Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Chris Martin's value?

How much would you value Martin at? Lets assume he signs a 3 year deal.......What made me think of this was watching the FL show last night. They said Jonjo Shelvey had scored...wait for it....his 4th goal of the season!Now i know Martin has 3 yrs on him but i know who i would rather have! Shelvey was being linked with £4m moves last summer! Im not saying Martin is worth £4m but in todays market goalscorers are over priced!

I was thinking about this also. Jonjo is a little different as he isn''t an out and out striker and I think he has been injured as well this season.The £4m quoted for Jonjo was when he was 17, under the new "homegrown" rules for European football if a club gets a player when he is 17, after 3 years they can be registered as a player trained at the club i.e. Fabregas. This means 17 year old players are worth a lot more than 18 year old players (for the top clubs anyway), this is also part of the reason Victor Moses hasn''t been whisked away yet, at 19 he is just to old (crazy hey?).Martin is a great finisher and is growing in confidence and ability this season, but I think he is a £1m striker at the very most. He isn''t lightning quick or particularly tall and strong meaning he doesn''t neatly fit into the "big man" or "little guy" role. What he does have is the natural ability to be in the right place at the right time, which is rare and the finish of his second goal yesterday just reeked class. For me he isn''t worth more as transfer fees in the lower leagues are dropping pretty quickly as money gets tighter for all clubs, a couple of years ago he would of gone for £2m.

At the moment, he is worth far more than what we could get for him. Saying that, I would value him for transfer purposes around the £1.2 mark.

His stock is certainly rising, although I''m not too bothered about his value, just like to see him sign up for a few more years.

That''ll put some zeros on any transfer if someone does come calling.

Personally I can''t believe some fans still criticise him, I think he''s one of our biggest assets.

Chris Martin is lucky that he is surrounded by talented teammates that are providing him with so many goalscoring chances.  He needs to work harder and be much braver, especially in the air, if he wants to be top-class and really should have taken more of the chances that he has had so far this season. Not worth more than a million at the moment as he has yet to prove himself at a higher level, which I think he will.  

[quote user="can u sit down please"]How much would you value Martin at? Lets assume he signs a 3 year deal.......What made me think of this was watching the FL show last night. They said Jonjo Shelvey had scored...wait for it....his 4th goal of the season!Now i know Martin has 3 yrs on him but i know who i would rather have! Shelvey was being linked with £4m moves last summer! Im not saying Martin is worth £4m but in todays market goalscorers are over priced![/quote]Who would pay £4m for him? Answer nobody. I convinced half the fans on he had either just forgotten what league we are in or are just losing the plot.Had an argument on here earlier in the week with a guy who thinks Holt is a better player than Flecky was or Bellamy is!Whilst I''m loving it, we''re 2nd in Div 1 the 3rd tier of English football. A league pack with poor football teams and from what I can see 3 or 4 who could hold there own in the Championship. But thats allChris Martin is having a good season but he''s not good enough for the premiership and I can''t see even the richest Championship clubs taking a punt on him at £4m or even £3m.

Martin is one of the most natural ''finishers'' I have seen at our club in years.He does lack pace, that much is true, but he has a very quick brain and very quick feet. If he continues to play alongside Holt, and learn some of his more *ahem* ''professional'' *ahem* attributes, then the fella can go a very, very long way.You can be a speed merchant, but if you can''t finish then it''s worthless… Martin has the habit of ''being in the right place at the right time''… you can''t teach that, it''s instinctive.And as for the ''lazy'' jibe that often gets hurled in his direction, I simply cannot understand where people get this impression from… his gait and manner appears to be that of a sloucher (a la Chris Waddle) but I have not seen a game this season where the lad has not worked hard and in most of them he has had a hand in goals, be that scoring or creating.The one good thing Roeder did was send him out on loan… it has knocked the teenage "whatever" attitude out of him. He still has attitude, but the sort that you need… he was straight in when it kicked off yesterday… and I hope he stays with us for a long time to come.A natural talent!

I didn''t say he wwas worth �4m just asking for valuations as shelvey a div 3 player was being valued at that.

I''d say with his age etc prob about �1m.

It irritates me when people say he needs to work harder etc...

We have a thing in this country where no matter what we feel the need to highlight weaknesses rather than improve/credit strengths!

Martin is an intergral part of our system. His link up play is excellent and most of all he is getting an education from Lambert and in particular Holt...............he is of similar build and style to Holt, he is...The Sorcerer''s Apprentice. His best long term move would be to continue his education under his current tutors.

He wasn''t worth much according to Roeder. Neither was Lappin in his eyes. Shows how good a judge of a player he was.

[quote user="paul moy"]Chris Martin is lucky that he is surrounded by talented teammates that are providing him with so many goalscoring chances.  He needs to work harder and be much braver, especially in the air, if he wants to be top-class and really should have taken more of the chances that he has had so far this season. Not worth more than a million at the moment as he has yet to prove himself at a higher level, which I think he will.  [/quote]

We have a striker who got tons of setups and almost never finished them. That would be Cureton. Martin should not be discounted because he is getting the passes.  Cureton got the same passes and we sucked.  So maybe it''s not just the fact that he is surrounded by great teammates.  It''s that he''s scoring which leaves us not sucking.

