Sign in to follow this  
Canary Renaissance

My underpants, Paul Lambert and a Nantes FC scarf

It was 16th September 2003 and the day I first wore that particular pair of underpants. Coincidently it was also the day I was given a Nantes FC scarf, a present from a friend who had been on holiday to France a few weeks before. Those in the know will appreciate that the scarf was yellow and green, a reflection of the fact that our French cousins also play in the glorious colours - Le Canaries. The new underpants and the scarf helped to secure the win that day against Gillingham, 3 - 1 I think? For every fixture for the rest of the season (well almost), the combination of said underpants and Nantes scarf did the trick and we went on to win the Div 1 championship.

As you may have guessed the lucky pants and scarf were worn regularly for match days over the next few seasons and yes, they were washed between games! I still regarded them a lucky despite the occasional (???) defeat through 2004 - 2009. To not wear them would have meant certain defeat in my mind. Although the pants were somewhat worn out at the start of this season, I was still determined to wear the matching set. It was a superstition that couldn’t be broken, part of the match day ritual. The 2009 /10 season promised so much, despite being in the third tier of English football. We were bound to beat Colchester, with the combination of a new team and the lucky(?) pants and scarf.

The rest is history. The pants were thrown out and the scarf has not seen the light of day since that defeat. Who needs superstition and match day rituals when you have Paul Lambert, Ian Culverhouse and Ian Crook in charge? They are a collective genius. Has Lambert and co relieved you of any such rituals, or has their arrival sparked a new must wear, must do routine? The socks are already in the washing machine on arrival home from the game today. They will be ready for Tuesday when we walk out at the Bescot on Tuesday. Come on you Yellows.

After todays game I should think there were a few pairs of messy underpants around after such a nailbiting second half.

[quote user="kdncfc"]After todays game I should think there were a few pairs of messy underpants around after such a nailbiting second half.[/quote]

EEeeewwwwww!