Sign in to follow this  
matt crowhurst

Burnley Job

Sky Sports News understands Brian Laws is set to be appointed as Burnley''s new manager.

The 48-year-old has admitted he would be interested in the job with his appointment set to be confirmed in the next 24 hours.at least it will stop all the ridiculous rumours about Lambert leaving now although i cant believe a bloke who took Wednesday into the bottom 3 of the champs has managed to get a job in the Prem

Anyone on here still want to claim that Burney are a bigger club than us. They are a prem club and the best possible managers they could attract for their job are Laws and O''Driscoll. Must be taking the cheap option and if Laws is appointed they will no doubt be rewarded with relegation!

What a strange appointment! If i were a Burnley fan i would be fuming at this.

I wouldn''t count chickens, Jim. Yes, Brian Laws is an odd choice and would never have been my choice if I were manager of Burnley - but I think there are worse sides than Burnley in the Prem (Hull, Pompey and Bolton, IMO). If Laws can hit the ground running, I reckon he could be a Premiership manager for the forseeable future.

It shows that Burnley''s league status does not match how they are perceived by people in the game...just as the same applies to ourselves and Leeds, albeit in a positive sense.

Laws'' appointment is, if it happens, cheap for Burnley. He must have something about him though, it surely cannot be because he is available and cheap? If it was us, out of him and Sean O''Driscoll, I''d want O''Driscoll 100 times out of 100, if he was interviewed, then Doncaster must have been prepared to let him go, so is it a case that Burnley can''t afford the compensation, or meet his expectations-and that those, whatever they are (and O''Driscoll will not be over expectant) don''t match what he might still get at Doncaster?

Never mind the gulf between the Prem and league 1 and the CCC, the gulf between the top and bottom tier of the Prem gets ever bigger and bigger. Very strange appoinment but wonder if it will initially be until the end of the season (ie) keep us up, the job is yours?

[quote user="Cullum Ave A Go If You Think Youre Ard Enough"]I can''t believe some Norwich fans think Burnley is a bigger club - highly likely to be in the same division next season, they''ll be back to getting 11k fans again.[/quote]

Yep, there are some on here who held them up as some sort of "model club".

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]

at least it will stop all the ridiculous rumours about Lambert leaving now
[/quote]

No it wont matt!

What ever vacancy comes up, Lambert will be linked with.......especially on here!

If Celtic or one of the big Premiership clubs came calling (clubs such as Sunderland and Everton upwards) then I think Lambert''s loyalty to City would be seriously tested. In fact, I think if he had the chance to manage a genuinely big club (maybe even Leeds) he might leave. Until such an eventuality, I don''t think we need to worry.

I guess that Lambert''s no.1 ambition could well be to manage Celtic? Well, he won''t be the first Norwich Manager to have done that!

Peter Grant admitted when he was here that it was his driving ambition, he''s Assistant to Mowbray now, bet his return came sooner than expected?

Wonder if he and Mowbray will last the season though? At least if they do go, you would think it is too soon for Lambert to be considered by them-their days of rash appointments (Liam Brady, John Barnes) being behind them.

Very surprising appointment! But very glad that the rumours will not be around our Lambert now! :D

[quote user="TheGoogler"]I wouldn''t count chickens, Jim. Yes, Brian Laws is an odd choice and would never have been my choice if I were manager of Burnley - but I think there are worse sides than Burnley in the Prem (Hull, Pompey and Bolton, IMO). If Laws can hit the ground running, I reckon he could be a Premiership manager for the forseeable future.[/quote]

Indeed, Gary Megson has managed three different clubs in the Premier League and would probably get another. But he would never get a top club would he? The top of the Championship / bottom of the Premier seems to be the highest up and coming managers can aim for. And, it seems to me that if a manager gets a club out of the Championship the best move he can make is to another upwardly mobile club as soon as possible. Don''t hang around on the glass ceiling in the Premier League because it will end in tears as managers from Nigl Worthington to Steve Coppell have found to their cost. Billy Davies keeps on doing the business but had Derby kept him I doubt he would have changed what has happened to them.