Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Will the diamond work without Holt?

I think it probably could work with Oli but i doubt if he''d lead the line as well as GH so i''d like to see PL go 4-4-2, something like:

-------------FF-------------

RM-----GD-------MN-----AD

AM-----DR-------SH-----SL

--------CM-------OJ--------

Give Hooly a rest too, i''d like to see more of Oli/Martin partnership. Looks like it could be a bit. special

I would tinker with it the absolute minimum. I think Olli can play a similar role to Holt, if you start chopping and changing too much you''re asking for trouble.Leave Hoolahan out? Nah.

We can''t afford to give one of the best players in League One a rest, especially when things are so close at the minute and especially when we''re already without Holt.

I guess it depends on whether or not PL sticks with the diamond.

If he goes 4-4-2 i don''t think it can accommodate Hoolahan. He maybe the best player in the league, but that''s when he''s playing in the hole.

Reverting to 4-4-2 would be tantamount to football suicide.Everyone in the team right now is comfortable with the system, and it is working to get us results.I would expect to see Oli in Holt''s position on Tuesday night.

Exactly mate, Oli looks as though he''ll be able to slot into that position, he won''t offer quite the physical presense Holt does but he''ll link up well with Chrissy & Wes.

why do people want to get rid of Korey Smith?

He may not be the best technical midfielder, but if Hughes was on today, i don''t think we would have won........

I think just swap holt for OJ.......maybe play Martin further forwards, not going wide as much....

[quote user="Lambo"]Exactly mate, Oli looks as though he''ll be able to slot into that position, he won''t offer quite the physical presense Holt does but he''ll link up well with Chrissy & Wes.[/quote]I think he will, they will play the ball more on the ground instead.Wouldn''t it be odd if Oli slotted right in and Holty struggled to get back in the team?

PL has built/is building a squad that gives him options. It''s hardly suicide to simply use some of those options.

Having said that, i do think he''ll probably change as little as possible. I''d just like to see some of our other players out there because i think they''re easily good enough to do the business. And if we are to have options it''s as well to know that they work than just keep them on the shelf gathering dust. So to speak!

I say if its not broke don''t fix it.Many people thought that we would become predictable in the formation and teams would suss us out and we would have to revert to 4-4-2, well it hasn''t happened yet in my opinion.IF it does happen, then we have personnel to change the formation, but changing it for the hell of it isn''t an option.Too many times previous manager have played players in positions and systems they weren''t comfortable with and look where that got us lol.

If they play and fight like they did today then there won''t be anything to worry about.

Chris Martin put in the best shift I''ve ever seen from him today and if he keeps doing that it''ll soften the blow of losing Holt.

Agreed mate, we know the options are there if we need them. Using them for the hell of it when we have someone who can slot into the current system doesn''t make sense.

[quote user="a1canary"]I guess it depends on whether or not PL sticks with the diamond.

If he goes 4-4-2 i don''t think it can accommodate Hoolahan. He maybe the best player in the league, but that''s when he''s playing in the hole.[/quote]So although he''s the best player in the league, he can only play with ONE formation? I think the diamond could and probably will work. I mean does Holt really come much into the diamond, which would differ if we played 4-4-2 other than the linking up with Hooley, which I''m sure Johnson could also do well enough. No doubting Holt''s quality, but im sure it will work. And if it''s not, then bring on Macnamee and play 4-4-2 if we''re in need of a goal, and see how it goes?

I guess that we will find out on Tuesday night???If it doesn''t work then your line-up is maybe worth a shout.  I think that Wes and Korey would be pretty peeved off if Lambert changed it by dropping them both from the start though.

Exactly, thats why we should stick with the current system to start the game, if it''s not working without Holt we have the option to change it.

Have faith in PL whatever he does and whatever he does just like today he will have a trialed plan A B C and D.

It is worth noting that to date nobody who PL has brought in has not preformed as well or better than the person who already held the shirt.

Who knows maybe Oli 4 or 5 goals in these next 3 games and Holt having to work his way back from the bench

Keep it as it is, just straight swap of Oli for Holt. If we had lost Holt for 3 games a few months ago I would  have been really worried but not now,Oli offers something different but could be just as effective. Time will tell. He`s coming into a team with so much confidence it should make it easier for him.

Although a straight swap in personel I actually think Martin may be the one given the lead the line role. He has done this in the past when MacDonald has come on to replace Holt.The other week they were talking about the most underated player we have at the moment. For me it is Chris Martin. No one ever seems to go overboard with praise for him but if you look at where he has played this season people should see that not only does he have quality but he has an incredibly good understanding of the game too.He has played up front as the second striker behind Holt, he has played as the main striker ahead of Cody, he has played in the hole behind the front two and he has played on the wings. In all positions he has threatened and either created chances or scored from those positions.At the end of the day you will have three attack minded players on the pitch all of which seem to know how to pick a pass and also make the run that a pass can find. If they play like they did today then I can see us doing ok in Holt''s absence.Our biggest test will be Tuesday when we play Walsall who were tight at the back when we played them. Perhaps a little bit of Oli trickery is what we need to get something out of that game. That guy has got goals in him, looks as though he could be a half decent wide man as well if needs be.

Well it was interesting to hear the bees boss saying he''d been to watch us twice and asked other managers about hooly and declared his strategy for dealing with him a success on account of him being subbed. It was his replacement who set the goal up and they won''t have asked anyone about him!?

As rudolph says, other managers will be ripping up their game plans if they find hooly on the bench!

IMO there''ll just be a straight swap of Oli for Holt, nothing more. Martin seemed to take on the ''physical''/target role in the second half and did it pretty well, so I reckon that''ll continue.

As to Holt, there''s absolutely no way we wanted him to be out, but a break could well do him some good, help to recharge the batteries and all that for a final push - so long as we continue to get the points on the board, that is!

Oli isn''t a small lad and won a fair amount in the air today. He offers a lot on the ground with the ball at his feet and I cannot remember him giving the ball away. Straight swap for Holty as far as I can see.

@Brendan-it has been widely acknowledged that Lambert created the role behind the strikers to fit in the team and that is what has made him the best player in the division. He can play where he likes but there is a reason Lambert took his straight out of the team when he was out left. If we play 442, he is not as effective. But as many have probably rightly said, we will likely see the usual formation Tuesday with just Oli in for Holt.

Dropping Wes would also give Wallsall a real boost. A team missing two players with over 35 goals between them?

I''d love to see that team sheet as th eopposition.

Think Lambo will just go with a straight swap and bring OJ in for holt and keep the system the same. Although i could see him playing hooly just of martin and bringing another man into the midfeild, Hughes/Macnamee

Well, my ''cracked diamond'' theory has proved pretty much wrong thus far, so I''m going to shut the f*ck up and let King Lambo do his job.Mind you, if it goes tits up you can be sure I''ll be here to remind you all.