Sign in to follow this  
bertie

Colchester Sat.

Assuming and hoping that the game is going ahead on Saturday, does any one know where the best place for Norwich fans to have a few beers before the game is? Looked at the guide to away grounds and there is not really a pub near to the ground that will "welcome" away fans, so where will everyone be heading for a pre match beer? I am heading in on an early train and it would be good to have a few beers in the company of some other Norwich fans!

The Norfolk is supposed to be close to the Train Station and open to away fans.  Although not sure how many pubs will be allowed to open given the ridiculous build up to this match!

The Norfolk is close to the train station. The other problem is, like supporters will see is their new ground is no where near anything! Could be a couple of pubs on the busines park, The Rovers Tye? Balkerne Gate on Ardliegh Interchange? These probably nearest the ground

Is the Norfolk within walking distance from the station then?? Would think we will head there then when we get off the train!

[quote user="bertie"]Is the Norfolk within walking distance from the station then?? Would think we will head there then when we get off the train!
[/quote]

I think they run free shuttle buses from the train station to the ground and back (about two miles)???

1 minute''s walk.Out the station, under the train bridge across the roundabout and it''s on your right.Away fan pub before the game, not after (as Leeds apparently found out after charging in there for trouble after their game)This may of course change depending on plod BUT it has been for away fans every game so far

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="bertie"]Is the Norfolk within walking distance from the station then?? Would think we will head there then when we get off the train![/quote]

I think they run free shuttle buses from the train station to the ground and back (about two miles)???

[/quote]£1 return per person this season. The buses are behind the Big Yellow Storage place. Usually mixed buses but Leeds and Southend had some allocated to them. Worth the £1 although there is sometimes a delay getting away after the game.

Is it possible to park cars in any streets near to the ground? The web-site suggests buy a car permit in the Club car park (limited number) or park in the Town Centre and get on a bus.

Free parking near the ground is non existent. Its all residents only and the parking inspectors are vigilent on match days.You can pay for a car park pass at the ground but it''ll take you ages to get out.If you''re driving from Norfolk I suggest coming off at the A12 Ardleigh junction and turn right at the roundabout as if you''re going back onto the A12. Go down the ramp and take the 1st left and this takes you into a Business Park. I think you can park there either free or for a few quid and its about 10-15 min walk to the ground.Alternative is to park at Colchester North station and get the shuttle bus to the ground. If you get there early you can go for a few beers in the Norfolk or Albert or one of the other pubs on North Station Rd.Personally, I would take the train and save the parking hassle.

Lots of free parking on the business park.(on the roads) 10-15 minutes walk

Some places on the road to the ground charge £5 for parking.

Early birds can park at a few spots along the road but not many as it''s a freeway.

Or if you''re very early - Park in town and go to The Fat Cat on Butt Rd. The landlord is from Norwich and the beer is superb (he''s related to Colin Keatley of Fat Cat Norwich)