Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Holt's Red

Definite red. We watched it on the monitors up where the journos sit at half time. He was airborn, two footed and studs showing. He''s been getting very niggly for a few matches now, he got away with a couple of kicks last week when the ref wasn''t watching.

I don''t think Holt tried to stamp on him, or he would have gotten injured, it was a bad stamp, and he should get a Red for it, but if you stand still and let yourself get a two-footed tackle into your ankle, well Holt would be missing more than 3 matches....

I thought, in all honesty, it was a clear red. He went over the top, and their guy was lucky to not have a broken leg.

A moment of madness.

If a Brentford player had of done it to Holt, we''d be hounding the ref if he didn''t give a red

Correct decision awful tackle, especially as the free had already been given. Why people clapped him off is beyond me. This was a massive game for us and he''s our leader on the pitch today he let himself and his team mates down today.

I also think the ref was okay today he got the big decision right and we  all wear yellow and green glasses don''t we?

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

Correct decision awful tackle, especially as the free KICK had already been given. Why people clapped him off is beyond me. This was a massive game for us and he''s our leader on the pitch today he let himself and his team mates down today.

I also think the ref was okay today he got the big decision right and we  all wear yellow and green glasses don''t we?

[/quote]

appart from adam drurys yellow [;)]

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

[/quote]From my bad viewpoint i would agree. But it is a shame its probably one of the few decisions the ref got right today.

[quote user="Henry"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

[/quote]

From my bad viewpoint i would agree. But it is a shame its probably one of the few decisions the ref got right today.
[/quote]

The diving full back didn''t fool the ref and neither did the last minute dive by their forward right at the end. he honestly wasn''t as bad as you all seem to think.

Thats an interesting point Drinkell because here lays the point of interest, I must confess sitting in the Barclay I did not really see what happened but will see tonight. However if you are correct and the freekick had already been awarded the ball would be deemed to be dead. My understanding is at that point you could be sent off for foul and abusive language or striking an opponent, but not for a foul. Possibly the referee ruled this as deliberately trying to cause serious injury. Again my understanding from Lamberts comments is we may well be appealing, my thoughts though if it was malicious when I see it again is dont appeal as if ruled against Holt he could face an additional 1 - 2 games ban.

I agree with a previous poster as well that Holt seems to have lost it a few times lately, partly in his defence with the total lack of protection given to good players in this league. After what I saw last week and this the only way to stop us is to attempt to kick us of the park. In the championship would the guy who pushed Lappin in the first half not have been sent off?

The likes of Holt must learn that that this is now likely to happen on a regular basis and must keep their cool. As a crowd when teams are kicking us we must put a lot of pressure on the referee and bay for blood.

I am in no way sticking up for Holt as when I see it again if it was totally malicous then I will feel he has let the club down, but hey onwards and upwards if we can win the three games he is out for then the title is ours and lets face it everyone Lambert has played so far has performed as well or better than the player that held the shirt

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]Well from what I saw Diaddoradwhateverhisnameis was about to put in a terrible challenge on holty and holt tried to avoid it by jumping over him but clipped him on the way which the ref thought was deliberate.

What do the rest of you think?
[/quote]

holt tried to avoid it?

he knew what he was doing and the red card was rightly shown - holt let the team down today!

[/quote]

Will need to watch it again tonight but I agree with you. Holt is Captain and on most occasions a mighty fine example he sets. Today, though, he let the red mist come down. Earlier in the game he did another studs up attempt at a challenge although that time he was someway off the opponent. I winced then and feared the worst as the game threatened to boil over in the first half.

Unfortunately Holt has been getting sidetracked into running tussles and skating on thin ice as far as officials are concerened for a few games now. He has just managed to keep it in check - until today. If you remember the Boxing Day game he had a running battle with that geezer with the mask on and I remember thinking that Lambert should be ''having a word''. Don''t get me wrong, we need someone with a physical presence and who can stand up to some bully boy tactics but it''s a damn fine line between that and getting recklessly involved - like today. Lambert must tell him that today was simply NOT acceptable.

Will be interesting to see how we cope without him - I seriously fear the Millwall away game now which was going to bew damn difficult anyway. Having said that the team spirit and sheer comittment today after the sending off was awesome and the win priceless. Can''t expect that degree of superhuman effort from first whistle though in next three games, it won''t happen. 

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Thats an interesting point Drinkell because here lays the point of interest, I must confess sitting in the Barclay I did not really see what happened but will see tonight. However if you are correct and the freekick had already been awarded the ball would be deemed to be dead. My understanding is at that point you could be sent off for foul and abusive language or striking an opponent, but not for a foul. Possibly the referee ruled this as deliberately trying to cause serious injury. Again my understanding from Lamberts comments is we may well be appealing, my thoughts though if it was malicious when I see it again is dont appeal as if ruled against Holt he could face an additional 1 - 2 games ban.

