Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

The Doc is setting goal targets...

Don''t go reading the whole article a1, especially Lambert''s comments at the end. [:O]

In Lambert we trust[:D]

[8]He''s not gingerist anymore....

[:D][;)]

Nothing meant by it N - you know i''m no gingerist!

It just made me laugh. Come on, not even you could have thought you''d see the day when the Doc was setting double figure goal targets!

I have to admit his finishing has been amazing - i think his goal against Southampton is definitely a goal of the season contender. You just wonder why it''s taken so long for him to start making serious goal scoring contributions given his previous incarnation as striker.

[quote user="a1canary"]Nothing meant by it N - you know i''m no gingerist! It just made me laugh. Come on, not even you could have thought you''d see the day when the Doc was setting double figure goal targets! I have to admit his finishing has been amazing - i think his goal against Southampton is definitely a goal of the season contender. You just wonder why it''s taken so long for him to start making serious goal scoring contributions given his previous incarnation as striker.[/quote]

Its amazing the difference a quality manager installing confidence can make!

[quote user="a1canary"]Nothing meant by it N - you know i''m no gingerist! It just made me laugh. Come on, not even you could have thought you''d see the day when the Doc was setting double figure goal targets! I have to admit his finishing has been amazing - i think his goal against Southampton is definitely a goal of the season contender. You just wonder why it''s taken so long for him to start making serious goal scoring contributions given his previous incarnation as striker.[/quote]

If you read Lamberts comments it seems to me he''s saying "what do I know" it''s very tongue in cheek. He got the best out of those two players and he knows it. He had to find out what they were made of and they have shown him. When I read about players that Lambert supposedly cast out at Colchester I wonder if he found out about them too. Maybe they weren''t made of the right stuff to prove him wrong. But whatever, we both know that Ginger Pele has the right attitude, you don''t get to play over 200 times for a club like Norwich if you don''t. Lambert knows it too now, just as the previous four managers have known it. It''s only just a very fans who can''t accept the Doc for what he is.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

If you read Lamberts comments it seems to me he''s saying "what do I know" it''s very tongue in cheek. He got the best out of those two players and he knows it. He had to find out what they were made of and they have shown him. When I read about players that Lambert supposedly cast out at Colchester I wonder if he found out about them too. Maybe they weren''t made of the right stuff to prove him wrong. But whatever, we both know that Ginger Pele has the right attitude, you don''t get to play over 200 times for a club like Norwich if you don''t. Lambert knows it too now, just as the previous four managers have known it. It''s only just a very fans who can''t accept the Doc for what he is.

[/quote]

I bet Wiz still won''t agree!!! I think Ginger Pele has proved a lot of people wrong this season!

Nice that he''s getting some praise. And nice that he''s playing in a good team for a good manager, that hasn''t been the case for most of his time here.

Oh and no a1, I never ever thought I''d see the day he would get 10 goals.[:D] He has been a threat at set pieces for years. At times we have been so poor he was the only threat. But it never happened. Headers and shots were blocked and I honestly thought he was jinxed. This is a different level though, but that isn''t the whole explaination. Folk who believe it is may as well give up on next season before it starts if, and I''m sure we will be, we are promoted. Anyway, we should enjoy what we have now. [Y]

Confidence takes you a long, long way in any arena. I can only assume that if some of the Doc knockers entered in to that type of conversation in a pre-match pub, they might find the large majority are of a very different opinion to them.Yes, we are a league lower… but I ask you, do you think this team, not just some of them, but this entire team, would have finished in a relegation place if they had played last season?Lambert has given them self belief and most importantly has organised them and given them a system to play to. We WILL reap the benefits of this.

He is benifiting from the confidence of scoring! If things had been going badly he might have been reluctant to take the chances he has and instead just pass the ball, but because its happening for him the moment he is having ago and scoring! Long may it continue as it could make us very dangrous at set peices with both him, Holt and Askou (when fit) very good in the air.

[quote user="birchfest"]He is benifiting from the confidence of scoring! If things had been going badly he might have been reluctant to take the chances he has and instead just pass the ball, but because its happening for him the moment he is having ago and scoring! Long may it continue as it could make us very dangrous at set peices with both him, Holt and Askou (when fit) very good in the air.[/quote]But the amazing thing is, he''s actually scoring with his feet too! Anyone know how his goal tally breaks down between headers ansd shots?

[quote user="Bruces Header"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I bet Wiz still won''t agree!!! I think Ginger Pele has proved a lot of people wrong this season!

[/quote]

He''s doing superbly well BH.............its just that I prefer the Admiral more..........sorry.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]10 goals in a season for a CB = promotion [;)][/quote]How many did Malky get in our promotion season out of interest?

Just the 4 it seems AJ.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=9397

I guess the two against the scum counted double most people minds!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

What I''ve been saying to all the Doc haters for a number of years now and got slaughtered for it but anyone who knows football will agree the Docs a good player!

This season the Doc has got even better, eliminating the old habit of hanging onto the opposition and has finally become a goal threat!

I''m sure the drop in standard has something to do with it plus hes at the age now when he should be in his prime.

If I have my way the Doc will be resigned on a 2 year contract and I trust Lambert sees it like I does!

Anyone who slags the Doc now are complete planks and you only have to look at the pathetic defending we saw from ColWHO on Saturday to see what bad defending is like!

[quote user="a1canary"]Steady Beausant, you know that is a red rag to a nut! A nutty nut![/quote]

nutty nut''s stats for Beaus and my gingerist friend[;)]

Malky scored 4 goals in 2003/4 which was the same as Peter Crouch and Ian Henderson .....

The Ginger Pele scored three last season which was one more than Wes Hoolahan and Jamie Cureton. Those three goals were enough to offset all the penalties he has given away in over 200 games for the club. [:P]

Maybe nutty nut was a ginger nut before he went grey.......

[;)]

I''ve only really watched the Leeds game in full (live in York) and the only time I was worried with Doc was against Beckford because he seemed out of position a few times and his distinct lack of pace was highlighted. I still worry if we get in the Champ but he might get even better by then and we''ve also brought in ZW, have Spill coming back and other options too. However, I think more about him scoring goals rather than conceding them at the moment, which is a pleasant change! I really think PL has a lot to do with this and Doc''s own mental toughness of course. Good on him, and long may it continue. Any canary will want him to do well..

P.S I must say he has some power in his shots. Those left foot piledrivers are something to behold. I wish I was that powerful and I''m already left-footed!

I must also say that Askou looked very assured and calm in the Leeds game and read the play well. He also looks great in both boxes with his aerial play. I wonder how he''ll fit in when he comes back. Will Nelson go out, given our recent good form, or will Doc and Nelson continue with Askou, Spillane and Whitbread on the bench? I suppose it doesn''t matter at the moment while Askou is injured, but it''s a thought nonetheless.