Sign in to follow this  
Norma Stick

Hoolahan

Reported that Middlesborough have made Hoolahan #1 target in the January window.

Now I know the club are massively in debt but keeping Hoolahan is key to achieving automatic promotion.  The guy is class in this league.

Its a horrible balancing act that I hate.At the end of the day we are driven by money. People will demand loyalty from players but if you are working for Firm A and Firm B approach you and offer you 10 grand a year more, a company car, BUPA and possability of a promotion you would be stupid not to take it.Its all down to how happy you are in your current position and no one knows that other than Mr Hoolahan himself, and obviously his agent.Its best not to try and think about it lol.

It annoys me that this rumour keeps popping up. I personally can''t see him going anywhere, I think he knows he is on to a good thing here and I hope he would rather be the star man in our team than not a guaranteed starter at Middlesborough.

[quote user="eagle"]It annoys me that this rumour keeps popping up. I personally can''t see him going anywhere, I think he knows he is on to a good thing here and I hope he would rather be the star man in our team than not a guaranteed starter at Middlesborough.[/quote]Let''s be honest, I doubt Middlesbrough are going anywhere this season, so it''s possible we will be playing against them next season anyway. Let''s hope the board stay strong and that Hoolahan isn''t want away.

[quote user="eagle"]It annoys me that this rumour keeps popping up. I personally can''t see him going anywhere, I think he knows he is on to a good thing here and I hope he would rather be the star man in our team than not a guaranteed starter at Middlesborough.[/quote]Sorry, the offer of playing for a bigger club, possibly in the Prem, and more money is quite obviously a better thing than we can offer him right now.I don''t want him to go either though.

I wonder at what point Norwich would realistically say yes...£3 million, £4 million?There comes a point with our debt when it may be that shareholders or the bank say yes.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="eagle"]It annoys me that this rumour keeps popping up. I personally can''t see him going anywhere, I think he knows he is on to a good thing here and I hope he would rather be the star man in our team than not a guaranteed starter at Middlesborough.[/quote]Let''s be honest, I doubt Middlesbrough are going anywhere this season, so it''s possible we will be playing against them next season anyway. Let''s hope the board stay strong and that Hoolahan isn''t want away.[/quote]This is my opinion, plus he gets to pay in front of sell out crowds here and also he wouldnt have to live in the dump that is middlesbrough!

I agree with all the sentiments and would be gutted if we did sell.

However, there are rumours his agent is/was working overtime to manufacture a move and Middlesbrough seem to be splashing the cash, he may have his head turned. I think our new board and Manager have shown their hand in wanting to keep him, but market forces may mean we have to sell, he may want to go.

With that in mind, Gary McSheffrey is available at Birmingham and it may be that we could get £2.5-3m for Wes and buy Sheffs for £1m.

As I said, not what I would want as a fan but we need to be realistic.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="eagle"]It annoys me that this rumour keeps popping up. I personally can''t see him going anywhere, I think he knows he is on to a good thing here and I hope he would rather be the star man in our team than not a guaranteed starter at Middlesborough.[/quote]

Sorry, the offer of playing for a bigger club, possibly in the Prem, and more money is quite obviously a better thing than we can offer him right now.

I don''t want him to go either though.
[/quote]

Middlesbrough are not a bigger club than us and they will not be going up this season. They can, however, presumably offer him more money!

I always get the feeling with Wes, that he loves being a big fish in a small pond. I think the fact that he wasn''t really last season (i.e. the team wasn''t built around him in the way it is now) was a big reason that he didn''t settle immediately.

I can''t see Boro adopting a diamond in order to accomodate Wes, and he''s not anywhere near as effective when played on the left.

On the one hand, a big step up in money will be difficult to turn down, on the other hand, I''m sure he could have engineered a move in the summer had he wanted to leave.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="eagle"]It annoys me that this rumour keeps popping up. I personally can''t see him going anywhere, I think he knows he is on to a good thing here and I hope he would rather be the star man in our team than not a guaranteed starter at Middlesborough.[/quote]Sorry, the offer of playing for a bigger club, possibly in the Prem, and more money is quite obviously a better thing than we can offer him right now.I don''t want him to go either though.[/quote]

Middlesbrough are not a bigger club than us and they will not be going up this season. They can, however, presumably offer him more money!

[/quote]Of course Middlesboro are a bigger club than us right now lol. Even by number of years spent in the Prem they are bigger.

Where are these "reports" anyway or it it just are friends at Archant running uneccessary stories again at a time when we don''t need anything unsettling the team/fans.

Hoolahan was ineffective until Lambert came along and built the team around him.

If it was down to money he would go, if it is the football that rocks his boat he would stay every time.

Hoolahan has the likes of Russell and Smith underpinning what he does along with others making great off the ball movement.

He is a class player but one who needs protection in a team due to his physical stature. Watching him on Saturday was like watching a true artisan and a real pleasure but he needs to be careful as do others.

