Sign in to follow this  
Inch High aka Inchy..

(seriously OT)wish me luck.

After 30 years of smoking, when I go to bed in a few mins I am going to stick a nicotine patch on and attempt to give up my ciggies.

I have seen one of those new fangled advisors at my local GP''s and tonight is when I stop, I''ve rolled the worlds biggest smoke that I''m going to have in a mo and then it''s on with the patch and in the morning I''m on one of those inhalator things(plus patch) to help me over the first couple of weeks. 

Wish me luck,here goes.[;)]

I''ll keep you fellow smokers updated on how it goes.[+o(]

Good luck to you Inchy. I tried loads of times before sticking on the patches in 2006. I''ve lasted ''til now this time and hope to kep it up.

Let "The Power Of The Pups" be with you[Y]

Good luck- try the electronic cigarette company (.co.uk) if you find you need an extra hand.I have cut down to 8-10 a day from a LOT more (for 17 years) with one of those.

Inchie,I gave up on 1st June, having smoked for too many years to remember. I tried many times to give up.I attended the NHS Quit Smoking thing and was given Champix. Worked like a dream and have to say this time I am definitely off the weed for good. If you struggle with the patches, you ought to give the NHS course a go. Totally free and all you have to do is agree to attend a meeting every two weeks for 20 minutes or so. The Champix is so good that you get no cravings at all, no maddening rage when you are getting withdrawals etc.Good luck mate

A very good friend of mine was able to quit smoking fairly easily, using the following method:Bought a pouch of tobacco, papers, filters and some matches.Went outside onto the main street, walked down it till he saw a homeless guy, who asked him for a fag.Gave the homeless guy the tobacco, papers, filters and matches, walked off and never smoked again.I myself contemplated this method and did the same thing. Was in the process of handing over my cigarettes, then got freaked out and ran away with the man on the side of the road holding out his hand.I felt like a dick for at least a week.

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]

After 30 years of smoking, when I go to bed in a few mins I am going to stick a nicotine patch on and attempt to give up my ciggies.

I have seen one of those new fangled advisors at my local GP''s and tonight is when I stop, I''ve rolled the worlds biggest smoke that I''m going to have in a mo and then it''s on with the patch and in the morning I''m on one of those inhalator things(plus patch) to help me over the first couple of weeks. 

[/quote]

Hiya Inch High!

Good on ya! Funnily enough I''m actually a stop smoking advisor, so if you need any tips gimmie a shout!! :-D

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]

[/quote]

Good luck, If you want to stop then you really have to want to stop to allow those patch''s work, I used them way back in 94, I was a long distance lorry driver getting through 80 a day I only used the patch for 2 weeks, it is hard the first few days but will power is the key, I found that if I went for a walk everytime I fancied a fag it put my mind off it and also drink a dop of water before you go out, if you have a dog great that will help with the walking

I wish you luck mate its hard at first but very  rewarding  when you have cracked it, I have to say thought that I have been a constant visitor to Papworth hospital and have had 4 hear ops so no I won''t lite up again  

the best way to stop smoking is to not give in to peer pressure when your young and never start in the first place.... I''ve never even tried a cigarette in my life!

good luck though, it''s not an easy task. my GF has tried giving up so i jknow how difficult it can be...

im sure you can do it though!

[quote user="Gravitys Rainbow"]A very good friend of mine was able to quit smoking fairly easily, using the following method:Bought a pouch of tobacco, papers, filters and some matches.Went outside onto the main street, walked down it till he saw a homeless guy, who asked him for a fag.Gave the homeless guy the tobacco, papers, filters and matches, walked off and never smoked again.I myself contemplated this method and did the same thing. Was in the process of handing over my cigarettes, then got freaked out and ran away with the man on the side of the road holding out his hand.I felt like a dick for at least a week. [/quote]Good luck to the OP in trying to kick the habitDid a similar thing to Gravity''s Rainbow when I gave up in the mid-Seventies.I use to buy Benson & Hedges in packs of 200 ( they cost £4.70 for 200 so it shows how long ago it was ! ) I''d smoked about ten of a new 200 then gave up unexpectedly and ended up dishing out nine full packets to people sleeping under Charing Cross railway bridge just to get rid of them. Talk about getting mobbed....I think I''ve still got the half smoked packet, which I kept as a souvenir, but, after 34 years stuck in a cupboard somewhere I expect they''re a little past their '' best before '' date by now.

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]

[/quote]

Good luck Inch High, I jacked it in 5 years ago after 60 a day for years, the first 3 months were hard but after that your body forgets it ever smoked!

Stick with it.[Y]

Good luck Inchy. I gave up the day the smoking ban came in. Everyone is different, but what worked for me was some education - from one of the few independent groups not affiliated to the pharmacy companies who profit from selling patches - about the way nicotine addiction works. (and some willpower!).BTW, be careful anyone who tries Champix or similar. It''s great for some people but it made a colleague of mine severely depressed, almost suicidal.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Good luck- try the electronic cigarette company (.co.uk) if you find you need an extra hand.
I have cut down to 8-10 a day from a LOT more (for 17 years) with one of those.
[/quote]

These things did work for a while,but unfortunately for me,my lack of will power got the better of me.Good luck Inch High.

P.s don''t mean to worry you,but watch out for the booze.A few pints can lead to easy temptation!

Good luck Inchy mate, I will try again. One tip I used for my successful period of not smoking was having a glass of water when I had the urge to have one.

My ex tried to give up in 1993 just after the patches came onto the market.  Very expensive they were too, but we went on holiday to Malta where they turned out to be about half the price of here.  He cleaned out nearly every chemists on the island, came back with 400 patches instead of 400 cigs for a change!  He did cut right down (from 50-60 to 10-15) but didn''t manage to stop altogether.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Good luck Inchy. I gave up the day the smoking ban came in. Everyone is different, but what worked for me was some education - from one of the few independent groups not affiliated to the pharmacy companies who profit from selling patches - about the way nicotine addiction works. (and some willpower!).BTW, be careful anyone who tries Champix or similar. It''s great for some people but it made a colleague of mine severely depressed, almost suicidal.[/quote]Nuff,Yes, I should have posted the obvious health warning when I mentioned Champix as I have heard a similar thing. To be fair though, the number of people it has helped is far in excess of those that it hindered. I don''t know of another product that has that instant effect as the patches take a while to kick in (and are bloody expensive to boot!)