Sign in to follow this  
Chelmsford Canary

The Next Lampard or Gerrard?

If you want to develop youth players with higher technical skills, you want to get them playing 5-a-side games from an early age.  We expect kids to play 11-a-side far too early in the UK, which is why we end up with runners like Gerrard and Lampard, and Spain ends up with Fabregas.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]If you want to develop youth players with higher technical skills, you want to get them playing 5-a-side games from an early age.  We expect kids to play 11-a-side far too early in the UK, which is why we end up with runners like Gerrard and Lampard, and Spain ends up with Fabregas.[/quote]Correct. Small pitches are the answer, and what has Sir Trev done about it? Nothing.

I actually think English club football in general and the national team is looking pretty good at the moment.

We have a lot of good players in the Premier League and a lot of good up-and-coming players as well. Plus we have a strong league structure below Premier League level which probably can''t be matched anywhere else in the world.

And internationally we finally have a manager who looks like he knows how to run the team and take us forward.

Up until a couple of years ago Spain were often labelled as a bunch of "bottlers" but now they''ve won the Euros (which has nowhere near the prestige of the World Cup) all of a sudden they''re being praised up left, right and centre. And that''s not to say they''re not a good side because they clearly are and they have some very talented players.

If England go to South Africa and bring home the World Cup I assume they will be held in the same regard as Spain and seen as the team that everyone else should aspire to be like.

[quote user="GJP"]

I actually think English club football in general and the national team is looking pretty good at the moment.

We have a lot of good players in the Premier League and a lot of good up-and-coming players as well. Plus we have a strong league structure below Premier League level which probably can''t be matched anywhere else in the world.

And internationally we finally have a manager who looks like he knows how to run the team and take us forward.

Up until a couple of years ago Spain were often labelled as a bunch of "bottlers" but now they''ve won the Euros (which has nowhere near the prestige of the World Cup) all of a sudden they''re being praised up left, right and centre. And that''s not to say they''re not a good side because they clearly are and they have some very talented players.

If England go to South Africa and bring home the World Cup I assume they will be held in the same regard as Spain and seen as the team that everyone else should aspire to be like.

[/quote]An Italian manager. How about some foreign players too? Mikel Arteta & Charles N''Zobia now qualify for selection.

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

An Italian manager. How about some foreign players too? Mikel Arteta & Charles N''Zobia now qualify for selection.

[/quote]

Perhaps not ideal but given the mess McClaren made of it maybe it was for the best to get in someone who could steady the ship and point us back in the right direction.

I shan''t be complaining if we''re successful in SA.

I''d agree that we''re looking ok right now.  But what happens in 10 or 15 years time ?  That''s what Brooking was tasked to look after, and his statement appears to be either an admission of failure or a warning message to the top teams, who tend to recruit internationally unless they find exceptional English kids.

Jack Wilshire & Henri Lansbury of Arsenal

Jack Rodwell of Everton

Fabian Delph at Villa

Danny Welbeck & Tom Cleverly at Man Utd

players i and there clubs have very high hopes for.

Definitely wouldn''t say Milner is slow. He''s fast enough for a centre mid if that''s where you''re playing him and he''s fast enough on the wing too. I wouldn''t say it''s all about being lightning quick. Gerrard and Lampard are definitely a different class though.. Huddlestone is a monster of a player, but certainly more defensive as mentioned before. I always thought Michael Johnson was the next Gerrard. He had everything (not quite as fast but still very young), but then he got that injury and there''s rumours it''s going to affect his entire career. I really rated him in his debut season and loved watching him play. Technically a great player - brilliant passsing and holding of the ball and can shoot well from range. I''d be gutted if he really doesn''t make a full comeback because he held so much promise as a pure centre mid. Always had him on FIFA and Pro and even FM! Ah well, time will tell..

P.S 100% agree with the need for 5 a side games for the youth though..they''re trained to be fit and able to run for 90 mins, but not enough training in smaller spaces where technique, short-passing, control and quick-thinking comes into play. I assume they use this more at Arsenal, but that''s only one team and it needs to be done at the youngest level.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]i think there is some very good young players coming through the youth systems.... I don''t know about another Lampard/Gerrard, but most teams manage without one.....Do Spain have one? There are other formations/tactics, that involve a different type of football, that suit diffrent players differently (like Barcelona, They play a very attacking game, with lots of little passes, and running with the ball, and trying to break through the defence, often in the middle, they have no Gerrard...)[/quote]

haha spain have xavi, iniesta in the middle and together are far better than lampard gerrard. Fabregas struggles to get in the spainish team then add david villa and torres up front the spainish have 10x the team we have.

[quote user="Power Ranger Canary"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]i think there is some very good young players coming through the youth systems.... I don''t know about another Lampard/Gerrard, but most teams manage without one.....Do Spain have one? There are other formations/tactics, that involve a different type of football, that suit diffrent players differently (like Barcelona, They play a very attacking game, with lots of little passes, and running with the ball, and trying to break through the defence, often in the middle, they have no Gerrard...)[/quote]

haha spain have xavi, iniesta in the middle and together are far better than lampard gerrard. Fabregas struggles to get in the spainish team then add david villa and torres up front the spainish have 10x the team we have.