Does Martin''s goal tally include the 4 at ...??? that FA Cup 1st Round match place?  Those goals shouldn''t count if they do. But yesterday''s sure as heck should.

[quote user="KingsLynnCanary"]according to that site, Gary Doherty & Jamie Cureton are worth over £1 mil and Grant Holt is worth less than half of that..! (even Theo is 600k..!)[/quote]Yeah its majorly out of date, even the pic of Martin is from when he was about 19

If we were to sell now, the most I could see a team paying would be about £600k plus add ons.

If the question were how much would we have to be offered to sell, I''d say around £1.2m. Although, realistically, could you see us turning down a £1m bid?

he is worth however much somone is willing to pay for him. I reckon 500-750k some people on have laughable valuations and oppinions, i saw somone argueing that holt is better than bellars the other day.

At the moment with his contact up at end of season I really don''t think he is worth more than 500k at absoulte max, we need to get him tied to a longer contract soon

But if he does sign one maybe around £1m or just over, especially if he keeps up his goal scoring form

there are certainly a lot of people on here living in fantasy football world. There is no way, even if he were on a 3 year contract right now that you''d get anymore than 750k for him. No way. Not many players leave league 1 clubs for more than a million!

[quote user="the1englishman"]As a rough estimate, i would say he is in the 2 mil range at the moment, based on age and potential.

If we needed to sell, nothing less than 1.5 mil in my opinion.[/quote]I would say only Holt & Hoolahan are worth £1mil+ if we were to sell them at the moment. Martin''s probably 500k+

is not more important to get him tied to club?

until we sign him up he can leave for free or next to nothing!!

and it is understood that other clubs are interested!!

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Martin is one of the most natural ''finishers'' I have seen at our club in years.

He does lack pace, that much is true, but he has a very quick brain and very quick feet. If he continues to play alongside Holt, and learn some of his more *ahem* ''professional'' *ahem* attributes, then the fella can go a very, very long way.

You can be a speed merchant, but if you can''t finish then it''s worthless… Martin has the habit of ''being in the right place at the right time''… you can''t teach that, it''s instinctive.

And as for the ''lazy'' jibe that often gets hurled in his direction, I simply cannot understand where people get this impression from… his gait and manner appears to be that of a sloucher (a la Chris Waddle) but I have not seen a game this season where the lad has not worked hard and in most of them he has had a hand in goals, be that scoring or creating.

The one good thing Roeder did was send him out on loan… it has knocked the teenage "whatever" attitude out of him. He still has attitude, but the sort that you need… he was straight in when it kicked off yesterday… and I hope he stays with us for a long time to come.

A natural talent!
[/quote]

One of the most sensible posts on this board for a long time Andy - pity there are still fans who are having a go at the boy for.......''no effort, lazy'' etc. It was clear from day one when Grant put him in that the lad had talent, unfortunately the fat contract that either he / his parents / his agent took weeks stalling on seemed to go to his head as did other off field activities. He appears (and I would put it at no better than that) to have begun to mature and under Lambert he is absolutely thriving.

As you say he has wonderful feet and is easily the best finisher at the club - don''t take my word for it but I''m sure you will take the word of his manager! Other fans talk down the league we are in and imply he couldn''t cut it at Championship let alone Premiership. Rubbish - if you can caress and strike a ball and finish like him then, with continued expereince and development, I firmly predict you will see Chris Martin in the Premiership by the time he''s 24 or 25. There is way too much hype talked about thePremiership, many games are dross, again ask someone like Alan Green who watches it every week!!    

OK Chris Martin may not run around like a headless chicken at 100 mph or be built like a brick you know what but he''s got a shrewd footballing brain and some real quality. At the end of the day it''s those qualities that will win out every time.

yes we prob would get a fee but that is usually a lot less then what we value him at!!

and if they want to run the risk of him signing an agreement with another club.

its a big risk in my eyes as he will prob want to sort out his future so he can concentrate on his football knowing where his future lies.

he is by no means guaranteed to sign for norwich

what would you do if a club from the championship came in and offered you a three year deal with at least 3 times what you are currently earning?

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

I firmly predict you will see Chris Martin in the Premiership by the time he''s 24 or 25. There is way too much hype talked about thePremiership, many games are dross,

[/quote]

I like Chris Martin as a player but, at the risk of having a slight on him, you''re either over-estimating him or under-estimating the Premier League, or both. Probably both actually.

In the Premier League you''re looking at arguably the 2 best strikers/forwards in the world at the moment; Drogba and Torres. Then there''s Anelka, Rooney, Berbatov, Adebayor,  Tevez, Bellamy, Defoe, Keano, Crouch, Eduardo, RVP, Bendtner out of the bigger clubs. But then there''s the likes of Bent, Jones, Abgonlahor, Carew, Cole, Saha, Yakubu and even Bobby Zamora.

Now some of those are better than others but they''re all dangerous. They''re all either very quick, very strong and powerful, very intelligent and very skillful or, a combination of all.

Chris Martin isn''t in that bracket or close to it.

Basically the Premier League is pretty much the best and strongest league in the world and Chris Martin is, currently, only doing alright in Division 3.