I agree with a previous poster as well that Holt seems to have lost it a few times lately, partly in his defence with the total lack of protection given to good players in this league. After what I saw last week and this the only way to stop us is to attempt to kick us of the park. In the championship would the guy who pushed Lappin in the first half not have been sent off?

The likes of Holt must learn that that this is now likely to happen on a regular basis and must keep their cool. As a crowd when teams are kicking us we must put a lot of pressure on the referee and bay for blood.

I am in no way sticking up for Holt as when I see it again if it was totally malicous then I will feel he has let the club down, but hey onwards and upwards if we can win the three games he is out for then the title is ours and lets face it everyone Lambert has played so far has performed as well or better than the player that held the shirt[/quote]I''d have thought you can earn a straight red whether the ball is dead or not.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Lambert is King"]Thats an interesting point Drinkell because here lays the point of interest, I must confess sitting in the Barclay I did not really see what happened but will see tonight. However if you are correct and the freekick had already been awarded the ball would be deemed to be dead. My understanding is at that point you could be sent off for foul and abusive language or striking an opponent, but not for a foul. Possibly the referee ruled this as deliberately trying to cause serious injury. Again my understanding from Lamberts comments is we may well be appealing, my thoughts though if it was malicious when I see it again is dont appeal as if ruled against Holt he could face an additional 1 - 2 games ban.

I am in no way sticking up for Holt as when I see it again if it was totally malicous then I will feel he has let the club down, but hey onwards and upwards if we can win the three games he is out for then the title is ours and lets face it everyone Lambert has played so far has performed as well or better than the player that held the shirt[/quote]I''d have thought you can earn a straight red whether the ball is dead or not.[/quote]You can, if you go into a player, two footed with studs - it''s always going to be a red card. Whether it''s on the ball, off the ball, in the tunnel, whatever. If the ref sees it, it''s a red.

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]Apparently it was that referee''s second game in the FL.[/quote]Not quite. This is his first year in the FL and he''s done a number of L2 games this season but only two L1 games - at Exeter and Walsall. So today was  easily the biggest match of his career so far in front of by far the biggest crowd.[url=http://www.refworld.com/referee/2309/1/steven-rushton]More info here.[/url]

After seeing it on tv I hope they show a better angle on the FL league show. Watch the players behind Holt especially Nelsons look of horror at the tackle. However all the players in front and to the side have the oppisite reaction saying that he should not have been sent off. Holt also appears to be saying he didnt catch him to the player. Would love to see the front angle. It seems we are considering an appeal but Nelsons look of horror suggests if there is a camera the other side hes got no chance of winning.

It just looked, bad. The lad stayed down clutching his shin and Holt went in with two feet in the air.

Whether it was a poor ''strikers tackle'' or a malicious attempt is a point of argument. I''d hope given the form he has been in and being a captain, Holt was going for the ball. He does seem to try and get his foot in between the opponent and the ball rather than go straight for the ball. This time it went horribly wrong.

I was suprised so many people stood up and applauded Holt when he walked off, that tackle didn''t deserve commendation. Does anyone else feel the same or should we applaud our captain through thick and thin?

Yes I think that definitely confirmed that this deserved the red card. You cannot go in two footed even if you win the ball, I don''t understand why people do?

As to why people clapped Holt off, I imagine they a) didn''t see the challenge clearly (closest person in the stands was probably 30+yards away), and b) we are talking about a guy who has given 100% every game this season and scored the goals to help us to where we are. So why the hell shouldn''t we applaud him even if he has made a mistake?

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]totally justified red card.

was a horrible challenge which you will see on the tele tonight and if it had been against us every one of us would have been screaming for a red
[/quote]

Totally agree.

It was a disgusting challenge, he should be fined at least a couple of weeks wages for that, Terrible.

Have watched it several times,and will say it probably looked worse than it was.If you can watch it again,look  at the two feet from the Brentford player which were studs showing before Holt arrived,then look at the player have a quick look at the ref to see what card he has brought out.I am not saying the ref got it wrong,but on another day there may have been a differant outcome.The other player was not hurt,and infact a free kick was awarded to us for a previous foul.My feelings are that the ref was a bit hasty and should have taken more time,again if you look the card was out very quick.

Just watched the Football League highlights.  Ref got it spot on IMHO.  Straight red for violent conduct = 3 game ban?  Time for Oli to step up to the plate...........

[quote user="keelan for england"]Was it worse than gallas,I dont think so.On another day he would have got away with it.[/quote]Rules aren''t relative.  Gallas should have been sent off as well, but that has nothing to do with Holt''s "tackle" on the Brentford player.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]Well from what I saw Diaddoradwhateverhisnameis was about to put in a terrible challenge on holty and holt tried to avoid it by jumping over him but clipped him on the way which the ref thought was deliberate.

What do the rest of you think?
[/quote]

My thoughts too and have re run the tape severel times even played it at  slow speed, I am not convinced the ref got it right,

The referee doesn''t have the opportunity of replaying the incident at slow speed.

I''m afraid there is no way this tackle can be defended. The tackle was dreadful and the punishment was correct.