Sign in to follow this  
65Vintage

Centre of Defence

So everyone appears to be on form, and we have now seen Zak Whitbread as well - thought he did well.

Doc is a new player, got up when down and threw his whole body into some great blocks today. His distribution was good too - he is also playing the ball out of defence, and also came wide to give us some width in the second half.

Nelson is not so good distribution wise imo, but won pretty much everything in the air, and was really solid.

Zak looked good too - I thought he took a few minutes to get into it, but then looked assured and has pace for a cenre back.

And then - we still have Askou, who has been great (fantastic header of the ball) and Spillane who can do a job there - and challenge Martin at right back!

So what is our best central defensive partnership - any thoughts?

Nice problems though!

With Askou, Nelson, Whitbread and Doc on board, Im happy to have 4 quality CB''s. Dont really mind, but the Doc/Nelson is going well atm.

[quote user="65Vintage"]So do we stick with Doc & Nelson when Askou is fit and Whitbread is as well?[/quote]While they have the shirt, and are keeping clean sheets, of course we do.

Stays as it is as it until it needs changing.

I sort of get the feeling that some have already made their minds up that Zak Whitbread is going to be something special. There''s been comments on his pace and his ability to pass the ball etc and as I was leaving the game tonight I heard a fella say that he was "awesome" when he came on and "won everything". Which, I thought, was a bit wide of the mark.

And that''s not me saying I don''t rate the guy or don''t want to see him do well because I hope he proves to be a very good signing.

However, with how things are at the moment somebody is going to have to really go some to get ahead of Doc and/or Nelson.

Nelson was excellent in the second half today, slightly weaker in the first when his passing was exposed.

Doc was superb

Whitbread was impressive,  composed on the ball (best of the centre backs based on yesterdays 45 mins),  strong in the tackle and holding people up (he will conceed fouls being so close to his man though) and good in  teh air,  but the one trait I was not so keen on was how long he spent on the floor;  he went for tackles which were 50/50, ok duringa  normal game when you have a full back covering,  but not when a man down and three at the back.  He did not win enough of those tackles and they got in behind as a result

Our style of football means our centre backs have plenty of time with the ball at their feet.  As such I would go straight to Doc Whitbread once Whitbread confirms he is fully match fit.

Harsh on Nelson,  but better for the team all round  

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Nelson was excellent in the second half today, slightly weaker in the first when his passing was exposed.

Doc was superb

Whitbread was impressive,  composed on the ball (best of the centre backs based on yesterdays 45 mins),  strong in the tackle and holding people up (he will conceed fouls being so close to his man though) and good in  teh air,  but the one trait I was not so keen on was how long he spent on the floor;  he went for tackles which were 50/50, ok duringa  normal game when you have a full back covering,  but not when a man down and three at the back.  He did not win enough of those tackles and they got in behind as a result

Our style of football means our centre backs have plenty of time with the ball at their feet.  As such I would go straight to Doc Whitbread once Whitbread confirms he is fully match fit.

[/quote]I agree with this, though Nelson has surpassed my initial opinions and I concede he is better than first impressions suggested.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Doc was superb

[/quote]I agree with this, though Nelson has surpassed my initial opinions and I concede he is better than first impressions suggested.[/quote]I still thikh he will get found out at a higher level against pacier strikers if I''m honest.