High St. but none of them are Bookmakers.[/quote]Absolutely right - picking up money on margins is not exactly glamourous work but hugely valuable. Small amounts really form the bedrock of any pro-gamblers income stream.

I''m really glad that this thread will be sustained Allez17, can you explain a little bit more about this margin business, or direct me to somewhere where I could read up on it?

[quote user="fat lip"]

Some great posts here .... thanks

Any recommendations for the longer odds yankee type bet where if two or three out of four come in you are quids in?

[/quote]

This system is best used if you have 3 selections that are all decent prices and you want to cover yourself. My advice would be to use this if you fancy draws or away teams.

For example, on Tuesday I done Southampton (away at Brentford - 13/10), Preston (away at P''boro - 17/10) and Middlesboro (away at Doncaster - 2/1).

I put £2 on the treble and £2 per line on the 3 possible doubles, so laid out £8. If all had won I would have won £79, but Southampton didnt, so I won a £2 double on the other two, which paid about £16, covering my bet.

Its more used in horses as the prices are longer. If you back teams at odds on (e.g 8./11 etc) you won''t get as much back from your doubles if two short prices come in, but on the other had you don''t lose as much.

All depends on how confident you are in your selections.

[quote user="fonejacker"]I''m really glad that this thread will be sustained Allez17, can you explain a little bit more about this margin business, or direct me to somewhere where I could read up on it?[/quote]Roughly speaking, the margin game works like this. You need to have a Betfair account or similar where you are allowed in effect to lay odds. You also need a Bookmakers account and mobile internet access. The idea is to both bet and lay the same horse or dog at differing odds so that you either break even or win the margin difference.Suppose for instance you see that you can lay a horse on Betfair at evens and the board price in your local Bookies is 5/4. You can lay an even hundred and bet a 125/100 thus guarenteeing at £25 profit if it wins and a break even if it gets beat. By adjusting the amounts you bet or lay you can guarentee a smaller profit either way.It calls for a sharp brain and a strong nerve and you have to act very quickly but I know someone who does this for a living.

[quote user="fonejacker"]thanks for the help ricardo, very interesting. I might look into this more...
[/quote]

Just beware, making any money off gambling is hard enough so making a living would be very tough.

You need to have a very balanced mentality and avoid the "chase" if you lose or in this case make a mistake and miss a price.

[quote user="eagle"]

[quote user="fonejacker"]thanks for the help ricardo, very interesting. I might look into this more...[/quote]

Just beware, making any money off gambling is hard enough so making a living would be very tough.

You need to have a very balanced mentality and avoid the "chase" if you lose or in this case make a mistake and miss a price.

[/quote]Quite right to warn people Eagle. I had about 40 years experience on both sides of the book to realise that it takes a certain mentality to come out in front and very few people have what it takes.My mate treats this as his job and not as a bit of fun or a way to win a fortune. Most of us don''t have the discipline to make this work, thats why you never see a bookie on a bike.

sound advice gents. I am just looking to gain insight into more ways of betting, other than my weekly accumulator, which is more for fun than any profit (just as well really.....)[:)]

It''s also known as arbitrage, and is easier now you can have multiple online accounts and can take advantage of bookmakers differing odds. It''s not something you can make a living out of alone, as you need other tactics in your arsenal to really make a living here, but it helps. And you''re right. The discipline you need is immense. The desire to chase losses, only bet on big odds and so on - most people can''t do it, so most people bet for fun. Those that make money treat it like a job - not entirely fun, full of hard work and effort.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="eagle"]

[quote user="fonejacker"]thanks for the help ricardo, very interesting. I might look into this more...
[/quote]

[/quote]

Quite right to warn people Eagle. I had about 40 years experience on both sides of the book to realise that it takes a certain mentality to come out in front and very few people have what it takes.

My mate treats this as his job and not as a bit of fun or a way to win a fortune. Most of us don''t have the discipline to make this work, thats why you never see a bookie on a bike.
[/quote]

Spot on Ricky. Back in the early 90''s I suplemented my income betting on the horses. It paid for a couple of family holidays that I never would have had otherwise and a couple of computers back in the days before every home had one. It also made me learn to use them properly and learn how to compile spreadsheeets and databases that have served me well since. I compiled speed ratings for all the horses that raced in the UK. I spent at least 25 hours every week compiling ratings and then rating races. I started with a bank of £200 the day Minnehoma won the Grand National and finished when that bank finally ran dry. I lived on coffee and nicotine as I burnt the midnight oil. I enjoyed it and learned much from it. But you never get something for nothing and what I made probably worked out at the poorest hourly rate anyone would ever work for.

