Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Bit of advice for Millwall please....

Hi , not really a fan of travelling to the capital city, have been to Millwall twice before by car, now what im thinking of doing this time is staying overnight on the friday, can any one recommend a hotel not too far from the ground, or is there a good place to stop outside London and get the tube in? always driven before and not really used public transport before i get the Mr thickie jibes, am travelling from North Wales coming down the M1 or M40, any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks...

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Sorry to bump this, no-one got any tips???[/quote]Maybe people are in bed?Maybe a long shot but have you tried any Millwall sites? I know some fan sites have info for a away fans. May be a slim chance with Millwall though lol.

If you''re travelling down from North Wales why not make a weekend of it and stay somewhere central London?  The station closest to Millwall is South Bermondsey (zone 2), only 5 minutes on the train from London Bridge.   

[quote user="Matt Juler"]If you''re travelling down from North Wales why not make a weekend of it and stay somewhere central London?  The station closest to Millwall is South Bermondsey (zone 2), only 5 minutes on the train from London Bridge.   [/quote]

Oh and er, don''t drink the water.

As Mat has said easiest way to get to Millwall is train from London Bridge. Means you can stay anywhere in central London really but if driving in may not want to go anywhere too central (as hotels likely to be more expensive). London Bridge is on Jubilee Line or Northern Line but pretty easy to get to from anywhere.

If you''re travelling in from that direction I suggest you come in on the M40 which becomes the A40(M) it''s at least dual carriageway with speed cameras all the way in  to the Westway.Not sure you''ll want to drive all the way across London and back so I suggest you stay at either the Travelodge or Holiday Inn at Park Royal-Acton. Very easy to get to it''s on the main road, shortly after Hangar Lane. The travelodge is about 20 mins walk from the tube and the holiday inn is pretty well next door to the tube. Both hotels have car parking for I think £5 a night but if you are on a very tight budget or just don''t want to walk from the travelodge there''s free on road parking on the industrial estates behind the tube station (school rd). Best breakfast in London is the ''Fatboy'' from the cafe next to the tube station. Get yourselves Oyster cards and have a weekend on the tube, being on the central line North Acton tube  it''s pretty easy to get anywhere and no risk of a ticket for parking or congestion.

[quote user="Buckethead"]
Not sure you''ll want to drive all the way across London and back so I suggest you stay at either the Travelodge or Holiday Inn at Park Royal-Acton. [/quote]
Guessing you don''t want them to ever return to the London area?  Couldn''t think of anything worse than the A40 Travelodge at Park Royal, nice views of the Central Line, A40 and an industrial estate.  Lovely!

[quote user="Buckethead"]If you''re travelling in from that direction I suggest you come in on the M40 which becomes the A40(M) it''s at least dual carriageway with speed cameras all the way in  to the Westway.Not sure you''ll want to drive all the way across London and back so I suggest you stay at either the Travelodge or Holiday Inn at Park Royal-Acton. Very easy to get to it''s on the main road, shortly after Hangar Lane.[/quote]Ah! Fond memories.[:$] The Hanger Lane gyratory system.[au] So scary it has its own Wiki entry.[*-)] Be careful out there, as they said on Hill Street Blues.[H]

There is a Holiday Inn at Southwark which is very convenient, it is just off the South Bank so you are close to Tube links to Central London and only 1 stop from London Bridge (station is a couple of mins walk from hotel). I have always found it to be very good and you can usually get a good deal.

You are also very close to the drinking dens of Covent Garden, may I recommend The Porterhouse!! [;)]

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="Buckethead"]
Not sure you''ll want to drive all the way across London and back so I suggest you stay at either the Travelodge or Holiday Inn at Park Royal-Acton. [/quote]
Guessing you don''t want them to ever return to the London area?  Couldn''t think of anything worse than the A40 Travelodge at Park Royal, nice views of the Central Line, A40 and an industrial estate.  Lovely![/quote]

Agree its not the best area to stay around there although as said above it is very handy if coming in on the A40 so i guess its a balance between convenience and staying in a nice part of town!

[quote user="Berkshire Canary"]

There is a Holiday Inn at Southwark which is very convenient, it is just off the South Bank so you are close to Tube links to Central London and only 1 stop from London Bridge (station is a couple of mins walk from hotel). I have always found it to be very good and you can usually get a good deal.

You are also very close to the drinking dens of Covent Garden, may I recommend The Porterhouse!! [;)]

[/quote]

I can also recommend this. However, might be a problem if you''re driving as it''s a bit central.

What I''d be tempted to do is stay somewhere out by the M25 which has direct trains into London Bridge. Redhill is an option, it''d take about 35 minutes to London Bridge on the train from there and a return ticket would be about £10. Saves the hassle of driving into London and messing about with the underground system.

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="Buckethead"]Not sure you''ll want to drive all the way across London and back so I suggest you stay at either the Travelodge or Holiday Inn at Park Royal-Acton. [/quote]Guessing you don''t want them to ever return to the London area?  Couldn''t think of anything worse than the A40 Travelodge at Park Royal, nice views of the Central Line, A40 and an industrial estate.  Lovely![/quote]I appreciate it is not the most picturesque of settings but the OP asked about places outside London where he could stay and tube in and travelodge/hI express are the best there is coming from that direction, within two hours of passing Birmingham he could be checked in to his room and an hour later out on the lash or sightseeing pretty well anywhere in London.

If you''re looking for cheap hotels then this might do the job:

http://www.hotelformule1.com/gb/reservation/liste_hotels.shtml

They are most certainly not five-star or picturesque and they are the far side of London from you but the tube in to Millwall and Covent Garden etc is an easy ride.

Also, Millwall fans are fine as long as you don''t go out of your way to pi55 them off. Or support West Ham/Leeds/Chelsea etc.....

[quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="Berkshire Canary"]

[/quote]

I can also recommend this. However, might be a problem if you''re driving as it''s a bit central.

What I''d be tempted to do is stay somewhere out by the M25 which has direct trains into London Bridge. Redhill is an option, it''d take about 35 minutes to London Bridge on the train from there and a return ticket would be about £10. Saves the hassle of driving into London and messing about with the underground system.

this is the nicest option and easiest for driving... (less stressful!) About a mile down the road you have Reigate (on the same line as redhill, the stop before) - Reigate is one of the nicest places in Surrey.

Epsom is also very easy to get to from London Bridge, and is easy to get onto the M25 from there.

I really don''t like central that much (bar shopping etc...) I have lived in Surrey for a while and there are certainly nice places to stay... You could even go for a leisurely walk on Boxhill...

[/quote]

If you''re driving into the city then like what Berkshire said there is a premier inn on Southwark High Street. There''s also a travelodge that''s pretty good near Southwark tube station (on jubilee line). There''s also quite a few places near London Bridge, but they are more expensive.

Thanks guys, your advice has been really helpful, just tried hotels.com and the Ramada hotel has come up very well priced and seems to be in that area somewhere, once again yr help is very much appreciated