Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

Wasn't yesterdays pitch.........

[quote user="Shack Attack"]....the sort which was supposed to finally show up our (cracked) diamond system and foil our fancy, flowing football?

[;)]
[/quote]

I thought it was being used to grow rice

[quote user="Shack Attack"]....the sort which was supposed to finally show up our (cracked) diamond system and foil our fancy, flowing football?

[;)]
[/quote]

You got me there Shack because I thought it would. But to be fair the whole pitch was a bog yesterday not just the middle.

As I posted elsewhere I think the decisions we made, especially the back five, stopped the pitch being a leveller.

The way the ball was stopping, it must haver been borderline ''playable''. Mind you with 10k fans outside and a volatile atmosphere I don''t think a late ''P-P'' was an option. Agree with the above- how many times did Col U play passes across their defence that held-up and Holty and co intercepted? Not that I''m complaining[:)]   

Conveniently far more suited to Colchesters hoofball approach to the game despite all the pre-match noise about their surface water removal equipment that they hire out to Essex CCC?BTW top answer Pete, growing rice, loved it!!

The pitch definitely suited Colchester style more than us, which is why it was such an impressive performance and result. It shows we are up for the fight as well as simply outpassing the opposition, very very positive signs for the rest of the season.

The pitch was same for both sides, and we done really well considering it didn''t suit our style of play. We actually used it to our advantage several times, like when Oli nicked the ball off the Col Who defender to score or the numerous occasions when Holt (or, indeed Hoolahan) held the ball up, when it got stuck in the mud, and tricked the defender.

When I got in the ground I first thought that the pitch looked reasonably good, but as soon as the game started and the water was splashing up with the ball holding up in the mud I did wonder if it was going to be abandoned for a while. Thankfully it never got to the stage where the ball wouldn''t move at all - would not have wanted a situation like the Plymouth-Barnsley game earlier in the season...

[quote user="Buckethead"]Conveniently far more suited to Colchesters hoofball approach to the game despite all the pre-match noise about their surface water removal equipment that they hire out to Essex CCC?

BTW top answer Pete, growing rice, loved it!!
[/quote]

I thought somebody had posted that they water the pitch before games.

Now with the rainfall you wouldn''t need to water the pitch would you?

Unless of course you wanted to make it awkward for the away team who play football rather than HOOF ball.

The Football League / F.A. should investigate that Colchester pitch and its maintenance.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[;)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ploughing the paddy fields

The ''Colchester Head Groundsman'' using state of the art turf management equipment, prepares the lush and pristine stadium playing surface - for the impending top of the league clash against Norwich City.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[;)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ploughing the paddy fields

The ''Colchester Head Groundsman'' using state of the art turf management equipment, prepares the lush and pristine stadium playing surface - for the impending top of the league clash against Norwich City.....

[/quote]

LOl!  Classic Mello Yello.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[;)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol!! That patch top right would have been better to play on that their pitch for a start!

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Why?[/quote]

Re: The Diamond - It''s got problems.

Reply Quote

Shyster wrote:

Mister Chops wrote:

nutty nigel wrote:

Who would be up for losing Wesley if it meant bringing in a couple of pacey wide men for the same money?

It depends.  To be honest, pacey is not enough.  We''ve had "pacey" wingers such as Croft who was half-decent on occasions, and Daley who doesn''t seem to know what he''s doing other than to run as fast as he can and try to keep the ball under control.

The wingers we would need also have to be committed, hard working, able to deliver a good cross and able to score the odd goal when the chance arises from the other wing. 

And two of those will cost much more than one Wes Hoolahan.  And Wes Hoolahan will create moments of brilliance - at this level - that defenders simply won''t read.

State the bleedin'' obvious why don''t you, Mister Chops! Stick out tongue [:P]

When the pitches turn to sh*t this winter and opposing players double up on Hoolahan we will need pace and delivery from the wings.

The likes of Wycombe''s young Matt Phillips and Adomah, who amazingly is still at Barnet, are players I''d love to see Lambert bring in.

