Sign in to follow this  
Chelmsford Canary

The Next Lampard or Gerrard?

BBC Sport - Football Association director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking has warned England does not have enough depth of young talent and he does not know where the next Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard will come from.

Korey Smith?

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

BBC Sport - Football Association director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking has warned England does not have enough depth of young talent and he does not know where the next Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard will come from.

Korey Smith?

[/quote]

Given the fact that Sir Trevor has been Football Development Director since 2003, the fact he is saying things like this is a bit stupid.

If I had been a development Director for 7 years and had not managed to devolop any foreseeable new talent, I would either keep a very low profile, or resign, as I would come to the conclusion that I had not have been very good at my job.

[quote user="GRFC"][quote user="Colchester Canary"]

Korey Smith?

[/quote]

Given the fact that Sir Trevor has been Football Development Director since 2003, the fact he is saying things like this is a bit stupid.

If I had been a development Director for 7 years and had not managed to devolop any foreseeable new talent, I would either keep a very low profile, or resign, as I would come to the conclusion that I had not have been very good at my job.

[/quote]Or you can just blame the yoof for being lazy

i think there is some very good young players coming through the youth systems....

I don''t know about another Lampard/Gerrard, but most teams manage without one.....Do Spain have one?

There are other formations/tactics, that involve a different type of football, that suit diffrent players differently (like Barcelona, They play a very attacking game, with lots of little passes, and running with the ball, and trying to break through the defence, often in the middle, they have no Gerrard...)

[quote user="GRFC"][quote user="Colchester Canary"]

Korey Smith?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Very good - he should shut it really!

Yeah Darren Gibson, but thought he was Irish or N/Irish

[quote user="Barclayman"]Darren Gibson?
[/quote]

A 22 year old Irishman? Great shout.

[quote user="Allez17"]Tom Adeyemi was labelled ''the next steven gerrard'' on my FM10 game. True story. [/quote]

FM KNOWS ALL :P

But Korey Smith is about 10x better on FM..... so he must be the next someone better than Gerrard....

[quote user="paul moy"]Milner[/quote]James Milner is too small and slow for international football. Against Brazil he was out of his depth, but then again so are Lampard & Gerrard...England needs to develop passers, not more athletes. We''re the only nation that says stuff like "yeah, but he''s got a great engine". This is why we''re rubbish. 

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="paul moy"]Milner[/quote]

James Milner is too small and slow for international football. Against Brazil he was out of his depth, but then again so are Lampard & Gerrard...

England needs to develop passers, not more athletes. We''re the only nation that says stuff like "yeah, but he''s got a great engine". This is why we''re rubbish.

[/quote]

Sorry your wrong, milner is a great player and will shine in south africa

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="paul moy"]Milner[/quote]James Milner is too small and slow for international football. Against Brazil he was out of his depth, but then again so are Lampard & Gerrard...England needs to develop passers, not more athletes. We''re the only nation that says stuff like "yeah, but he''s got a great engine". This is why we''re rubbish. [/quote]

[/quote]He''ll only shine against weak opponents. As I said he''s 5 ft 9 & not very quick. In international football if you''re small you need searing pace which he doesn''t have. Being a hard worker isn''t enough again the good teams. Brazil are a physically huge team and had him in their pockets, watch the game again. 

Agree that Milner is a great player, and still younger than I think. However i''m not sure if he or anyone else knows his best position? For Villa he is great in the middle, especially as they have Downing, Young, and Aggie that play out wide.

James Milner is too small and slow for international football. Against Brazil he was out of his depth, but then again so are Lampard & Gerrard...

England needs to develop passers, not more athletes. We''re the only nation that says stuff like "yeah, but he''s got a great engine". This is why we''re rubbish.

[/quote]

My answer was in response to the original topic.  [:D]

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He''ll only shine against weak opponents. As I said he''s 5 ft 9 & not very quick. In international football if you''re small you need searing pace which he doesn''t have. Being a hard worker isn''t enough again the good teams. Brazil are a physically huge team and had him in their pockets, watch the game again.

