Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Should we actually go for Barnard?

I notice Southend have announced three clubs are chasing Barnard but no offer has yet been accepted.Do you think Norwich should try and sign him or have we got enough in Holt, Hoolahan and Martin to keep us in the top two?I worry about injuries myself, i know we''ve signed Johnson who potentially looks good, but will he, Cureton or anyone else be able to fill those places if there is an injury?Would love to see Barnard here but I fear he will cost too much.Your thoughts?

Will he be good enough for the championship, which appears to be Lambert''s criteria for selling. Taking it further I am rather surpised that Cureton, Wally, Theotopless and wee Pauil have not yet been loaned out. Any money saved would help to top up the coffers a bit.

If you look at the Leeds boards (yes i have alot of time on my hands) they are saying they have signed him and he is having medical today. Fee of 150,000.

[quote user="JF"]If you look at the Leeds boards (yes i have alot of time on my hands) they are saying they have signed him and he is having medical today. Fee of 150,000.[/quote]I hope so, more team upheaval can only be good!!For the record  I think Chris Martin and Grant Holt are both better strikers than Barnard is.

he is good value but we have enough up front for now. once oli was signed, that was it. lambo must have known the situation. i am a little disappointed that he off to leeds tho. maybe they are planning for next season in L1.

I don''t think we need to pay that amount of money for someone who is going to sit on the bench. 

We dont need him, Olly Johnson is looking quick and good on the ball... I would feel happy with him coming in to replace any of the front three and still feel that we offered a significant threat... likelyhood is that he will be over priced, and whos to garantee his form will carry on if he made a switch!

If no striker is injured, would Barnard sit on the bench and come on as sub like Johnson?We are thin in the striking department, with only Cody and Curo for back-up if Johnson has to replace one of our great trio, although PL seems to like Daley. Suspensions we can probably muddle through, but a lengthy injury would be another matter.The main reason to suspect that we are not in the market is the question of money. We are short of it! If we manage promotion, I hope that we would pick up another striker, but they do come expensive in January as the club has to replace them within the month. They are cheaper in the summer, especially if we pick them up from relegated sides.With a very large debt of £23 million, we cannot honestly offer much in a bidding war.

[quote user="Salopian"]The main reason to suspect that we are not in the market is the question of money. We are short of it![/quote]Unfortunately, that tends to get overlooked Sal, especially by the people who expect us to buy every player who is available.

[quote user="Sir_Stiffy_Cutt"]Will he be good enough for the championship, which appears to be Lambert''s criteria for selling. Taking it further I am rather surpised that Cureton, Wally, Theotopless and wee Pauil have not yet been loaned out. Any money saved would help to top up the coffers a bit.[/quote]Im more concerned that the effort has been made and there have been no takers !

[quote user="morty"][quote user="JF"]If you look at the Leeds boards (yes i have alot of time on my hands) they are saying they have signed him and he is having medical today. Fee of 150,000.[/quote]I hope so, more team upheaval can only be good!!For the record  I think Chris Martin and Grant Holt are both better strikers than Barnard is.[/quote]For the record I think Chris Martin and Grant Holt are both better strikers, or just as good as Beckford is.

I should imagine that most clubs will now sit on their hands and wait until the last day to see how far clubs will go to get some money in. We still have to pay their wages so we may thiunk that they might as well stay if nothing half decent is offered. None appear to have much chance of furthering their career at Carrow Road so they won''t be going for experience, merely going to save the club money.

[quote user="JF"]If you look at the Leeds boards (yes i have alot of time on my hands) they are saying they have signed him and he is having medical today. Fee of 150,000.[/quote]Nothing on the yorkshire evening post''s websites dirty leeds page. Only about beckford maybe going to everton in the summer

[quote user="lordyfan"][quote user="JF"]If you look at the Leeds boards (yes i have alot of time on my hands) they are saying they have signed him and he is having medical today. Fee of 150,000.[/quote]

Nothing on the yorkshire evening post''s websites dirty leeds page. Only about beckford maybe going to everton in the summer
[/quote] No it''s on Leeds Mad and Waccoe but don''t think it''s been confirmed so may not be true.

[quote user="JF"][quote user="lordyfan"][quote user="JF"]If you look at the Leeds boards (yes i have alot of time on my hands) they are saying they have signed him and he is having medical today. Fee of 150,000.[/quote]Nothing on the yorkshire evening post''s websites dirty leeds page. Only about beckford maybe going to everton in the summer[/quote] No it''s on Leeds Mad and Waccoe but don''t think it''s been confirmed so may not be true.[/quote]It''s true now, it''s on the BBC.

[quote user="Canary Boy"][quote user="JF"][quote user="lordyfan"][quote user="JF"]If you look at the Leeds boards (yes i have alot of time on my hands) they are saying they have signed him and he is having medical today. Fee of 150,000.[/quote]Nothing on the yorkshire evening post''s websites dirty leeds page. Only about beckford maybe going to everton in the summer[/quote] No it''s on Leeds Mad and Waccoe but don''t think it''s been confirmed so may not be true.[/quote]It''s true now, it''s on the BBC.[/quote]And the article states that Southend categorically deny any bid has been made!

Holt, Martin, Cody, Oli... We don''t need him IMO.

£175k offer made by Dirty Leeds apparently so given that it was sneakily revealed on Late Kick Off that we spent £450k on Holt (Ince said it when sitting next to Gunny - seems a strange figure to ''make up'') and around 100k on Oli, plus 50k on Cody, I can''t see us spending nearly 800 grand on strikers in the one year at our level. Especially not when there are other areas that could be doing with strengthening/cover.

I''d definately take a punt for taht money (if we have it!!!), move Curo on and loan out Cody.

Lets all remember that Martin hasn''t signed a new deal yet and is out of contract at end of the season, if he did move we would get more than 150k and would need someone else. If not then he could either be sold again or would be a good option if one striker was off form.

I think Lambert would love to bring in another striker but is not in the position to do so. We''ll be OK as long as Holt and Martin stay fit but if either of them got injured we''d be very short of options. Oli will obviously feature off the bench as an impact player. Cody possibly the same although he seems to get very little time on the pitch (could it be that PL just doesn''t think he''s up to it?). But both of them are not long out of non-league football and it''s a big ask for them to consistently lead the attack.

The big problem is Cureton. With his wages and experience, he should be ideal cover but he''s obviously well out of favour and looks as though he''s not up to it any more.

Whilst Jamie is still on the wage bill I''m guessing we simply can''t afford to bring in another striker. I guess other clubs either can''t afford to take him on and / or don''t think he''s worth his current wages.

100% agree with Eadie''s Left, Huck''s Right, Iwan Head, for someone that is proven at this level and

could potentially make the step up to the championship it seems like a

very good price and a more adequent replacement for Chris Martin if he were to leave in the summer.

apparently two bids rejected ( most certain to be leeds & southampton ) and a third club have made enquiries. All three clubs vying for promotion and have been in the championship recently according to their chairman. So sounds like the third club is either us or charlton, and given charltons very bad financial situation it looks certain that we are the third club to have made enquiries.

I know lambert has said he has done his business for january, but maybe he is just waiting untill the end of the month to bid when southend realize they have got to sell!