Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Under Soil Heating

I know that we have it down at carrow Road, but should it be compulsary for teams who are building a new stadium, or teams to add during this closed season, the amount of games being called off over the last few weeks, its awful and when watching a video on SSN some of the pitches were fine but some of the area around the ground was slightly icy!

[;)]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

I know that we have it down at carrow Road, but should it be compulsary for teams who are building a new stadium, or teams to add during this closed season, the amount of games being called off over the last few weeks, its awful and when watching a video on SSN some of the pitches were fine but some of the area around the ground was slightly icy!

[;)]

[/quote]

Most games get called off because of the areas outside the stadium and not because of the pitch,unfortunatly it is the world we now live in where health and safety is taking over everything..

...but like some people are saying , supermarkets don''t shut because of some icy conditions! and also on SSN an injury lawyer said that if someone falls over OUTSIDE the ground then it is the councils fault not the clubs!

i agree why cannot the fa all take some money awat from the tv money and give each club some money towards under soil heating

i tho all clubs in champs and prem had to have undersoil heating as part of the agreement of being in that league. those that havent should be relegated immediately with those that have promoted

some of the lower league teams get less money from TV than what  under soil heating would cost over a season, so the FA would be against that, which is a shame.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]i tho all clubs in champs and prem had to have undersoil heating as part of the agreement of being in that league. those that havent should be relegated immediately with those that have promoted
[/quote]

anythign to get norwich promoted!

Every club in the Premier League has undersoil heating so I guess it doesn''t make a huge amount of difference. Also, the whole "it''s Health & Safety gone mad" is getting boring. You can''t compare a stadium where 25,000+ people are entering and leaving at roughly the same time to a supermarket, also it isn''t just the outside it is things like the concrete steps inside the stadium which become death traps with ice. Also the extra pressure a football game puts on surrounding roads with increased footfall and car journeys.Just because it didn''t happen in the past doesn''t mean it shouldn''t happen now. This weather is a bit of a one off and it''s not like it will be the same every year. Give it a week or two and the games will be back on. 

According to an article i''ve read on a rotherham utd fan site, the minimum cost to rip up, install heating and relay the pitch would be a cool half million quid! [or john terry''s wages for a month!].I agree, its something that the f.a should look at. Its gonna get crazy with the backlog of games, especially in a world cup year!

not all 25,000 fans enter at the same time nor do they leave at the same time, I often wait 10 mins after the game when the crowds have dies down. I also get  to the match about 1hr early as do others, and finally if it was icy people would be more careful on the path so this would also reduce injurys!

Yes - every club should have it anyway!

Especially when no footy has been played at walsall for 3/4weeks? Its a joke!

I think i''m right in saying all premiership teams must have it? Not sure, when you also take into consideration, teams that share with football grounds, (Watford, Reading, Stockport, Wigan, Wycombe).

Its a no brainer!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]...but like some people are saying , supermarkets don''t shut because of some icy conditions! and also on SSN an injury lawyer said that if someone falls over OUTSIDE the ground then it is the councils fault not the clubs![/quote]

Two words

''''Nanny State''''

It is referring to the steps as "death traps" as a previous commenter did that is what the previous commenter was talking about, health and safety overreaction. Death traps?! Really?

However, a good point was then made about the fallacy in comparing a football match to a grocery store. Gorcery stores don''t handle 25000 people in a week, let alone in a couple of hours.

Cancelling games because of conditions surrounding the stadium kind of makes building domes stadiums pointless unless you''re going to dome the entire area.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Every club in the Premier League has undersoil heating ........ [/quote]Not the case.Fulham and Portsmouth haven''t got it. Surprisingly perhaps Burnley, who haven''t been in the top division in 1976, do have it. Considering that all Premier League teams are supposed to have undersoil heating I can''t understand how some teams get away with it

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Every club in the Premier League has undersoil heating ........ [/quote]Not the case.Fulham and Portsmouth haven''t got it. Surprisingly perhaps Burnley, who haven''t been in the top division in 1976, do have it. Considering that all Premier League teams are supposed to have undersoil heating I can''t understand how some teams get away with it[/quote]Since 1976

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]...but like some people are saying , supermarkets don''t shut because of some icy conditions! and also on SSN an injury lawyer said that if someone falls over OUTSIDE the ground then it is the councils fault not the clubs![/quote]

Two words

''''Nanny State''''

[/quote]

Or as this forum now is a Nana state!!

