Sign in to follow this  
newcastle uni canary

whitbread or doc

[quote user="i chuffing love lambert"]when both match fit who will start along side askou??? or will askou be replaced by the yank[/quote]And Doc should be dropped for which reason particularly? Or Nelson for that matter?

Why would Askou come straight back in when Doc outperformed askou and it seems to me that Whitbread out performed him too?

I''m one of Nelson''s biggest critics, but he''s been superb recently. Especially against Colchester and Brentford.

Doherty can''t be fauled either and doesn''t deserve to be dropped.

Whitbread came out and did very well yesterday. I was particularly impressed with how he looked on the ball.

Askou has been arguable our best defender.

It''s a good problem to have! But will be harsh on the two that are missing out.

Doc has been great this season, he WILL not be dropped, there is no chance......Whitbread was ok, maybe play with 3 CBs normally? Drury and Smith as wing backs Lappin/Rusty running around everywhere, and the front 3 doing there stuff :D

As long as Doc and Nelson keep performing like they have been then no-one else is getting in, fitness permitting. Some problem to have isn''t it? Keeps ''em on their toes.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Doc has been great this season, he WILL not be dropped, there is no chance......Whitbread was ok, maybe play with 3 CBs normally? Drury and Smith as wing backs Lappin/Rusty running around everywhere, and the front 3 doing there stuff :D[/quote]

And drop R Martin? Change the system completely?

I must be honest i thought that whitbread seemed a little clumsy when trying to control the ball. I noticed a few over-the-leg or under-the-foot errors.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

Askou has been arguable our best defender.

[/quote]

I don''t think so.

I like Askou but since he''s had a run of games I think Nelson has shown himself to be a better defender and the Doc has hardly put a foot wrong for weeks and weeks.

I wouldn''t be worried if Askou was in the team though. Which is nice.

Can''t criticise any of them at the moment. And Nelly''s clearance in the last minute yesterday, whcich must have travelled something like 70 yards and appeared to be made whilst laying on the turf, was as good as any I''ve seen in over 40 years[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Can''t criticise any of them at the moment. And Nelly''s clearance in the last minute yesterday, whcich must have travelled something like 70 yards and appeared to be made whilst laying on the turf, was as good as any I''ve seen in over 40 years[Y]

[/quote]

that got the biggest cheer of the day [;)]

its great we have got cover now dont no why people are started having a pop at askou if he hadnt got injured he would still be playing he was playing very well its just good for us we have quality cover now thats why we are were we are top otbc

Doc was my man of the match yesterday by far. He won EVERYTHING he went in for. And provided real good backup for Cory when he was tracking back to cover the right side. Doc is also distributing the ball much better than just clearing it like he used to.Zac looked a little shakey to start, but looks good.Nelson was faultless vs Exeter and Brentwood..Imo Askou should have to fight for his place back into the squad. As the ol saying goes. If somethings not broken don''t fix it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

That was a terrific bit of defending. It was the dying moments of the game, both teams were fighting for everything, he saw the loose ball and didn''t hesitate to launch it well clear. No messing around. That''s how you win games of football.

A bit of a wacko idea but if Askou is fit and able to start why not play the Doc upfront as our target man for a couple of games?Would be harsh on OJ I know . . . .

God!

What more does the Doc have to do to convince some that he is by far our best CB?

Nelson too has improved greatly in recent games so in reality if the good results continue messrs Askou and Whitbread are not going to get in bar suspensions/injuries!

For the record Doc and Nelson were both better than Whitbread yesterday although in fairness Whitbread is only coming into the team and back from injury!

Good to have decent back up to the 1st choice CB''s!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]As long as Doc and Nelson keep performing like they have been then no-one else is getting in, fitness permitting. Some problem to have isn''t it? Keeps ''em on their toes.
[/quote]

Yep Graham, totally agree.

[quote user="chicken"]A bit of a wacko idea but if Askou is fit and able to start why not play the Doc upfront as our target man for a couple of games?Would be harsh on OJ I know . . . . [/quote]I seem to remember a previous manager trying that, I think you know the rest of the story.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="chicken"]A bit of a wacko idea but if Askou is fit and able to start why not play the Doc upfront as our target man for a couple of games?Would be harsh on OJ I know . . . . [/quote]I seem to remember a previous manager trying that, I think you know the rest of the story.[/quote]Nah, I like it.  Wes can play left back and I''d like to see Nelson in the Fabregas role.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="morty"][quote user="chicken"]A bit of a wacko idea but if Askou is fit and able to start why not play the Doc upfront as our target man for a couple of games?Would be harsh on OJ I know . . . . [/quote]I seem to remember a previous manager trying that, I think you know the rest of the story.[/quote]Nah, I like it.  Wes can play left back and I''d like to see Nelson in the Fabregas role.[/quote]Lol!!!!Cody in goal?

The OP''s question is nonsense simply because Askou is better as a left sided player and Docherty on the right.   Askou and Whitbread may have a tussle for the lefthand berth but I cannot see Lambert playing either of them right side unless he has to which would on y be because Docherty Nelson and Spillane are unavaible.

And before some one objects, it does make a difference. All Nelson''s dodgy moments of recent weeks have been when played outside on his left foot and now we have the number of players we have, it makes good sense to play them in their strongest position.

Will Askou replace Nelson or Whitbread?  I don''t know.  He was far and away our best central defender for the first third of the season but Doc is now in the form of his life and Nelson is doing very well.  Whitbread looked more than good enough yesterday.

Interesting times; in a good way!!

Until Doc or Nelson make any real mistakes, which I cant see happening soon, why should Lambert drop them for Askou/Whitbread. Whitbreads been here 5 minutes, not enough to prove himself for me. Why change it if its not broken. Or what ever the saying is? [Y]

Since the Doc & Nelson partnership was forced on us again by the Askou injury we have won 6 straight games and conceded just one goal in that time. Why would want to change anyone unless forced to?