Now I just bet a fiver with Billy every Saturday and that''s it for me. I rarely look at the horses because without spending hours following them betting on a horse would be a complete lottery once more. But I do know betting isn''t a mugs game however it''s because mugs bet that others can make a profit. You just have to be prepared to work harder than those you are up against. And you have to have an edge. Now each week I do a line of home wins from all over Europe. I stick to my rules and only do those that fit the criteria I set. I don''t change that and put in an away even if I''m convinced it will come up. I don''t do ten every week. I do how ever many I find. Sometimes it''s as few as five. My edge is Billy''s prices. Billy gives the best price for each game on an accy. I doubt you''ll find another bookie who will do that.

OK, here''s my little bet for this weekend. I really like them all but that''ll probably be famous last words. Anyway, I''m not posting this to profess to be a good football tipster, I''m posting it to show you the tremendous edge that you can all get by betting with Billy Dixon. All you need to do is make a phonecall to set up a telephone account and you can get these odds on your football bets too. It''s too big an edge to dismiss lightly.

Match

Bet365 Odds

Dixmar Odds

Norwich v Hartlepool

3/10

1/3

Southampton v Stockport

2/7

3/10

Bayern Munich V Mainz

1/5

1/5

Rangers v Falkirk

1/6

1/5

Schalke v Hoffenheim

4/6

7/10

Bordeaux v Boulogne

1/6

2/11

Monaco v Nice

4/7

4/6

AC Milan v Livorno

2/7

2/7

Roma v Siena

2/7

3/10

Bayer Leverkusen v SC Freiburg

1/4

2/7

My Bet £5

£68.87

£92.11

And here''s the free bet from the Rays Funds For Foncy thread:-

Match

Bet365 Odds

Billy Odds

Norwich v Hartlepool

3/10

1/3

Burnley v Chelsea

2/7

3/10

Derby v Nottm Forest

1/1

11/10

Sporting Gijon v Barcelona

1/5

1/4

Rhyl v Pontardawe Town

1/8

1/6

Bayer Leverkusen v SC Freiburg

1/4

2/7

Free Bet £10

£46.41

£58.25

May as well post my acca for today,

Saints 3/10

Bordeaux 1/5

Chelsea 2/7

Barca 2/7

Celtic 4/11

£15 on pays 50.14

Not a retirement fund, but i find staying with shorter odds pays better in the long term, had a treble on Norwich, Fulham and Seville in last week, 15 returned 46 i think. Haven''t put Norwich in today, i''ve got a horrible feeling we may slip up today. Fingers crossed we dont, but after 7 straight wins and 10 at home, we are well over due a draw/loss.

Anyways, i shall be there cheering the boys on and home just in time to watch Barca whip Gijon and win me a bit of wedge.

Good luck if your having a bet and COME ON CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="eagle"][quote user="fat lip"]

Some great posts here .... thanks

Any recommendations for the longer odds yankee type bet where if two or three out of four come in you are quids in?

[/quote]

This system is best used if you have 3 selections that are all decent prices and you want to cover yourself. My advice would be to use this if you fancy draws or away teams.

For example, on Tuesday I done Southampton (away at Brentford - 13/10), Preston (away at P''boro - 17/10) and Middlesboro (away at Doncaster - 2/1).

I put £2 on the treble and £2 per line on the 3 possible doubles, so laid out £8. If all had won I would have won £79, but Southampton didnt, so I won a £2 double on the other two, which paid about £16, covering my bet.

Its more used in horses as the prices are longer. If you back teams at odds on (e.g 8./11 etc) you won''t get as much back from your doubles if two short prices come in, but on the other had you don''t lose as much.

All depends on how confident you are in your selections.

[/quote]

Have gave this a go for today Eagle.  Millwall, Villa and Forest all away. Will see how it comes in!  quid on the treble, and a quid on each othe the doubles

If I''m back in Norfolk then I''m gonna have to ring billy up, those are pretty impressive. I''ve got an 11 accy on at bet365 for about the same price as yours nutty, bit galling when you see ol'' billy''s price there. Still after my first win this year, had 1 earlier on in the season but in 2010 i''ve been one short the last 3 times... (and when I backed myself boxing day...)

