Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Why Have City Fans Become So Arrogant?

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="morty"]Since you never answered my posts in the other thread I expect you to carry on in the same vein in this one.

[/quote]

No offence Morty but its difficult for anyone to reply to all your posts as you''re on here all day and every night posting.

[/quote]Corr CA, an active forum poster? Damn him, Damn him to hell....[:S][/quote]

Was just trying to explain to him why some of his posts aren''t replied to, that was all.

[/quote]I am not someone who is going to cry because someone doesn''t reply to a post. I had made a perfectly valid point to the poster in another thread a few minutes earlier that he chose not to reply to, hence my comment.[:)]

This forum has a history of thinking we''re a ''big club''.

Where have you been?

[quote user="Mook"]Couldn''t agree more, Arthur. A Superiority complex is about the last thing we need at this low point in our history.

It''s funny, in our "Glory Years" (when we actually had reason to be arrogant) we were never, ever like this. Perhaps it''s just a poor reflection on the modern football fan, or maybe people have forgotten what endeared Norwich to the rest of the England as everyone''s "second" team back in the day.
[/quote]

But in our "Glory Years" there weren''t internet forums for fans to behave in such an arrogant manner. So we are not comparing like for like. Folk can be what they want to be on here and it doesn''t neccessarily reflect the attitude of the "modern football fan". Things get posted on here that you don''t actually hear from fans in the ground or in the pub on match days. And there seems to be a need for fans who were old enough to remember era''s gone by to constantly criticise "Modern Day Fans". It''s my opinion that the "Modern Day Fans" are the equal of fans from way back when.

Nutty im not saying any fan no matter how long they have followed the club has a more important opinion, but read through the message board lately and see the arrogance. I was just comparing it to how we used to be percieved, we were well liked wherever we went and succesfull to boot, people cant seem to get this through there heads and seem to think im the one with a problem, yet this just illistrates the arrogance of this era.

"I am not someone who is going to cry because someone doesn''t reply to a post." Morty

So please explain what you did earlier this afternoon....seemed to me like you came crying over asking why i hadnt replied to your post........your embarrasing yourself sonshine.

Tell you what, lets all just agree with Arthur that things were better back in the days of rickets and rationing.Don''t bother putting your own point of view across as we''re all just keyboard warriors and thugs.Oh and he''ll call you a cock too.[:)] 

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]So do you think at 72 ive spent all these years watching Norwich[/quote] No, nor do most on here I suspect. By the way I thought you had gone because we were to intelligent for you (your words).

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]"I am not someone who is going to cry because someone doesn''t reply to a post." Morty

So please explain what you did earlier this afternoon....seemed to me like you came crying over asking why i hadnt replied to your post........your embarrasing yourself sonshine.[/quote]No, I put a counter point to you, that is how these things work, its called debate. And realising you didn''t have a smart answer to it, you chose to ignore it.[:)]

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[quote user="Mook"]Couldn''t agree more, Arthur. A Superiority complex is about the last thing we need at this low point in our history.

It''s funny, in our "Glory Years" (when we actually had reason to be arrogant) we were never, ever like this. Perhaps it''s just a poor reflection on the modern football fan, or maybe people have forgotten what endeared Norwich to the rest of the England as everyone''s "second" team back in the day.
[/quote]

Heaven forbid..... but this is exactly how I see it too......

(Normal Service will be resumed etc. etc.)

[/quote]

I totally agree with you boys.

Arthur, I think your posts on this thread have been quite accurate and I''ve been a bit surprised by some of the replies, but I think they missed your point. Confidence is excellent but arrogance is dispicable, there is a massive difference between the two and is very apparant on some other threads. Sir_stiffy_cutt is right about being a big club in this league, but only this league. We have never been a big club, and to be one I believe you need to have at least a regular attendance of 30,000 and a few proper trophies in the cupboard.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Nutty im not saying any fan no matter how long they have followed the club has a more important opinion, but read through the message board lately and see the arrogance. I was just comparing it to how we used to be percieved, we were well liked wherever we went and succesfull to boot, people cant seem to get this through there heads and seem to think im the one with a problem, yet this just illistrates the arrogance of this era.[/quote]

I wasn''t replying to what you said Arthur, I was replying to Mook. But you have just made my point for me. It''s a message board arrogance and there weren''t message boards back in the day. The Norwich City Football Club and it''s fans are still liked and respected in the same way they used to be.

