Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Chris Martin's value?

Are you really suggesting that Alan Greene, one of the worst commentators around and no more than a tabloid sensationalist, is a good person to ask about the standard of premiership footballers?

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

I firmly predict you will see Chris Martin in the Premiership by the time he''s 24 or 25. There is way too much hype talked about thePremiership, many games are dross,

[/quote]

I like Chris Martin as a player but, at the risk of having a slight on him, you''re either over-estimating him or under-estimating the Premier League, or both. Probably both actually.

In the Premier League you''re looking at arguably the 2 best strikers/forwards in the world at the moment; Drogba and Torres. Then there''s Anelka, Rooney, Berbatov, Adebayor,  Tevez, Bellamy, Defoe, Keano, Crouch, Eduardo, RVP, Bendtner out of the bigger clubs. But then there''s the likes of Bent, Jones, Abgonlahor, Carew, Cole, Saha, Yakubu and even Bobby Zamora.

Now some of those are better than others but they''re all dangerous. They''re all either very quick, very strong and powerful, very intelligent and very skillful or, a combination of all.

Chris Martin isn''t in that bracket or close to it.

Basically the Premier League is pretty much the best and strongest league in the world and Chris Martin is, currently, only doing alright in Division 3.

[/quote]

You make some good points GJP but if you re-read what I said, it''s that Chris Martin has the potential to play in The Premiership with.....''continued experience and development''. IF he progresses on those aspects I am sure he will play in the top league.

You list several strikers but I don''t see what point you''re making, no where have (or would I) suggest that Chris Martin is now and probably never will be, in that category. Ther are many, many other strikers though toiling away in The Premier who I think the lad COULD be as good as. It will be interesting to see how he develops be it here or at another club. If he opts for another vastly inflated contract and a return to the pub / night club culture elsewhere then sure he can kiss goodbye to the level I think he can get to. BUT if he knuckles down like he seems to be doing now then he can play higher up the ladder.

If the boy is only .....''doing alright'' at this level, I''d love us to have someone playing for us who you thought was real quality!!     

[quote user="Allez17"]Are you really suggesting that Alan Greene, one of the worst commentators around and no more than a tabloid sensationalist, is a good person to ask about the standard of premiership footballers?
[/quote]

Er, Yes I am actually! Greene can be irritating but he had the balls to stand up to that gum chewing, obnoxious guy who manages Manure and for that I think we should all be grateful. Green knows more about The Premiership than you, I or any other poster on here.

Take your blinkers (or earmuffs should I say) off next time and LISTEN. The guy tells it how it is and recognises top standards and he also sure as hell recognises when games are a pile of s--t! If you can remember, he was in euphoric mood when he commentated on us v Inter Milan in the San Siro, praising us to the skies. But there again, he knows nothing about teams / players in The Premier does he!!

[quote user="paul moy"]Chris Martin is lucky that he is surrounded by talented teammates that are providing him with so many goalscoring chances.  He needs to work harder and be much braver, especially in the air, if he wants to be top-class and really should have taken more of the chances that he has had so far this season. Not worth more than a million at the moment as he has yet to prove himself at a higher level, which I think he will.  [/quote]

I cannot believe you armchair supporters who say Chris Martin is not  brave or a hard worker !!!!!!!!!!! He is often one of our hardest working,,, and unsung heroes. He has scored 16 this season !!!!!!!!!! But you criticise him ?????????? You ought to get yourself to a game mate ....then you might have a different opinion.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

I firmly predict you will see Chris Martin in the Premiership by the time he''s 24 or 25. There is way too much hype talked about thePremiership, many games are dross,

[/quote]

I like Chris Martin as a player but, at the risk of having a slight on him, you''re either over-estimating him or under-estimating the Premier League, or both. Probably both actually.

In the Premier League you''re looking at arguably the 2 best strikers/forwards in the world at the moment; Drogba and Torres. Then there''s Anelka, Rooney, Berbatov, Adebayor,  Tevez, Bellamy, Defoe, Keano, Crouch, Eduardo, RVP, Bendtner out of the bigger clubs. But then there''s the likes of Bent, Jones, Abgonlahor, Carew, Cole, Saha, Yakubu and even Bobby Zamora.

Now some of those are better than others but they''re all dangerous. They''re all either very quick, very strong and powerful, very intelligent and very skillful or, a combination of all.

Chris Martin isn''t in that bracket or close to it.

Basically the Premier League is pretty much the best and strongest league in the world and Chris Martin is, currently, only doing alright in Division 3.

[/quote]

You make some good points GJP but if you re-read what I said, it''s that Chris Martin has the potential to play in The Premiership with.....''continued experience and development''. IF he progresses on those aspects I am sure he will play in the top league.

You list several strikers but I don''t see what point you''re making, no where have (or would I) suggest that Chris Martin is now and probably never will be, in that category. Ther are many, many other strikers though toiling away in The Premier who I think the lad COULD be as good as. It will be interesting to see how he develops be it here or at another club. If he opts for another vastly inflated contract and a return to the pub / night club culture elsewhere then sure he can kiss goodbye to the level I think he can get to. BUT if he knuckles down like he seems to be doing now then he can play higher up the ladder.

If the boy is only .....''doing alright'' at this level, I''d love us to have someone playing for us who you thought was real quality!!     

[/quote]

I know what you said, I took it into account.

He''s in his early 20''s and he will continue to improve as a player but I''m not sure I see him going to that kind of level (unless it''s with Norwich, and with Paul Lambert incharge anything is possible).

A I always say, I like the guy, I liked him before he ever played for our first team.

I think we''ll get a better idea next season after we''ve been promoted. The Championship is a significantly stronger league than what we''re in now and we''ve got a bunch of players who are above this level, some by a lot and some by not so much.

Priceless :D

We can''t sell any of this team, when we go up, we need a couple more decent squad players, and we will be pretty good next year, challenging up the top of the league :D

Obviously his value today is linked to the fact that he is out of contract at the end of the season. So if we were to sell him in this transfer window I think we would be looking at around £500,000 tops.However, if we can persuade Chris to sign a new contract and he continues to score goals for us then his value can only rise. Other posters have already pointed out that he is one of the best finishers at the club right now (the way he took his two goals on Saturday would appear to prove this) and he is an integral part of our front three. But despite his clinical finishing he doesn''t look like an out and out striker to me. And that could well work to our advantage in the long run as forwards who can play wide and/or deep are much more valuable in the modern game.