Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Curo to Gillingham?

of course he won''t go, you are right he will get every penny because if he gets another contract his wages will be a lot lower and hence his lifestyle will change unless he has invested greatly his next contract and signing on fee will be minimal

thought the quote about this striker on more money than all of gills strikers was a good one

his last big contract was with us, ridiculous as it was, so yes take that money before looking for a new career

always remember adams defending him saying he was top scorer in the champs., he never could replace earnie, ched evans was a better forward, chris martin kept us up one season and leroy lita gave us a fighting chance last... cureton has not offered value for money but that hasn''t surprised me

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Well said wiz, if you loved a club and you were a player, the club was in debt, you were nowhere near the 1st team, and you were one of the highest earners you wouldnt keep leeching off the club would you, you would want whats best for the club.[/quote]Lol.At the end of the day the guy has to put bread on the table. Jamie Cureton will do whats best for HIM, just as he should.Sorry but staying here and earning 8 grand a week or going to some tinpot club to earn a fraction of that really is a no brainer.Oh and many, many footballers will kiss the badge and proclaim love when it suits them.

Yes, I woke up in a cynical mood this morning lol.[/quote]Oh I totally agree, he is entitled to do what is best for him. Shame though as while I dont rate him as a player I always thought he was honest enough to want to be actually playing rather than sitting on his arse.

I agree that he should do whats best for him and his family...... wouldnt we all???

Not his fault that someone offered him a great contract and Im sure that all of us would snap our employers hands off for such a good deal.

Dont think that this entitles people to say that he should leave if he loves the club...... I know Jamie and I agree he is not going to get into the first team but how quick a lot of people forget his contributions over the years....... I know he loves this club of ours but he also has responsibilities to his family etc

I for one say thankyou to him for all his efforts over the years and wish him all the best for the future!

Green hair....scoring at Portaloo rd....legend!

[quote user="Southwestcanary"]

I agree that he should do whats best for him and his family...... wouldnt we all???

Not his fault that someone offered him a great contract and Im sure that all of us would snap our employers hands off for such a good deal.

Dont think that this entitles people to say that he should leave if he loves the club...... I know Jamie and I agree he is not going to get into the first team but how quick a lot of people forget his contributions over the years....... I know he loves this club of ours but he also has responsibilities to his family etc

I for one say thankyou to him for all his efforts over the years and wish him all the best for the future!

[/quote]I''m sure its of great comfort to him that he will be remembered for having green hair more than for his prolific goal tally lol.Whilst I am able to accept that he is a lovely bloke, we''re not a charity.

No we are a business that has to honour contracts.... simple as....

I know he loves Norwich (hence the green hair comment) and he wouldn''t be happier than if he was banging goals in for us....... he hit a bad spell but over his career he is a proven goalscorer for every club he played at.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Southwestcanary"]

[/quote]

I''m sure its of great comfort to him that he will be remembered for having green hair more than for his prolific goal tally lol.

Whilst I am able to accept that he is a lovely bloke, we''re not a charity.
[/quote]

No but we are a trading plc compelled to abide by the law of contract and to meet our obligations to our employees.   Just because we made a bad deal does not entitle us to renege.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Southwestcanary"]

[/quote]I''m sure its of great comfort to him that he will be remembered for having green hair more than for his prolific goal tally lol.Whilst I am able to accept that he is a lovely bloke, we''re not a charity.[/quote]

No but we are a trading plc compelled to abide by the law of contract and to meet our obligations to our employees.   Just because we made a bad deal does not entitle us to renege.

[/quote]I never suggested that we should!

If I was Jamie I''d sit tight for the last 5 months of my contract, stay in the home where I''m happy and then look around for a club in the summer.

He''s 35 in August so at the end of his career so these could be the last few big pay checks that he gets.

Whether he loves the club or not is irelevant, its not his fault we''re £23m in debt, thats down to our board.

[quote user="cityangel"]

If I was Jamie I''d sit tight for the last 5 months of my contract, stay in the home where I''m happy and then look around for a club in the summer.

He''s 35 in August so at the end of his career so these could be the last few big pay checks that he gets.

Whether he loves the club or not is irelevant, its not his fault we''re £23m in debt, thats down to our board.

[/quote]

Quite right and if I were in his shoes i''d do the same

Talking of Ched Evans, am surprised he is having a tough time of it at Sheffield United at the moment.

In and mostly out of the team and not amongst the goals as you would expect.

I do wonder if Blackwell''s "up and at ''em" style is not particularly to his liking-heres hoping we go up and take him off them for a song in the Summer!

Good luck to him he will need it.... not sure how the Gillingham players will take him pulling up to the training ground in his Bentley!!!Its actually scary how a player like Cureton has been allowed to be paid so much money.... Sooner he goes the better!!! 

I think he might be tempted by a loan deal, but agree that if I were him I''d sit it out until the summer. He doesn''t have anything more to prove in League 1, the Gillingham manager''s reaction makes it clear that he''s got a good reputation at this level so good for him.

Whether he is fond of the club or not is irrelivant. He isn''t a fan, it''s his employer. I''m fond of who I work for and if they offered me a really good deal I''d take it and hold onto it for as long as I could. Because I''d set my life up around that contract. Mortgage, car payments lifestyle everything. I wouldn''t give it all up to go and work somewhere half as nice for half the cash just because I like my current employers.Who knows what happens in the background anyway. He could be still in Lamberts plans somewhere.Unlikely, but we''ll never know for sure. No matter what anyone says.