[/quote]

I think it is fairly naive to think that just because they have a potent goal threat that they are 10 x the team. Although they do have two world class stickers and 2 world class centre midfielders the rest of there team is on par on below what we have.

The pairing of Puyol and Marchena in my opinion is weaker than that of Ferdinand and Terry who i believe are world class defenders. Lampard / Gerrard / Barry are are a world class midfield. Rooney is an exceptional talent and in Theo Walcott / Aaron Lennon / Ashley Young we have genuine raw pace which will frighten the hell out of defenders. I think the 2010 world cup is the best chance we have of winning a world cup since 1990

Dont agree with that. Spain have two of the worlds best strikers, we have rooney who is talented but not disciplined enough. The midfield of senna (much better than Barry) Iniesta Silva and Xavi is scarilly good. I think we have a chance as we are strong organised and actually very fast which is rare but in terms of raw talent we are nowhere near Spain.

compare the back 4''s

Cole Terry Ferdinand Johnson

against

Capdevilla Puyol Marchena Ramos

I think our back four on paper looks more solid.

I do agree tho Spain have the best strike force in the world. let hope one gets injered hey!

Why is your back four the wrong way round :P the left backs are on the right :P

but yeah are defence is better, GK is not though, midfield is not as good in terms of talent, but i think they way England play, makes them better, if we tried to play like Spain.....we would lose, but if we play like England.....we win/do better.... :D

To continue the striker theme for a minute, how crap was Heskey last night? I can''t believe he''s going to be leading the line for England in the summer. He even managed to fall over after rounding the keeper! It''s not fair, Spain get Torres & Villa, we get Heskey. There must be better choices. I''d pick Zamora or Kevin Davies in an instant over Heskey, not because they''re any more prolific but becuase they are better target men and do the simple thing that Heskey doesn''t, like following in a shot. I''d even gamble on a youngter like Strurridge over Heskey, he''s inexperienced, not playing for his club and a complete big time charlie, but he is a natural finisher. James Milner was anonymous last night until Blackburn went down to ten men, even then he only really shone when David Dunn was inevitably taken off injured and Allardyce changed their shape to 4-3-2. The commentators were raving about him for the last 40 minutes, but frankly I''d like to think I would have looked a £5000 a week player given that much space!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]GRANT HOLT :D[/quote]You joke about it, but I would take Grant Holt instead of Emile Heskey!

On paper our back 4 may look more solid, but in reality I don''t know. Ferdinand is injured lots and not looking as confident as usual, Terry is a bit overated in my book and both us and spain have right backs that are better going forward than defending. Left back is the only position I think we are stronger but I have not seen much of Capdevilla.

spain are so much better than us their squad is unbelievable fabregas on the bench for christ sake. Its all well and good if you say a team has better individual players we can beat them by working as a team but they are better at that than us aswell.

Somebody said you won''t win anything with a team of James Milners.

Maybe not. But you sure need a couple in the team. Alf Ramsay knew that.

Although he may not play pretty, he''s pretty effective.

We''ll soon find out what Fabio thinks!

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]I dispute that, he is anonymous against anyone decent. Fabio also thinks Heskey is a striker, Gerrard is a left winger and Glenn Johnson won''t be torn to ribbons. I have no faith in Fabio.Qualification is not an achievement, it''s an expectation. We had an easy group, Croatia weren''t the team they were and Ukraine were unlucky to lose at Wembley and beat us in Dnipro. We are a poor team. If there were points for friendlies we would have taken four from fifteen against Germany, France, Holland, Brazil and Spain.  

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]I dispute that, he is anonymous against anyone decent. Fabio also thinks Heskey is a striker, Gerrard is a left winger and Glenn Johnson won''t be torn to ribbons. I have no faith in Fabio.Qualification is not an achievement, it''s an expectation. We had an easy group, Croatia weren''t the team they were and Ukraine were unlucky to lose at Wembley and beat us in Dnipro. We are a poor team. If there were points for friendlies we would have taken four from fifteen against Germany, France, Holland, Brazil and Spain.  

[/quote]

Agreed, Penfold, I also have little faith in Capello.Roy Hodgson is the man who should be England manager.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Penfold"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

I dispute that, he is anonymous against anyone decent.

Fabio also thinks Heskey is a striker, Gerrard is a left winger and Glenn Johnson won''t be torn to ribbons. I have no faith in Fabio.

Qualification is not an achievement, it''s an expectation. We had an easy group, Croatia weren''t the team they were and Ukraine were unlucky to lose at Wembley and beat us in Dnipro. We are a poor team. If there were points for friendlies we would have taken four from fifteen against Germany, France, Holland, Brazil and Spain.  

[/quote]

Agreed, Penfold, I also have little faith in Capello.

Roy Hodgson is the man who should be England manager.
[/quote]

There''s just no pleasing some folk. Perhaps we should have kept that genius called McLaren !!  

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]Wilshere, Shelvey, Bostock and Delph will all be top class, I dont see why people are worried about it.[/quote]

Agreed they''ve got bright futures. And just to re-iterate, I think if Michael Johnson hadn''t been injured for so long he would have developed into something special

I think Huddlestone is a good prospect - can play centre mid or centre back if needed. Has a good range of passing on him - is like a defencively minded Gerrard in my books. Not as good yet but a fair bit younger.