[/quote]

Glad you followed up about his height. When you said he was too small my first response was "He''s built like a brick **** house and can battle with the best of them." I don''t think you need to be too tall in central midfield but you have to have great balance and vision. Jack Wilshire is one who could if he gets the breaks. He''s certainly got the talent. Unfortunately he may be at the wrong club to shine and get noticed. It normally helps if you''re at a rubbish club to get noticed. Rooney at Everton, Gerrard at Liverpool (they were rubbish when Gerrard came through) Would have said Aaron Ramsey as well but he''s Welsh. That Huddlestone looks fairly good every time I see him play but not sure how old he is.

i think Bolton are in the process of arranging a loan deal for Wilkshire til the end of the season

Huddlestone is 23 and a fantastic player in my opinion, tho a bit more defensive than the likes of Stevie G and Lampard

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="paul moy"]Milner[/quote]James Milner is too small and slow for international football. Against Brazil he was out of his depth, but then again so are Lampard & Gerrard...England needs to develop passers, not more athletes. We''re the only nation that says stuff like "yeah, but he''s got a great engine". This is why we''re rubbish. [/quote]

[/quote]He''ll only shine against weak opponents. As I said he''s 5 ft 9 & not very quick. In international football if you''re small you need searing pace which he doesn''t have. Being a hard worker isn''t enough again the good teams. Brazil are a physically huge team and had him in their pockets, watch the game again. 

[/quote]5 ft 9 is the average height for males so he can hardly be considered short. The height of midfielders is generally unimportant, centre backs and centre forwards maybe but not midfielders. He is after all the same height as Cesc Fabregas is he not good enough for international football too?

I actually agree with you that you don''t need to be huge to play in central midfield. Spain are the best team in the world right now and their tallest central midfielder Marcos Senna at 5 ft 9. Xavi, Andres Iniesta and David Silva are all 5 ft 7. However, they can play a pass and move game that we can''t compete with, because, unfortunately, like I said originally, we''re still more concerned with players ''having a great engine''.Tom Huddlestone is a player I like a lot, he has a great range of

passing. Unlike Milner, Huddlestones main problem is that he''s too big,

he''s very immobile.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Penfold"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]5 ft 9 is the average height for males so he can hardly be considered short. The height of midfielders is generally unimportant, centre backs and centre forwards maybe but not midfielders. He is after all the same height as Cesc Fabregas is he not good enough for international football too?[/quote]5 ft 9 is short if your opponent is 6 ft 2! Average people don''t play international football.Cesc Fabregas is a terrific footballer, but we don''t have an equivalent.James Milner is a great player against average teams, I''ve never once seem him dominate a good team. That''s what he is going to have to do if he''s going to play international football.

Fabregas doesn''t have an easy time getting into the Space team tbh....like Torres at time as well...there central midfield and striker options are amazing, even if Villa and Torres where injured, they would still have good enough strikers to win the World Cup....

[quote user="CallsignViper"]

Jack Wilshire is one who could if he gets the breaks. He''s certainly got the talent. Unfortunately he may be at the wrong club to shine and get noticed. It normally helps if you''re at a rubbish club to get noticed. Rooney at Everton, Gerrard at Liverpool (they were rubbish when Gerrard came through)

[/quote]

Jack Wilshere probably couldn''t be at a better club. He''s playing for a club and manager that truly value the development of young players with a focus on playing the game the right way with great technical ability.

Rooney and Gerrard were noticed because they were (and still are) outstanding talents and at big clubs. Calling Everton and Liverpool rubbish clubs is a bit...ridiculous.

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Penfold"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]5 ft 9 is the average height for males so he can hardly be considered short. The height of midfielders is generally unimportant, centre backs and centre forwards maybe but not midfielders. He is after all the same height as Cesc Fabregas is he not good enough for international football too?[/quote]5 ft 9 is short if your opponent is 6 ft 2! Average people don''t play international football.Cesc Fabregas is a terrific footballer, but we don''t have an equivalent.James Milner is a great player against average teams, I''ve never once seem him dominate a good team. That''s what he is going to have to do if he''s going to play international football.

[/quote]Don''t disagree with you about Milner, in an ideal world we would have better and he would be a fringe player at best, but this is England we have to take whatever we can get. Was just making the point that in general terms height is not so important in the midfield.

[quote user="Larry David"]

[quote user="Barclayman"]Darren Gibson?[/quote]

A 22 year old Irishman? Great shout.

[/quote]obviously i wasnt aware of that you knobber

Both Lampard and Gerrard are run-of-the-mill players at international level. All engine, no brains, especially Gerrard. As will be proved again the moment we meet a top side in SA.

You''d hope that our ambition would be to produce better players than them.

But then the England football team has been hopeless for my entire lifetime, so I guess we shouldn''t be too surprised.

It''s hard to name young players who are going to be great in the future, everybody matures at a different rate.Whilst we''re naming young prospects though, I''ve always liked the look of the injury plagued Michael Johnson at Man City.