Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Player ratings

We''ve only got 10 men; 12 men, weve just beaten 12 men.  Wow,  that was impressive.  A solid first half with an impressive performance by their keeper to keep it 0 0 at half time was eclipse with a bold tactical move and a sublime performance across the 11 gave us a deserved 3pts.  Lambert just continues to impress as the best manager we have had since O''Neill.   How long can we keep hold of him?

Forster 9 My MOTM.  Kicking still concerns but so many crucial classy saves today;  confident handling,  good on crosses and positionally excellent,  the save after the ball came back of the post was outstanding,  and the best on the day when both keepers were excellent

Martin 7 Not great today, but still defended well in a first half when I cant recall forster having a save to make

Nelson 8 Solid first half with some wayward distribution, unlucky not to score in the first half with an effort cleared off the line;  simple a perfect barrier in the second.  Best we have seen from him

Doc 9 Exemplary performance;   so solid at the back,  looked to pass and break forward and a threat from set pieces

Drury 9 Offered width in the first half and played the midfielder superbly in the second defending when needed and linking particularly well with Wes in the scond half,  unlucky not to open the scoring when their keeper again stopped a superb close range header

Rusty 8 Started imperiously, then disappeared a little as brentford started to leave feet in but was again excellent in the second half

Smith 8 Worked tirelessly, best energy and performance for a long while

Lappin 9 Harshly booked,  but so industrious today - was everywhere and I have never seen him so pumped - thought he was the player most likely to follow Holt off for rashness

Martin 9 Dangerous first half and so prepared to shoot, and so rarely off target.  Sublime finish from what looked like an impossible angle.  The best finisher at the club.

Holt 6 Worked hard but had little impact.  Reacted to some provocation prior to the sending off and seemed to have the red mist up. To me it did look like a stamp.  Impetuous and unbecoming of him.

Hoolahan 9 We failed to get the ball to him enough in the first half but was so creative when he did.  In the second half he was a revelation.  His work rate was the highest I have ever seen it and he caused them so many problems.  I did feel he was taken off 5 mins too early,  and he was clearly disappointed too as he had their right flank in tatters.

Whitbread 8  Impressive with the ball at his feet and a good debut.  My only concern was that on 3 / 4 occassions he was too keen and tried to win the ball rather than holding his ground, he failed and they got behind him.  When 3 at the back you have to stay on your feet and remain a barrier, only committing when you are absolutely certain of winning the ball.  Have seen enough to look forward to his partnership with Doc - as he passes the ball far better than Nelson,  harsh on the latter but whats needed.

Johnson 9  They hit to post in the lull between Hoola going off for Oli.   It did halt out attacks for a couple of minutes.  But what dribbling - strength and pace and so direct.  And pleasingly unselfish as the assist today showed.  Much to be hopeful for and truly had an impact.

They all deserve 11 after that  performance. It''s a long time since I''ve seen a City side display that level of commitment and self belief.