He isn''t in Lambert''s plans. Me and a friend saw him in the city a few weeks back (on a matchday) and his words were that he was expecting to leave in January. Unless something has changed I expect he will. This would imply he has been told to find another club.

The feeling I got was that he still wants to play football, if anything I think thats a testament to his character that he isn''t just going to sit back and get paid but instead he appreciates his career is nearly up and wants to carry on.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]Great so your advocating someone just sitting around doing nothing for a contract, a big fan of Winston Bogarde were you?By the way, I know he isn''t doing nothing, but if he''s not in Lambert''s plans he should be actively looking around for a new club, not just sitting pretty getting his money week in week out.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Good luck to him he will need it.... not sure how the Gillingham players will take him pulling up to the training ground in his Bentley!!!Its actually scary how a player like Cureton has been allowed to be paid so much money.... Sooner he goes the better!!! [/quote]Why is it scary ?When we signed Cureton he had just won the Golden Boot as the Championship''s leading scorer. Perhaps the £800,000 or so that we paid Colchester was a little over the top but he was a consistent goalscorer. Goalscorers cost money and players who move for that kind of money aren''t going to sign a contract paying pennies.It hasn''t worked out for Cureton - and he''s had more than enough chances to prove his critics wrong - but I seem to remember there weren''t too many complaining when he re-signed.Perhaps that is the problem. He re-signed. It''s nearly always a fatal mistake to go back to an old club, as Paul McVeigh, and, to a lesser extent Daryl Russell have found since they returned to Carrow Road

[quote user="ncfcstar"]

Great so your advocating someone just sitting around doing nothing for a contract, a big fan of Winston Bogarde were you?

By the way, I know he isn''t doing nothing, but if he''s not in Lambert''s plans he should be actively looking around for a new club, not just sitting pretty getting his money week in week out.
[/quote]

So if you were in a job with a contract due to expire in June and they were paying you about £5000 pw would you leave there, leave your comfortable home in Norfolk and go and work for another firm in Kent, staying in a hotel for a few months without your partner at a third of the salary?

No of course you won''t!!

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Great so your advocating someone just sitting around doing nothing for a contract, a big fan of Winston Bogarde were you?By the way, I know he isn''t doing nothing, but if he''s not in Lambert''s plans he should be actively looking around for a new club, not just sitting pretty getting his money week in week out.[/quote]

So if you were in a job with a contract due to expire in June and they were paying you about £5000 pw would you leave there, leave your comfortable home in Norfolk and go and work for another firm in Kent, staying in a hotel for a few months without your partner at a third of the salary?

[/quote]Exactly! It does bug me when fans get all high and mighty about players "just picking up their wages". Ultimately it is the clubs fault for giving him that contract and there is no reason he shouldn''t wait it out.The only real reason he might move is if he is offered a two year deal which would end up earning him more than he remaining 5 months. At 34/5 Jamie must be considering retirement especially as he hasn''t performed consistently for the last 18 months or so. He was given his chance this season when Lambert first came here and he couldn''t hold onto his place in the team. It''s a little ironic as Lambert said he was looking into bringing him to Colchester in the close season, but wages were a stumbling block.I really hope he can go out on loan somewhere with Norwich and the other club splitting the wages and bang in a few goals and end his career on a high rather than in our reserve team (although with Oli, Cody and Daley even that place is under threat). Just shows how incompetent the management was when he signed. Cureton was angling for a move to Norwich and must of been over the moon when the offer we gave him turned up, sure he would of been willing to have reduced terms for a chance to finish what he started at Norwich.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]

Great so your advocating someone just sitting around doing nothing for a contract, a big fan of Winston Bogarde were you?

By the way, I know he isn''t doing nothing, but if he''s not in Lambert''s plans he should be actively looking around for a new club, not just sitting pretty getting his money week in week out.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly! It does bug me when fans get all high and mighty about players "just picking up their wages". Ultimately it is the clubs fault for giving him that contract and there is no reason he shouldn''t wait it out.

The only real reason he might move is if he is offered a two year deal which would end up earning him more than he remaining 5 months. At 34/5 Jamie must be considering retirement especially as he hasn''t performed consistently for the last 18 months or so. He was given his chance this season when Lambert first came here and he couldn''t hold onto his place in the team. It''s a little ironic as Lambert said he was looking into bringing him to Colchester in the close season, but wages were a stumbling block.

I really hope he can go out on loan somewhere with Norwich and the other club splitting the wages and bang in a few goals and end his career on a high rather than in our reserve team (although with Oli, Cody and Daley even that place is under threat).

Just shows how incompetent the management was when he signed. Cureton was angling for a move to Norwich and must of been over the moon when the offer we gave him turned up, sure he would of been willing to have reduced terms for a chance to finish what he started at Norwich.
[/quote]

So to sum it up then,

He''s almost 35, can''t get on the bench in a 3rd division side, and still earns £5.000 a week to sit on his rear end, why the hell would he want to leave, to get less money and have to work for it, He has no need to work again, if he does then thats his fault, he''s been on high earnings for a long time