I think our players are very grounded along with our manager and they need to use that grounding to ask themselves what they have in their CV and like players such as Goss and Bowen in the past - why they are suddenly elevated and feted.

It is a two way street and often down to luck as a number of circumstances come together at the right time. The classic example of a player realising this was Darren Huckerby while we can all list any number of players and a manager who left our club to see their star fade after an initial pay hike and perhaps wonder whether their lives may have been more fulfilling had they stayed.

My advice to all our star players is, stay, get a medal for winning something - it may be league one but to win any league is a massive acheivement and something to treasure. Then, if you really think you can do better than Norwich City, give it a go....but be careful what you wish for.

I think Lambert now needs consolidation and a League one winners medal before moving on....as he will. You heard it here first, he will be Ferguson''s eventual successor.

Unless Middlesborough are prepared to offer a ridiculas amount for Hoolahan i.e 4m-5m, then it''s not going to be worth letting him go, I just hope the Board hold out strong on this one.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="eagle"]It annoys me that this rumour keeps popping up. I personally can''t see him going anywhere, I think he knows he is on to a good thing here and I hope he would rather be the star man in our team than not a guaranteed starter at Middlesborough.[/quote]

Sorry, the offer of playing for a bigger club, possibly in the Prem, and more money is quite obviously a better thing than we can offer him right now.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course Middlesboro are a bigger club than us right now lol. Even by number of years spent in the Prem they are bigger.
[/quote]

I disagree. i am not one of those fans who constantly goes around saying how we are a massive club and calling others tinpot but middlesbrough are not a big club. They do not get as big crowds as us and if we are both in the championship next season I would expect us to do as well as them (especially as they are signing the likes of Chris Killen at the moment!)

Yes they are in a  higher league and can pay more money but frankly the latter point is the only area i think they have a major advantage over us as I can''t see Wes being that desperate to leave a promotion campaign to play mid table nothing games for the rest of the season in the champ. If we don''t go up he will have plenty of options in the summer but for now i think he knows he''s onto a good thing at norwich with the team being built around him in a way very few other clubs would do.

I''ve spoken to him a few times on nights out and I even have his phone number, randomly! Just to share horse racing tips. He is a nice guy and like I said I don''t think he would want to leave. Thats just the impression I get.

[quote user="willo"]Thanks CUSDP. Any inside news on other moves, in or out please?[/quote]

Nothing at the moment im afraid.

Although.....I was talking to a rather p!ssed up Foulger on saturday night and he let slip a couple of things....

Firstly...what a nice bloke.

Lambert will be offered a new deal in the next few months. Great news.

McNally....I got the impression Foulger funded the move for him. He suggested him to the board, they said we cant afford him, he said, we cant afford not too! What a guy!

Bonds....By this tim eof our convo i was quite sloshed (maybe he spiked my drink [:o] ) but he was talking about a bond issue. I didnt understand it fully but it seems likely to happen.

Oh and he hasnt got any spare Col Utd tickets!

Maybe he was fobbing me off but he really seemed genuine and a top bloke to boot [Y]

I must say that I have noticed how frequently Lambert heaps glowing praise on Hoolahan. Of course, Lambert should praise players if they have done well bit i have been surprised at hgow often he has singled out Hoolahan for exceptional praise. Yesterday''s reports on the Exeter game in the national press being an example. Perhaps he is resigned to Hoolahan going and his strategy has been and is to constantly talk hm up in an effort to attract multiple bidders and force the value up.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="eagle"]It annoys me that this rumour keeps popping up. I personally can''t see him going anywhere, I think he knows he is on to a good thing here and I hope he would rather be the star man in our team than not a guaranteed starter at Middlesborough.[/quote]Sorry, the offer of playing for a bigger club, possibly in the Prem, and more money is quite obviously a better thing than we can offer him right now.I don''t want him to go either though.[/quote]

[/quote]Of course Middlesboro are a bigger club than us right now lol. Even by number of years spent in the Prem they are bigger.[/quote]

I disagree. i am not one of those fans who constantly goes around saying how we are a massive club and calling others tinpot but middlesbrough are not a big club. They do not get as big crowds as us and if we are both in the championship next season I would expect us to do as well as them (especially as they are signing the likes of Chris Killen at the moment!)

Yes they are in a  higher league and can pay more money but frankly the latter point is the only area i think they have a major advantage over us as I can''t see Wes being that desperate to leave a promotion campaign to play mid table nothing games for the rest of the season in the champ. If we don''t go up he will have plenty of options in the summer but for now i think he knows he''s onto a good thing at norwich with the team being built around him in a way very few other clubs would do.

[/quote]You are entitled to your opinion lol.They have more money than us and play in a higher league than we do is what I am basing my assessment on. I would assume that any club courting young Wes would not only offer him pop star wages but the promise of building a team around him.As I said in an earlier post, its all down to him.If another company contacted you and offered to double your wages I''m sure you''d think long and hard about it!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="willo"]Thanks CUSDP. Any inside news on other moves, in or out please?[/quote]

Nothing at the moment im afraid.