Your very fair points illustrate the arrogance shown on message boards. But you can''t compare that to fans from years gone by.

Oh and the irony that Arthur saw fit to call me a cock earlier, despite branding us keyboard warriors isn''t lost.[:)]

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]

Heaven forbid..... but this is exactly how I see it too......

(Normal Service will be resumed etc. etc.)

[/quote]

I totally agree with you boys.

Arthur, I think your posts on this thread have been quite accurate and I''ve been a bit surprised by some of the replies, but I think they missed your point. Confidence is excellent but arrogance is dispicable, there is a massive difference between the two and is very apparant on some other threads. Sir_stiffy_cutt is right about being a big club in this league, but only this league. We have never been a big club, and to be one I believe you need to have at least a regular attendance of 30,000 and a few proper trophies in the cupboard.

[/quote] Agreed, And this is where the delusion and arrogance seems to come from. We get crowds of 25,000 and are a big team in this league, then you read comments along the lines of  #### off back to your tinpot club and your shed of a ground ect ect. There is just no need for it, if you have that attitude you  may aswell be a plastic manc.

Question for you Arthur.......Do you feel this arrogance when you go into your local pub,shop or such place and discuss all things Norwich City?Do you feel it at Carrow Road on a matchday or at an away game maybe?

I certainly do not.All i see is happy,smiley faces on people who are lapping up every moment of our current success.

I think you have fallen under the unfluence of the internet which is after all used by a very small percentage of our fanbase.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]You strike me as the sort of fans who wind up the opposition fans for 90 minutes, giving it "the big un" as some might say from the safety of your seat, then after the game if it kicks off you are quick to judge those involved as hooligans and see no wrong doing on your behalf., but those involved are hooligans and scum of the earth. Most of you are nothing more than internet warriors hiding behind a keypad. My name is here for all to see and if you wish to discuss further i will be in The Coachmakers on St Stephens from 7pm if you wish to have an adult discussion....I very much doubt anyone will come, to busy making empty threats and abuse from the safety of mummy and daddys computer.[/quote]

TOP POST!

lets go back to being nice little norwich shall we? nothing to say and one down to the football world.

Or we could celebrate our current success in a minor league and confidently answer our critics. respect but no deference please.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Question for you Arthur.......Do you feel this arrogance when you go into your local pub,shop or such place and discuss all things Norwich City?Do you feel it at Carrow Road on a matchday or at an away game maybe?

I certainly do not.All i see is happy,smiley faces on people who are lapping up every moment of our current success.

I think you have fallen under the unfluence of the internet which is after all used by a very small percentage of our fanbase.

[/quote]

Good question, which I would also like to answer - I don''t sense it generally, I have noticed it by a very small minority at games, and a very good observation about the internet. I think Arthur was referring to the arrogance on here though.

Oh the irony of Morty going on and on and on and on and on.....about me calling him a cock...seems to be forgeting the fact that he called me a pedant to gain that reply....oh the irony.

Also ive noticed that among the people who have agreed with me, nobody has questioned them...perhaps they find it easier to aim it at me, rather than very good points brought up by others, perhaps because you simply cant argue against those supporting me replys perhaps...or just another AW witchunt would be my guess.

Tilly, I havent encountered any arrogance at my business as those that work for me are glory hunters...one even changing his team to Man City in the close season if you can believe that...and hes 37 for gods sake.

In the pub, no, my local is The Coachmakers, which is 90% a gunner pub.

At matches...yes, slowly, but its there, especially at the Exeter game at half time in the bar.

On message boards....without a doubt.

