Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report v Brentford

Sometimes you are priveledged to witness a magnificent game

that lives long in the memory and sometimes you can look at a game in

retrospect and pick it out as of immense importance in the course of the

season. In Ricardo''s long experience these sort of games don''t come along very

often in a lifetime but nobody will ever convince me that this afternoons

performance was not one of these. I was very nervous before the game having

seen us fluff our lines so many times on these occasions but I should have realised

that this team and this manager is made of different stuff.

We started far better than in recent home games and both full backs were

finding plenty of space as we slung the ball about with confidence. Chances

were made with great regularity, Nelson had a strong header blocked on the line

and Martin and Hoolahan had good headers well saved. Despite the constant

pressure the goal didn''t come and the ref didn''t help matters with some strange

decisions leading to dangerous freekicks on the edge of our box. The incident

that changed the game came just before the break, Holty was fouled but as the

ball rolled clear he caught the Brentford defender with his studs. I wasn''t

surpised in the context of his performance that the ref produced the red card.

Very harsh I thought but in the course of a season these things happen.

It was a remarkably brave decision by Lambert to go three at the back for the

second half because I think most of us were thinking we needed to stay solid to

get a point. However despite being a man short we continued to dominate the

play but inevitably Brentford also started to get a few chances. Forster made a

magnificent low save from a strong header and looked equal to anything that was

thrown at him. When Hooly was withdrawn I was again unsure whether this was the

right decision but what happened a few minutes later showed why Lambert is the

City manager and I am sitting in the River End Stand (WTF do I know). OJ came

on and looked the part from the off. His shimmy and pass was tailor made for

Chris Martin to finish in accomplished style. CR erupted and even the normally

reserved Ricardo lost his voice in the biggest roar this season.

From there on in it was solid defence although Forster was called upon once

more to pull out a top drawer save. For this reason he is my MOM but only

because I give him 10 and everyone else 9.95. Rusty and Lappin were totally

immense in the middle while Doc was cool and calm and gave confidence to the

defence. The much maligned Neson was a rock and his 60 yard pass for a throw in

in the far corner in the last minute of injury time was greeted with the second

loudest roar of the day. As for the rest of them, magnificent, totally and

utterly magnificent. Its promotion for me without a shaddow of a doubt.

Agree with all of that.Todays game had "lose" written all over it.Absolutely immense to a man today.

As always Ricardo thank you. It''s reports like this that make being an exile that little bit more bearable.

Davo

Thanks for that as always Ricardo. I thought the last save that Forster made - low to his right was absolutely remarkable. He must have seen it late, but got down very quickly indeed. I do think he will go on to be a top top keeper.

[quote user="Twitchy"]Great read Ricardo as per usual, sounds like a great afternoon, was the Holt red worthy of an appeal?[/quote]I think he has to take his punishment Twitchy. He caught the guy no doubt about that. If the boot had been on the other foot I think we would all have been howling for a red.The only thing I forgot to mention was that the crowd were superb today. Its been quiet at times lately but when called upon they stepped in to make up the extra man.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Not as good read as the main page thou...[/quote]Oh go to hell you shit muncher! [:P]

[quote user="AJ"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Not as good read as the main page thou...[/quote]Oh go to hell you shit muncher! [:P][/quote]And for the record, it''s THOUGHnot THOUtotally different words.

[quote user="AJ"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Not as good read as the main page thou...[/quote]

Oh go to hell you shit muncher! [:P]
[/quote]

I''m no rug muncher, have watched some thou[:-*]

[quote user="AJ"][quote user="AJ"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Not as good read as the main page thou...[/quote]

Oh go to hell you shit muncher! [:P]
[/quote]

And for the record, it''s THOUGH

not THOU

totally different words.
[/quote]

The board spelling police are out. Who gives a toss.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

[quote user="AJ"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Not as good read as the main page thou...[/quote]Oh go to hell you shit muncher! [:P][/quote]

I''m no rug muncher, have watched some thou[:-*]

[/quote]Thoughtful and constructive critisism is always welcome CIB.