Although.....I was talking to a rather p!ssed up Foulger on saturday night and he let slip a couple of things....

Firstly...what a nice bloke.

Lambert will be offered a new deal in the next few months. Great news.

McNally....I got the impression Foulger funded the move for him. He suggested him to the board, they said we cant afford him, he said, we cant afford not too! What a guy!

Bonds....By this tim eof our convo i was quite sloshed (maybe he spiked my drink [:o] ) but he was talking about a bond issue. I didnt understand it fully but it seems likely to happen.

Oh and he hasnt got any spare Col Utd tickets!

Maybe he was fobbing me off but he really seemed genuine and a top bloke to boot [Y]

[/quote]

CUSDP, I am also on the hunt for freebies, providing the players get some each I am looking alright, but I have heard that Col. Utd are being funny about the comps they are giving away to us! Hopefully it will come through.

Also I randomly saw an absolutely hammered Mike Milligan on Saturday night, top value! Had a chat but couldn''t understand much, as you would expect.

[quote user="Panic Dem"]I must say that I have noticed how frequently Lambert heaps glowing praise on Hoolahan. Of course, Lambert should praise players if they have done well bit i have been surprised at hgow often he has singled out Hoolahan for exceptional praise. Yesterday''s reports on the Exeter game in the national press being an example. Perhaps he is resigned to Hoolahan going and his strategy has been and is to constantly talk hm up in an effort to attract multiple bidders and force the value up.[/quote]

Cor, you could work for the FBI mate.[;)]

McNally said last week that we do not need or plan to sell so either:

1)   McNally is lying.  I do not think so for a moment.

2)   The Board will contradict McNally knowing that he is a man of principle and will probably walk.

or

3)   We do not need or plan to sell.

My money is on 3)

Clam down dears.  It is only a rumour.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course Middlesboro are a bigger club than us right now lol. Even by number of years spent in the Prem they are bigger.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You are entitled to your opinion lol.

They have more money than us and play in a higher league than we do is what I am basing my assessment on. I would assume that any club courting young Wes would not only offer him pop star wages but the promise of building a team around him.

As I said in an earlier post, its all down to him.

If another company contacted you and offered to double your wages I''m sure you''d think long and hard about it!
[/quote]

I would indeed but if I was happy at my current company and the other company was a bit of a shambles and based miles away in Middlesbrough and I knew that if I sit tight for 4 months i may have improved my cv and have a whole host of other companies making me offers as well then I may well decide to sit tight for a bit.

I agree wityh you though. Is all down to him and who knows what he''s thinking. Although I try not to take notice of his posts Cameldung has hinted previously that Hooly''s agent is very keen for him to move but Wes himself is quite happy where he is for the time being. Perhaps therefore these links are the works of his agent. As i said above though i would be interested to see where these "reports" are that archant are referring to as i''ve not seen them and I can''t help but think its unhelpful for them to be publishing stories like this off the back of rumours.

He''s worth more money to us than any club would be willing to pay. Don''t think Boro would go above 2 mill and we''d be mad to sell for that.

Losing Hoolahan would be the single worst thing to happen this Jan (not including acts of God!) I''d rather lose Holt than Hoolahan tbh, he''s absolutely integral to the way we play and completely irreplaceable

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]Of course Middlesboro are a bigger club than us right now lol. Even by number of years spent in the Prem they are bigger.[/quote]

[/quote]You are entitled to your opinion lol.They have more money than us and play in a higher league than we do is what I am basing my assessment on. I would assume that any club courting young Wes would not only offer him pop star wages but the promise of building a team around him.As I said in an earlier post, its all down to him.If another company contacted you and offered to double your wages I''m sure you''d think long and hard about it![/quote]

I would indeed but if I was happy at my current company and the other company was a bit of a shambles and based miles away in Middlesbrough and I knew that if I sit tight for 4 months i may have improved my cv and have a whole host of other companies making me offers as well then I may well decide to sit tight for a bit.

I agree wityh you though. Is all down to him and who knows what he''s thinking. Although I try not to take notice of his posts Cameldung has hinted previously that Hooly''s agent is very keen for him to move but Wes himself is quite happy where he is for the time being. Perhaps therefore these links are the works of his agent. As i said above though i would be interested to see where these "reports" are that archant are referring to as i''ve not seen them and I can''t help but think its unhelpful for them to be publishing stories like this off the back of rumours.

[/quote]I wouldn''t take a lot of notice what Cameldung says, he is just another in a long line of people here who claim to know things and therefore make themselves seem important.You are right though, plenty of January left lol. Interesting that no prem clubs are interested though, maybe they don''t see him being as great as we do?

[quote user="First Wizard"]Now we''ll see the boards resolve, and their commitment to their fine words........Oh, and Wes''s sense of loyality![/quote]Exactly Wizard, we were made a firm promise that the club would not need to sell any star players, it all hangs on how much loyalty Wes has for us and of course whether we can trust the board.But we are a automatic promotion team... surely that''s a much better prospect than mid table Middlesborough