For once I agree with Arthur.There definitely seems to be an arrogance creeping in regarding our attitude to smaller clubs in this League. Do we really want to lumped in with Leeds fans when up for discussion by other clubs ? I certainly don''t.The truth is, like Leeds, we''re a Third Division club who MAY get promoted to the Championship this year. We look pretty much certain to be in the top six but should we miss out on automatic promotion there''s a good chance we could miss out. Our record in knock-out competitions is shocking but should we end up in the Play-Offs I hope we haven''t finished third in the League as the club that does very often finds themselves in the same division the following season.Let''s just get promoted before we start programming the Championship grounds into our sat-navs.....

The thing that really annoys me with City fans this season is how they can dish out stuff but not take it back,Charlton at home, Barclay Block E gobbing off at Jonjo Shelvey, he then holds up his fingers in a 1-0 gesture, City fans get outraged saying it''s unproffesional etc etc. Fast forward a few months, Colchester away, "Lambert, whats the score? lambert Lambert whats the score?" Paul obliges by holding up 4 fingers... City fans revell in the moment.

Now I loved PL''s behaviour during that game, but those fans that were wanting him to do that were probably the same ones flipping out because of Jonjo Shevly''s behaviour.

Nice to see people agree with me but the "arrogant" fans reply on this thread only aim there replys to me.......I know im not great when it comes to fluent debate...I think these posters acknolwlege that...and see me as eaasy pickings rather than question the many others who agree with me.....bit sad...bit arrorangt..bit too true.

[quote user="Lambo"]The thing that really annoys me with City fans this season is how they can dish out stuff but not take it back,Charlton at home, Barclay Block E gobbing off at Jonjo Shelvey, he then holds up his fingers in a 1-0 gesture, City fans get outraged saying it''s unproffesional etc etc. Fast forward a few months, Colchester away, "Lambert, whats the score? lambert Lambert whats the score?" Paul obliges by holding up 4 fingers... City fans revell in the moment.

Now I loved PL''s behaviour during that game, but those fans that were wanting him to do that were probably the same ones flipping out because of Jonjo Shevly''s behaviour.[/quote]

no point taking the moral high ground! this is football and why we love it! we are top 2 and yes we are a big, for flips sake we have 25000 every week for league 1!!! so if want to shot about it i will! its been to long in coming and if we fall ill shut up!

Lambo

Same fans who give opposition fans stick, yet if they come face to face with them after the game they go crying to the nearest police officer, yet they were winding someone up for around 90 minutes.

I know if someone was winding me up face to face I wouldnt last 90 minutes before clocking them no matter what my age.

As I said Arthur, I agree with your comments if they were about fans on a message board but not the comments about "Modern Day Fans" in general.

[quote user="Lambo"]The thing that really annoys me with City fans this season is how they can dish out stuff but not take it back,Charlton at home, Barclay Block E gobbing off at Jonjo Shelvey, he then holds up his fingers in a 1-0 gesture, City fans get outraged saying it''s unproffesional etc etc. Fast forward a few months, Colchester away, "Lambert, whats the score? lambert Lambert whats the score?" Paul obliges by holding up 4 fingers... City fans revell in the moment. Now I loved PL''s behaviour during that game, but those fans that were wanting him to do that were probably the same ones flipping out because of Jonjo Shevly''s behaviour.[/quote]

And this certainly is not new to this season. This has been the case for as long as I can remember and is the same with all fans at all clubs.

Good point but not so sure its arrogance but extreme relief at having our club back and being given a reason to believe we actually have a future. We have just put up with four years of total mismanagement so might be forgiven for crowing slightly at the fact we have an excellent board (apart from two), a superb manager and a talented team. Lets all enjoy the ride but in doing so show due respect to all other clubs (again, apart from two!!).

Sir_Stiffy_Cutt, yeah you are right, ive never been to a game in my life...perhaps you would like to meet me for a quick pint in the coachmakers after 7pm and i will bring you my ticket collection and a few photos dating back from this season to when I was a young un, ranging from pre season tours in The USA to Carlisle and so on....or perhaps you wont.....perhaps you will join the majority and become an internet warrrior???