Ricardo, your reports are always well thought out, containing in depth analysis of the game (with only a hint of yellow and green tint) and always very well written. Always a joy to read on a saturday if I couldn''t make the game. Keep them coming![:D]

Agree 100% Ricardo. The entire team was superb. Noticed Korey and Drury had almost run themselves to a standstill by the end.The crowd was fantastic today, best atmosphere of the season so far ... so well done everyone who contributed [B]

I agree about the fans.  Firsth half was about lambasting the ref.   From the second half kick off the fans were pushing supporting and cheering the performance as that extra man. 

Reminds me of the win v Derby in the promotion season.

Although the Derby win was even better in my opinion (down to 10 and a goal down with 10 mins to go), it showed similar superb traits, to never know when we''re beaten being one, another being the fantastic team spirit and work ethic!

On the ball City!

Agree with what you have said Ricardo. Thought Brentford had a few too many free kicks and some of their challenges were worse than ours, while we got bookings they largely got away with it. But (unlike in the past) the whole team didn''t let it get to them. They were solid, especially after the departure of Holt. The changes at half time worked and although it was disappointing to see Hoolahan substituted I was expecting it and Oli brought an extra zip to the play. The last 15 minutes were crucial and we kept our shape, our nerve and triumphed when on so many occasions in the past we have fallen down and lacked backbone and spirit. Lambert was encouraging from the sidelines all match.

We now look good for promotion. Only a series of injuries surely can stop our surge. I really can''t see Lambert letting much unsettle the team. As for the players it''s a joy to watch them. Although not much sublime football today, there was at all times, spirit, teamwork and obvious confidence they could do the job.

As has been said, the atmosphere was good, and the sight of several fans in the South Stand standing at the end made me quite tearful. Perhaps after the tough times in the past four years our club is mending and ready for bigger things.

A proud day for all City fans.

Excellent report as ever Ricardo, with great analysis for those of us who weren''t able to be there. The next three games will be a test, but if Lambert and Co can come up with a solution as good as the 3-4-2 today, we still have grounds for optimism.

After their Cup draw today, Leeds will be playing Sat-Tues every week until the end of February, with 4 out of their next 5 League matches away! OTBC!

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]Reminds me of the win v Derby in the promotion season.

Although the Derby win was even better in my opinion (down to 10 and a goal down with 10 mins to go), it showed similar superb traits, to never know when we''re beaten being one, another being the fantastic team spirit and work ethic!

On the ball City![/quote]Is that the one where Mulryne slid in to slide it past the keeper to send us all wild before the ball had even touched the back of the net?

Fine reading as usual.

Ricardo, I don''t know what it was like seeing it live from your position in the ground, but I have looked at the goal about a dozen times on the highlights and in slow motion - and it strikes me that it it is one of the best goals City have scored in a long, long while. The state of the game, Martin''s run from deep, Johnson turning the full back this way and that about three to four times, his superb blind side pass, Martin''s anticipation and finally Martin''s finish which was superb and not nearly as easy as it looked.

Am I exaggerating?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Fine reading as usual.

Ricardo, I don''t know what it was like seeing it live from your position in the ground, but I have looked at the goal about a dozen times on the highlights and in slow motion - and it strikes me that it it is one of the best goals City have scored in a long, long while. The state of the game, Martin''s run from deep, Johnson turning the full back this way and that about three to four times, his superb blind side pass, Martin''s anticipation and finally Martin''s finish which was superb and not nearly as easy as it looked.

Am I exaggerating?

OTBC

[/quote]

No, it was a marvellous and very well worked goal....

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Fine reading as usual.

Am I exaggerating?

OTBC

[/quote]

No, it was a marvellous and very well worked goal....

[/quote]Spot on Mello.A great goal worthy of winning a great game.I''m starting to get that promotion feeling because things at last seem to be going for us. Opposition shots hitting the post are coming back out again (Wycombe, Brentford) whereas last year they were all going in. Theres a fine line between success and failure and we at last seem to be on the right side of that line.