Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Do we have too many defenders now?

While i accept that we needed Martin R and extra cover at CB, now they are permanent, when Jens and Micky S are back we''re going to have a couple of defenders at least who hardly get a game and are going to want to move on.

We can''t afford to keep players on the books just for the rare occassions where we have multiple defensive injuries. It would be nice, but i think 3 CBs 2 RBs (MS, RM) who can both cover at CB and 2LB (AD, RW) with a LM (SL) who can cover at LB is as much as we can expect. Plus we have the youngsters like Francombe and Stephens.

All of which means we could lose a CB and a RB off the wage bill, and i expect we will do in the summer. Who''s it going to be? Otsemobor and Nelson? Nelson is presumably signed up for longer than the Doc, who you would imagine is a bigger earner. I saw ''Doc to Plymouth'' rumour. Well as he has been playing, he could be the easiest option if we need to let a CB go. But Nelson would probably be a more ''popular'' choice!

Doc''s contract is up in the summer, if the club feels it''s unable to offload Nelson in the summer I''d imagine they''d let Doherty go now/on a free in the summer, then sign another centre back to compete with Whitbread and Askou, if we''re in the championship that is. Ideally though, you''d want rid of Nelson, extend Doherty''s contract and keep him as back up then bring in a young centre back. I prefer having 4 centre backs to 3.

If we keep Semmy, we could lose a centre back without replacing them because we''d have 3 right backs in Spillane, Martin and Semmy, and Spillane could be 3rd/4th choice centre back. If we only had Spillane and Martin at RB we''d need 4 centre backs imo.

At the moment we have:

Whiggins/Drury

Askou/Nelson/Whitbread/Doherty/Spillane

Spillane/Martin/Semmy

I''d say that was perfect tbh, especially if nelson''s on low wages. If Spillane comes back good he''ll earn a new contract on much higher wages which may mean we need to reconsider our options, it''s not so much numbers but cost, at the moment I''d estimate (completely from the top of my head) that back 9 costs us about 35k a week, which isn''t too bad really. I''d prefer it if we had another good youth in there, hopefully Francombe will become good enough to replace Semmy, that''d shave a good 5k off that wage total.

It''s all a bit lopsided really a1 with only Drury, Wiggins and Whitbread being natural left-sided players. Askou has proved he can play leftsided so those four are assured for me. Realistically it''s Otemebor or the Doc to go if we want to save on wages. So Semmy fopr me because he frustrates me more than any other player ever!!! I guess you''d choose Ginger Pele [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s all a bit lopsided really a1 with only Drury, Wiggins and Whitbread being natural left-sided players. Askou has proved he can play leftsided so those four are assured for me. Realistically it''s Otemebor or the Doc to go if we want to save on wages. So Semmy fopr me because he frustrates me more than any other player ever!!! I guess you''d choose Ginger Pele [;)]

[/quote]

But think of all the penalties we''d save Nutty[:P]

I wouldn''t mind getting rid of both of them to be honest. Doherty must earn a lot more than any other centre back here, and whilst he''s been valuable this season if we can replace him for less money we should, especially as he''ll soon be the wrong side of 30. No point keeping Nelson around next season if we go up either, he''ll be awful in the Championship. Semmy gets too hard a time on here but definitely doesn''t justify his (I guess) 6ish K a week. I don''t now how much Semy and Doherty earn but 15k a week is probably about right between them isn''t it?

No, we need at least two players for each position, to cover for injury, suspension  and loss of form,  and also to permit different permutations, e.g. wing-backs or a 3-5-1 shape like Exeter, etc.It is arguable how many of the defenders would be up to Championship level, when we are promoted., so we need just about all of them for the rest of the season, even if some become surplus thereafter.

No... sign another one Lambo!!!

One more in and we can lose Nelson and Ostomebor... two more in and we can add the Doc to that list... brilliant!!! [Y]

Would still quite like to see Gill sent back to Exeter for Seaborne myself.

What did you think of Seaborne''s display on Saturday Nutty???

What about Dario Dumic and Danny Kelly. They are young pros come thro the youth system - isn''t Kelly irish international in that position for under 19 and Dario also an international. Shouldn''t they be given a chance rather than sign from somewhere else.