I reckon we''d need something in the region of a million & a quarter for the pair of ''em.

The sales of Hoolahan & Russell would surely break the back of that sum.

Surely they aren''t going to get any worse than yesterday. I''d like to think that plan A with basically the same players is going to finish higher than mid table, especially as we do now have options and without having to sell Hoolahan and Russell.

The worst pitch a competitive Norwich fixture has been played on in the last 30 probably?

Nearest I remember to what we saw at ColWHO was the friendly at Yarmouth a few years back when we had a flash flood half way through the game!

[quote user="Beauseant"]Strange that Shyster hasn''t joined this thread.........[/quote]I can only think that he must be off in Spain on a consultancy for one of their top clubs [:D]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]....the sort which was supposed to finally show up our (cracked) diamond system and foil our fancy, flowing football?[;)][/quote]

Yep, hands up here, Shack, I don''t mind being proven wrong and thus far that is the case.I especially don''t mind being proven wrong when it means watching/having a Norwich side back that plays beautiful football once again.And long may it continue.  [img]http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shack Attack"]....the sort which was supposed to finally show up our (cracked) diamond system and foil our fancy, flowing football?

[;)]
[/quote]

Yep, hands up here, Shack, I don''t mind being proven wrong and thus far that is the case.

I especially don''t mind being proven wrong when it means watching/having a Norwich side back that plays beautiful football once again.

And long may it continue.  [img]http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Top man Shyster

[quote] i thought somebody had posted that they water the pitch before games.

Unless of course you wanted to make it awkward for the away team who play football rather than HOOF ball.

The Football League / F.A. should investigate that Colchester pitch and its maintenance.[/quote]

i remember seeing that. its complete fabrication. the drainage in the area isnt good at all, and thats why the pitch was soggy (plus the rain and snow melt earlier in the week).

why would we want to risk the state of the pitch for months to come by deliberately making it bad for one game?

[quote user="Shyster"]And long may it continue.  [img]http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img][/quote]Don''t worry mate, we WILL win this division. Of that I am convinced.When''s the last time we played such good football?

[quote user="eddy melito"][quote] i thought somebody had posted that they water the pitch before games.

The Football League / F.A. should investigate that Colchester pitch and its maintenance.[/quote]

i remember seeing that. its complete fabrication. the drainage in the area isnt good at all, and thats why the pitch was soggy (plus the rain and snow melt earlier in the week).

why would we want to risk the state of the pitch for months to come by deliberately making it bad for one game?

[/quote]

Sorry, but nothing Cowling does would ever convince me this was never in his mind, mess the pitch up send them home broken, but if you build a big house you build drainage to meet its needs,how do other clubs manage, just shows how tinpot you are. 

[quote user="Shack Attack"]....the sort which was supposed to finally show up our (cracked) diamond system and foil our fancy, flowing football?[;)][/quote]

Well, it certainly showed tonight, Shack, what with their wingers and all..Walsall negated our diamond this evening and were 1-0 up with 14 minutes remaining.We went 4-4-2 and wound up victors.I rest my case.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shack Attack"]....the sort which was supposed to finally show up our (cracked) diamond system and foil our fancy, flowing football?[;)][/quote]

Well, it certainly showed tonight, Shack, what with their wingers and all..Walsall negated our diamond this evening and were 1-0 up with 14 minutes remaining.We went 4-4-2 and wound up victors.I rest my case.[/quote]

Good afternoon, Shack.

Shyster, we didn''t change to an orthadox 442 last night. I don''t know what you tactical geniuses would have called it. At times it was 433 and even 424! McNamee came on and played on the left. Hoolahan was all over the pitch in attacking areas with Martin and Cody up front. We just went for it [:)][Y]

[quote user="Shyster"]

Good afternoon, Shack.
[/quote]

Good afternoon Shyster.

Well according to Nutty it wasn''t a 4-4-2 or a diamond and he was there. So I guess we''re both wrong [:O]

Don''t forget to leave your pick on the Free Bet when the thread goes up later. I''d hate to think that your appearance last week was purely an attempt to wind me up [;)]