Sign in to follow this  
John

John Hartson

My respect for John Hartson, after all his recent struggles, is massive. In his best days as a football player he was of course a force to be reckoned, and as a person i have no doubt he''s just as great, and more than worthy of ones admiration.However this latest article on the pink ''un that i''ve just come across is truly a delight to read. My first time ever reading a press report of which i can''t deny shedding a tear from my eye for the man, and it really makes you wonder what ''could of been'' had he of found himself at City during an earlier part of his career, and in truth... It''s a little sad that he didn''t.He may of only been here for a very short time (and at that not an entirely successful one), but as a City fan, and as a football fan, i''ll certainly never forget this man.Good luck for your future John Hartson, and i''m sure we''d all welcome you into our city with open arms, in whatever capacity you should happen to arrive in, as visitor, spectator, coach, or even ''manager''.[Y]http://www.pinkun.com/content/pinkun/norwich-city/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED20%20Jan%202010%2010%3A00%3A32%3A680

-------------

Hartson tips Lambert for the big time

Last updated: 20/01/2010 10:00:00

John Hartson is backing old pal Paul Lambert to reach the very top of

the management game - but admits that City''s gain could ultimately

prove to be their biggest loss.Hartson

- currently recovering from life-threatening cancer - played with

Lambert for five years at Scottish giants Celtic and said it was clear

that his skipper had set his sights on a career in management well

before retirement.Lambert''s success at City, who he has taken

into the second automatic place in League One, comes as no surprise,

but Hartson believes the problem for City now is to keep hold of their

biggest asset.“It''s unfortunate, but the big boys will come

sniffing around if he takes them back up,” said Hartson. “The hope is

that if Norwich get into the Championship then they are the big boys

once again and are just one season away from the Premier League. If

they can help with a little bit of investment then maybe they can keep

hold of Lambo. But if he keeps on going the way he is going now, then,

yes, they will start calling. I certainly see him managing at the

highest level.”Hartson spotted Lambert''s ambitions long ago.“I

lived on the same estate in Glasgow as him for five years so we became

good mates,” he said. “He was my captain and he was a wonderful player

who performed at the very highest level. “He won the European

Cup with Borussia Dortmund and is very knowledgeable about European

football and I believe he did all his work for his coaching badges in

Germany.“He was thinking about getting into management when he

was in his early 30s and while it has taken spells at Livingston and

Wycombe and Colchester to get going, he has found a fabulous club now

and is clearly enjoying it.“He seems to have galvanised the

team and is doing exceptionally well - but he will be fully aware that

the job is far from done yet. Having got the team up there and pushing

Leeds he has tasted what it''s like and he will want the team to keep

pushing on and on.“Lambo knows there will be a sticky patch

somewhere so he will want to get as many points in the bag as possible

so that when it does come it doesn''t hurt as much.”That''s when

the first problems will come should Lambert - who was heavily linked

with the Burnley job before Brian Laws was appointed - be courted by

others.But Hartson believes Lambert could be tempted to stay

not just by the club''s ambitions, but because of the attraction of

living in the county of Norfolk. Hartson should know: he spent a month

on loan at City under caretaker boss Jim Duffy in October, 2007, and

admits he fell in love with the place.“I was way past my best

when I went to Norwich and I was only really doing West Brom a favour

because I was on good money and I was just playing in the reserves,” he

said. “I struggled, there was a lot of driving and that, but it was a

terrific place, wonderful. The people were great, it is a lovely city.

I had a couple of nights out and played some golf, my family came up

and we really enjoyed it.“I wish I''d been there a few years

earlier when I was a lot fitter because I would have stayed. I had a

good career, but Norwich is probably the only place where I didn''t

perform, which I regret.“But it''s such a great place it may be

that Paul will decide to stay around, to live there and bring his

family down. I loved the place - maybe he will feel the same.”Hartson,

34, faces more surgery on his lungs and his brain to ensure he is

completely clear of the cancer which was diagnosed last July - but

intends following his old pal down the managerial path when he is

stronger.“I''ve had a few offers since I retired, but I''m not

quite ready yet to go out on the training pitch and do the job 24/7,”

he said. “That''s the only way I would want to do it.”

I''m sorry but he was just another washed up has been that suckled at the Norwich City tit.Whilst I can have sympathy for his health situation, he was embarrassing for us, how they got a shirt to fit him god alone knows.Welcome back? For me, no.

He wasn''t an embarrassment for us, i don''t think anyone actually watched him....

He was very unlucky not to score, if he had of done, he would have probably got on a little run.

He always won the ball in the air, he held it up really well, he even ran with it a couple of times, i think its a shame he didn''t get that form, and finish his career here on a high, llike Dublin...

anyway, hope he recovers fully, good luck to him.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]He wasn''t an embarrassment for us, i don''t think anyone actually watched him....

He was very unlucky not to score, if he had of done, he would have probably got on a little run.

He always won the ball in the air, he held it up really well, he even ran with it a couple of times, i think its a shame he didn''t get that form, and finish his career here on a high, llike Dublin...

anyway, hope he recovers fully, good luck to him.[/quote]The games I saw him play he was embarrassingly unfit and overweight. I was honestly cringing on the guys behalf.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Gingerpele"]He wasn''t an embarrassment for us, i don''t think anyone actually watched him.... He was very unlucky not to score, if he had of done, he would have probably got on a little run. He always won the ball in the air, he held it up really well, he even ran with it a couple of times, i think its a shame he didn''t get that form, and finish his career here on a high, llike Dublin... anyway, hope he recovers fully, good luck to him.[/quote]

The games I saw him play he was embarrassingly unfit and overweight.