[quote user="Allez17"]Norwich vs HartlepoolFor me, I''m looking at two bets. First of all, goalscorers. For some reason, Grant Holt is still listed on Bet365, so try to avoid that one. You can get a very attractive 11/10 on Chris Martin to score at anytime, and in the form he is in, I fancy him to carry on his goalscoring run. At just over evens, you''re doubling your money, and I''m going to put 2 units on this - £10, Chris Martin to score, anytime @ 11/10. Secondly, I''m looking at Half-Time/Full-Time winners. Norwich are notorious for coming out strong in the second half, which can leave it to be a risky game putting your money on them to be leading at Half Time. Saturday, however, I''m prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. The weak nature of this Hartlepool team, unlike Brentford last week, leaves it much more likely that an early breakthrough will be made. So for my second bet, I''m going for 4 units - £20 on Norwich winning HT/FT at 4/5. Bank: £200Current Exposure: £30[/quote]One from two, and a profit. Not a big profit, but still. Chris Martin, after putting in so much over the last few weeks, had an off day, but we got the goals we needed nontheless. I''ll let him off for this one. However, the HT/FT bet was a winner, winning me £18. This wipes out the £10 goalscorer loss, and gives me a small profit. Therefore, the bank for the next match stands at £208. How did everyone else do?

Bordeaux did me out of a hundred quid a couple of weeks ago - top of the league, unbeaten all season and I had that much on them to win. They were 1-0 when someone got sent off and they went on to draw. Tossers.

I rarely bet on the French League for reasons evident today. I came unstuck with Grenoble a few weeks back, think they were playing Bordeaux, and it was nailed on, but ended a draw (i think). Also Celtic, who in years past have proved a banker most weeks, cannot be trusted at present. Oh for the days when you could just put all your money on Gretna, and they woudl come in every time [:D]

Gents...Millwall vs NorwichThis is the first match I have been able to get to in some time, owing to my job here in London, so I plan to enjoy tomorrow regardless of any potential cash I can make. I do love a good away game...Down to the action. Norwich''s hardest game since Southampton and, without Grant Holt, arguably one we are not expected to win. The bookies disagree, and have priced us as favourites across the board, but not as strong as in recent games. We sit at 11/8 on Bet365 right now, which for a straight win, is probably good odds. We are still the form team and we will be expecting 3 points (but still likely to be pleased with 1). These games are pitfalls for professional punters and, in normal circumstances, I would avoid. Therefore, I''m approaching this game with a bit of anxiety, simply because as a gambler you shoud never, ever let emotion get into it. Do I think Norwich will win? Yes. But that is entirely down to my feelings, and not the stats. We''ve won once in London in about 21 attempts. Millwall are a good side and have an impressive home record. To me, betting wise, everything screams draw - but I struggle to ever back against us, simply because I don''t want to enjoy a bad result. It just feels...wrong.So I''m going against convention here. I''m going against my instinct, as I said I''d place a bet on all of our games, and this will be no different. For anyone interested, you can get the following impressive odds on Bet365:Norwich to win from behind - 10/1Norwich to win to nil - 11/4Norwich to keep a clean sheet - 7/4Our defence has been an absolute rock this last few months and I fancy this to continue, roared on by the estimated 3 and a half thousand fans there. 2 points on a win for norwich, without conceeding = £10 @ 11/4. Secondly, I''m going to put a straight 4 points on a norwich win - £20 @ 11/8. So if Norwich win tomorrow, I''m in. If they don''t... well I''ve just been too optimistic and we''ve been brought back down to earth. But as I said, this is the sort of game I woud avoid anyway.Current Bank: £208Current Exposure: £30DutchingThis is a bit different, and the more experienced punters on here will know what I''m talking about (as will anyone I''ve been talking to repeatedly this last week... this is old news). But basically, Dutching is backing more than 1 runner in a field so increase your odds of winning. Now, in League One, we know the title is coming either to Carrow Road or Elland Road. Barring a spectacular double collapse, that''s the ballgame. Yet, you can still bet on both teams and come away with a profit on this. Not a big one, mind..Leeds @ 1.83 - £57.74Norwich @ 2.5 - £42.26Your stake = £100. Returns if either team wins League One - £105.66.Now, if this had been done a month ago the returns would have been much higher. But the fact is its a 5% return on an almost guaranteed outcome. Better than you''ll get in 3 months with a bank, and an example of the ways pro punters use every weapon in their arsenal to bring home some profits. Anyway, just thought you''d be interested.Here''s hoping for a good day tomorrow. I''ll try not to get my head kicked in.

I got wind of a big punt on Staines Town last night, so got on that with a ton, paid £65.

Also made a decent amount referring friends to Betfair at the end of February, making me £50 a time.

I don''t tend to like betting on International Friendlies, but tonight I think Spain look a good price at 11/8 (away against France), so might just do them.

[quote user="eagle"]

I got wind of a big punt on Staines Town last night, so got on that with a ton, paid £65.

Also made a decent amount referring friends to Betfair at the end of February, making me £50 a time.

I don''t tend to like betting on International Friendlies, but tonight I think Spain look a good price at 11/8 (away against France), so might just do them.

[/quote]

I hope you all followed me and made some money on Spain!