Two words

''''Nanny State''''

[/quote]

Isn''t the whole ''Nanny State/Health & Safety Police'' argument a mainly self perpetuating myth though? The media love a good Health & Safety moan regardless of whether there is any truth in the story or not. It wasn''t that long ago that various newspapers went to town on the whole ''Now Health and Safety Lobby Ban Ladders'' story which claimed that the HSE had banned the use of ladders under Work at Height Regulations. This was complete b*llocks but people still believe it to this day.

All these stories do is force many people into one of two camps. Some get unbelievably angry, refuse to comply and wear their lack of H&S (for both the actual regulations and the made up ones) as a badge of honour and some go to the other extreme and keep their employees and customers in hermetically sealed bubbles so they will come to no harm. Neither approach is even remotely sensible.

Every time the media repeat one of these bull$hit stories hundreds more employers panic and ban their staff from doing the most mundane tasks for fear of litigation if an accident were to occur. And hundreds more neglect all of their H&S responsibilities with a misguided sense of pride that they are rebelling against the ''Nanny State/Health & Safety Police/PC Lobby''. The stories are incredibly irresponsible but when you look at the newspapers who tend to peddle them you shouldn''t be too shocked by that.

P.S. Back on topic. I think all new build stadia should be forced to have undersoil heating.

Its not just the cost of installing under soil heating though its the cost of running it. It has cost the club a fortune running it for the week before to keep alive the chance of playing on Saturday. As soon as the match finished it had to be turned off as the club could not afford to keep it going. I dare say most clubs could afford to install it but not run it!!!!!!!!

OK, Norwich were if not the first then the second club to have undersoil heating. We have had it installed since 1991/92 and have never missed a game for it (to my knowledge).

This is a subject that I know quite a bit about as I know the person that got it put in.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Two words

''''Nanny State''''

[/quote]

Isn''t the whole ''Nanny State/Health & Safety Police'' argument a mainly self perpetuating myth though? The media love a good Health & Safety moan regardless of whether there is any truth in the story or not. It wasn''t that long ago that various newspapers went to town on the whole ''Now Health and Safety Lobby Ban Ladders'' story which claimed that the HSE had banned the use of ladders under Work at Height Regulations. This was complete b*llocks but people still believe it to this day.

All these stories do is force many people into one of two camps. Some get unbelievably angry, refuse to comply and wear their lack of H&S (for both the actual regulations and the made up ones) as a badge of honour and some go to the other extreme and keep their employees and customers in hermetically sealed bubbles so they will come to no harm. Neither approach is even remotely sensible.

Every time the media repeat one of these bull$hit stories hundreds more employers panic and ban their staff from doing the most mundane tasks for fear of litigation if an accident were to occur. And hundreds more neglect all of their H&S responsibilities with a misguided sense of pride that they are rebelling against the ''Nanny State/Health & Safety Police/PC Lobby''. The stories are incredibly irresponsible but when you look at the newspapers who tend to peddle them you shouldn''t be too shocked by that.

P.S. Back on topic. I think all new build stadia should be forced to have undersoil heating.

[/quote]

Agreed. On the one hand you get people shouting "Nanny State" whenever a new law or policy is introduced to protect the vulnerable and on the other hand, whenever something goes wrong people whinge that "the Government should be doing something about this". In a country with a population of some 60m+ you just can''t have a blanket policy that suits all ofthe people all of the time.

I went on a tour of the Britannia Stadium in Stoke a number of years ago (it''s ok, it was work related as a regeneration project!) and they told us it cost £10k to run it for a week! I still don''t believe that or think i must have heard wrong. But maybe it''s right...

this is what i think, every club in the league should have undersoil heating when they enter the leagues. why should such extreme weather scupper matches.

and as for outside the grounds surrounding area it is the councils responsibility , and the local people should chip in if they want a game to go ahead. find it really pathetic that 83 matches have been called off cause of it.

why make up excuses like this.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]You can''t compare a stadium where 25,000+ people are entering and leaving at roughly the same time to a supermarket[/quote]You''ve clearly not visited my local supermarket on a Saturday lol

Two words

''''Nanny State''''

[/quote]Correct, if you bugger over, you bugger over.  Why the need to blame A N Other? Wenger was speaking about this modern collective responsibility thing. Games were called off in case one person buggered over.

i nearly buggered over at carrow road at the norwich v exeter match but i wouldnt give two bums about it. see the funny side to it and move on

Any New Stadium built should be required to have Under Soil Heating. These New stadiums built cost millions. And these games are costing teams thousands. Walsall said from loss of sales and merchandise over the holidays the team has lost 500k already cause of it. Well one years lost is already the cost of it. Should be legislated to all new stadiums no matter the league. If they have a stadium that holds over 5000 it must have under soil heating. Just my opinion