I was honestly cringing on the guys behalf.

[/quote]

You do realise he had cancer whilst playing for Norwich don''t you? I have to say that I would think it doesn''t do much for physical fitness!

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Gingerpele"]He wasn''t an embarrassment for us, i don''t think anyone actually watched him.... He was very unlucky not to score, if he had of done, he would have probably got on a little run. He always won the ball in the air, he held it up really well, he even ran with it a couple of times, i think its a shame he didn''t get that form, and finish his career here on a high, llike Dublin... anyway, hope he recovers fully, good luck to him.[/quote]The games I saw him play he was embarrassingly unfit and overweight. I was honestly cringing on the guys behalf.

[/quote]

You do realise he had cancer whilst playing for Norwich don''t you? I have to say that I would think it doesn''t do much for physical fitness!

[/quote]Whilst I am sorry for his health problems, I care more about Norwich city than I care about John Hartson.The previous poster who said that if it wasn''t for his cancer then he would be just another fat waster who failed for us hit the nail on the head.I think people are letting sympathy get in the way of what actually happened.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Gingerpele"]He wasn''t an embarrassment for us, i don''t think anyone actually watched him.... He was very unlucky not to score, if he had of done, he would have probably got on a little run. He always won the ball in the air, he held it up really well, he even ran with it a couple of times, i think its a shame he didn''t get that form, and finish his career here on a high, llike Dublin... anyway, hope he recovers fully, good luck to him.[/quote]

The games I saw him play he was embarrassingly unfit and overweight.

I was honestly cringing on the guys behalf.

[/quote]

In fairness he looked like an athlete compared to Jan Molby in his loan spell. Chippy reckons he was the fattest bloke he''d ever seen in a pro dressing room!

[quote user="morty"]Oh and if he wasn''t fit enough he shouldn''t have been here in the first place!
[/quote]

And whose responsibility was it to ensure that someone coming into the club was fit enough?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Gingerpele"]He wasn''t an embarrassment for us, i don''t think anyone actually watched him.... He was very unlucky not to score, if he had of done, he would have probably got on a little run. He always won the ball in the air, he held it up really well, he even ran with it a couple of times, i think its a shame he didn''t get that form, and finish his career here on a high, llike Dublin... anyway, hope he recovers fully, good luck to him.[/quote]The games I saw him play he was embarrassingly unfit and overweight. I was honestly cringing on the guys behalf.

[/quote]

In fairness he looked like an athlete compared to Jan Molby in his loan spell. Chippy reckons he was the fattest bloke he''d ever seen in a pro dressing room!

[/quote]Lol, in all fairness also, even in his prime Molby was hardly ever a racing snake!!!

Well I enjoyed reading John''s kind words about Norwich, the surrounding area and its football club, anyway. Despite his obvious lack of fitness and poor condition physically, John still displayed an excellent first touch, a good sense of positioning on the field and some neat flicks. If he''d been fit he would have been awesome.

[quote user="Big Bad John"]

“I was way past my best when I went to Norwich and I was only really doing West Brom a favour because I was on good money and I was just playing in the reserves,” 

Yeah, cheers John.

"I had a couple of nights out and played some golf, my family came up and we really enjoyed it."

Oh thats nice, a nice holiday for you.

[/quote]

All due respect to the man but i fail to get tearful reading about the Hartson familys Norfolk holiday

“I wish I''d been there a few years earlier when I was a lot fitter because I would have stayed. I had a good career, but Norwich is probably the only place where I didn''t perform, which I regret.
[/quote]

I wish he''d been here earlier as well.

Despite his lack of fitness there were times when he did play for us that his ability showed and you could tell he was a good footballer.

Seems a very honest guy who always speaks well.

[quote user="GJP"]

“I wish I''d been there a few years earlier when I was a lot fitter because I would have stayed. I had a good career, but Norwich is probably the only place where I didn''t perform, which I regret.
[/quote]

I wish he''d been here earlier as well.

Despite his lack of fitness there were times when he did play for us that his ability showed and you could tell he was a good footballer.

Seems a very honest guy who always speaks well.

[/quote]

He showed brief moments of quality when he was here. I remember him changing the game when we were bottom of the league and 2-0 down at home to the scum.

[quote user="morty"]I''m sorry but he was just another washed up has been that suckled at the Norwich City tit.Whilst I can have sympathy for his health situation, he was embarrassing for us, how they got a shirt to fit him god alone knows.Welcome back? For me, no.[/quote]He was a beast in the Binner derby.Had the Defence and GK pooing themselves, he was just chatting sh*t at them the whole time un-nerving them.

Goodness that brings back memories (although mamaries could be equally applicable) - Carra Rud , 14,000 crowd , poisonous atmosphere a la fat bob , can''t remember the opposition , sometime mid/late 90''s. Jan Molbys city debut. He was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fat that you could see if he was an innie or an outey through his shirt. and these shirts weren''t your modern tight stretchy types. and a splendid pair of man boobs also. johnny hartson was pure herion chic in comparison.