Sign in to follow this  
Herb

Quality of the football under Lambert.

Since Lambert took charge we really do seem to have got our team back. The football we''re playing this season is certainly the most attractive I can remember since Walker was in charge. We consitantly pass the ball and rarely resort to hopeful lumps upfield, even though to a more limited tactician such a method might yield some success with Holt as the target man. Now I know it''s D3, not D1 but it''s refreshing to have a manager who knows how the game is meant to be played.

Agreed, we have played some really good stuff in the last 3 to 4 months. Certainly better than we could have hoped for at this level, when I thought there might be a danger of neck strain from constantly watching the ball in the air.Interesting were "warned" that Lambert was going to bring a brand of not particularly attractive football, shows he can adapt given the players available to him.

Also there''s a togetherness in this team that is great. I feel that was absent last season.

For example when Hoolahan was hacked down on Saturday, Martin and Holt were over in a flash like his bodyguard.

Legends, the lot of ''em

I love how alot of the team celebrate when we score now too, not just the odd few! Thought thats probs due to us actually owning the players this season....

It''s great to see, and I''ve been impressed with the overall standard in this division, with most opponents trying to play football, even though they may be limited in terms of talent. It certainly hasn''t been the hoof-fest on quagmires that we were warned about (Saturday''s park pitch being a notable exception!)

The team spirit is clearly sky high and and as Notts says, the team celebrations are great to see. At the moment there seems to be a really strong bond between management, players and fans, and it''s good to hear the overall noise levels slowly increasing after the church like atmosphere for much of last season.

Now just can''t wait until Saturday when we can hopefully sing "We are top of the league a say we are top of the league!"

[quote user="First Wizard"]Even this message board seems calmer these days![/quote]

There''s peace, harmony and unity at the moment, from the board room, through Team Lambert, the squad of players, the fans and in the fans'' forums (maybe not all the time in this last category, though, LOL). Long may it continue!

Agree with all of this. Haven''t enjoyed a season so much since the championship winning one, but it''s the quick, confident passing that has made it. New players coming in, Smith and Adeyemi coming of age early, Martin and Spillane (''Pinky and Perky'' no more), Russell finding a new role, Drury and Doc discovering old roles and goals as well, Hoolahan as the key and so on. Then there''s the tantilising prospect of Oli Johnson - just what is in store with him?

It''s a whole new ball game now! OTBC!

To be frank, the football does not exite me, i find it a tad boring. Having said that I will take any wins to get out of this league.

Thing is you can only beat what''s out there in front of you and some of it is not that pretty, or skillful, to be honest - but we''re definitely playing better than the dross of last season. If most of the squad stays together into next season AND we manage to get promoted (notice no chicken counting - yet!) AND we make a few decent signings then things could really start to blossom nicely. For now, I''m just glad for the momentum and togetherness the team has as that counts for more than we can probably imagine.

[quote user="Buckfast"]To be frank, the football does not exite me, i find it a tad boring. Having said that I will take any wins to get out of this league.[/quote]I get the impression that we work as hard as we need to - our best games seem to be against better opposition or teams we have a beef with like Colchester.That perhaps sounds a little insulting but they have scored one past teams and almost appear to take it down a gear and say - give it your best shot then. Sometimes the opposition do get one back, but its rare these days. Second half we go out and get another one and if the oppo push harder we counter and get more.As others have said we can only beat the teams that turn up to play and right now I think that we have got a good rythem going. We appear fitter than a lot of teams in this league, we keep going to the final whistle. Against teams that are hard to break down we still create chances, and when we score it tends to mean they have to change their approach and play opens up more which works to our favour.Lastly - football is NOT A FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT. The buzz of football is the ride that it offers, not whether we have super-star mega-skillful players that make football look ''pretty''. You get that with continued success, and in the meantime the buzz is the crowd, the wins, the desperate draws, the harsh losses and the incredible celibrations . . . . . bored? Why bother to go then?

Football IS entertainment. If I was watching boring games every week I simply would not go, and with regard to games on the TV, I watch the teams and players that entertain me, and not the Boltons and Birminghams. 

[quote user="paul moy"]Football IS entertainment. If I was watching boring games every week I simply would not go, and with regard to games on the TV, I watch the teams and players that entertain me, and not the Boltons and Birminghams. [/quote]NO IT''S NOT!!!! Football is a sport. Sometimes sport is boring. Wrestling is entertainment. If you don''t like nil nil draws, or the long ball game, maybe you should switch over and watch that [;)]

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="paul moy"]Football IS entertainment. If I was watching boring games every week I simply would not go, and with regard to games on the TV, I watch the teams and players that entertain me, and not the Boltons and Birminghams. [/quote]

NO IT''S NOT!!!!

Football is a sport. Sometimes sport is boring. Wrestling is entertainment. If you don''t like nil nil draws, or the long ball game, maybe you should switch over and watch that [;)]
[/quote]

THEATRE can be boring but is is still classed as entertainment. If football was not entertainment it would not be on TV and people would not travel hundreds of miles to watch individual players of skill such as Hucks. Without Hucks over the years there are many games that I would not have bothered going to>... I went for ENTERTAINMENT !! Take the entertainment out of football and you get Bolton and Birmingham-sized crowds instead of full-houses at Norwich !!!!!  [<:o)]

theatre is not boring to people that love theatre.

bolton are not boring to people that love Bolton.

People dont support/love teams for entertainment, they watch other football for entertainment!!

If we had Allardyce or Blackwell, played the long ball and won every game 1-0, I''d be happy,

Id just so happens to this season we are playing, good attractive football and winning!

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]Of course football is entertainment, although not all matches are entertaining.[/quote]No IT REALLY ISN''T.You know why? Because if everyone gave up watching football or going to games and watch it football would still happen it would just be an amateur SPORT. Infact lots of football happens now without people watching it. If nobody is watching it is it entertainment? No. The fact that people enjoy watching sport makes the act of being a supporter entertaining but football is not part of the entertainment industry.For example, you went to the theatre and all of the actors forgot say 30% of their lines, you would want a refund - does any sporting club that has paying fans give a refund for pants performances? Nope, does sky give you a refund on a pay-per-view because it was dull? No. What''s entertaining about football is you can never be sure about what is going to happen inside those 90mins and people pay to witness it.You go to the theatre and expect to be entertained, there is always a risk that going a supporting a football team that you may well be entertained by the opposition in which case you wont be happy, it could be a dull 0-0 in which case you wont be entertained (perhaps) there are too many outcomes for me to go through but I think you get the picture - its not always about the result its about the performance as well.With theatre you know what you are going to get. I am going to a gig tonight, the band has two albums out and I know pretty much every track now, I know what they are going to play so why do I go? I want to here them live and I want to be part of the experience.Sport is different. I go to watch because again I want to see it with my own eyes, I want to be part of the experience of being at a football match, join in the chants, chat with the random stranger next to me, jump up and down and see my team get a good result. The main difference being that its not guaranteed.The reason why football is being destroyed is because people pay good money and then turn up to be ''entertained'' when it simply doesn''t work like that. A large part of the matchday experience for me is the crowd. If there weren''t 24k+ other people there the experience would be pretty much the same as watching a Sunday league game or the Norwich team training, it wouldnt have the same atmosphere. I go to a game knowing that it is partly my duty to join in with chants, to applaud good bits of football and to basically try and enjoy the whole experience. If I sat there and did nothing with the same number of people I would expect to be bored and I wouldn''t expect the team to perform as well either.