Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Automatic nerves

Several weeks many fans seemed certain then of automatic promotion whilst I was urging caution and thought it a long shot. So, have I changed my view now that we''re sitting in second?

Well, probably not actually. True we have are having an amazing league run of 10 wins and 2 draws since that Leeds defeat. That is a fantastic run by anyones standards but sure as hell, like all good things it must come to an end sometime. Test then will be how well (and how quickly) we can ''kick on again''. Why is it that many fans queue up to predict how Leeds will soon ...''fall apart'' whilst ignoring the possibility it could be us also (or instead of).

Automatic is highly likely to be two from the current top four. Charlton and Leeds have been there all season and so have Colchester whose home record is equal to ours. My real worry is any kind of long term injury to the boy Holt ( we have no replacement for his experience and craft). We all remember what happened after Wes was crocked last season! With Wes, I actually think we could cope better than if Holt was lost. Chris Martin could play in the hole, he has good vision, creative on the ball and a wonderful striker of the ball as well. We would miss that magic and unpredictability that only Wes can bring but I think we could cope. Alternatively we could bring in Hughes (when fit) and play a flat midfield four.  

One thing I would do is give the likes of Holt and Hoolahan a rest soon. We should be able to leave one of them on the bench to get them freshened up and still beat the likes of Hartlepool and Southend at home. If we can''t then you have to query how strong the squad actually is. From memory, I can''t recall Holt or Hoolahan missing a game yet through injury. It''s gonna happen soon and we need the replacements to have some kind of match fitness to then hit the ground running. Resting Holt one match and Hoolahan another should''nt damage us and will give the likes of Cody (or the new guy) much needed match practice.       

What you wrote back then has been gnawing at my conscience as I wondered, "Does Yellow Rider still feel that way?" to myself, sometimes mumbling aloud in my sleep until my wife elbowed me to stop. Thanks for the update. Phew!!!

Good post mate and one I agree with [Y]I wouldnt like to suggest which match we do it in but i see no reason why we cant drop 2 or 3 key players for a home match or 2.         FosterDrury Doherty Nelson R.Martin                    Rusty       Lappin          Smith                  Hughes               O.J    C.Martin

What does everyone think about this?

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Good post mate and one I agree with [Y]I wouldnt like to suggest which match we do it in but i see no reason why we cant drop 2 or 3 key players for a home match or 2.         FosterDrury Doherty Nelson R.Martin                    Rusty       Lappin          Smith                  Hughes               O.J    C.Martin

What does everyone think about this?[/quote] the problem is if you do this and it works you look like a genius but if it fails you look like a right numpty

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Good post mate and one I agree with [Y]I wouldnt like to suggest which match we do it in but i see no reason why we cant drop 2 or 3 key players for a home match or 2.         FosterDrury Doherty Nelson R.Martin                    Rusty       Lappin          Smith                  Hughes               O.J    C.Martin

What does everyone think about this?[/quote]Didn''t Koroma leave? [A]

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Several weeks many fans seemed certain then of automatic promotion whilst I was urging caution and thought it a long shot. So, have I changed my view now that we''re sitting in second?

Well, probably not actually. True we have are having an amazing league run of 10 wins and 2 draws since that Leeds defeat. That is a fantastic run by anyones standards but sure as hell, like all good things it must come to an end sometime. Test then will be how well (and how quickly) we can ''kick on again''. Why is it that many fans queue up to predict how Leeds will soon ...''fall apart'' whilst ignoring the possibility it could be us also (or instead of).

Automatic is highly likely to be two from the current top four. Charlton and Leeds have been there all season and so have Colchester whose home record is equal to ours. My real worry is any kind of long term injury to the boy Holt ( we have no replacement for his experience and craft). We all remember what happened after Wes was crocked last season! With Wes, I actually think we could cope better than if Holt was lost. Chris Martin could play in the hole, he has good vision, creative on the ball and a wonderful striker of the ball as well. We would miss that magic and unpredictability that only Wes can bring but I think we could cope. Alternatively we could bring in Hughes (when fit) and play a flat midfield four.  

One thing I would do is give the likes of Holt and Hoolahan a rest soon. We should be able to leave one of them on the bench to get them freshened up and still beat the likes of Hartlepool and Southend at home. If we can''t then you have to query how strong the squad actually is. From memory, I can''t recall Holt or Hoolahan missing a game yet through injury. It''s gonna happen soon and we need the replacements to have some kind of match fitness to then hit the ground running. Resting Holt one match and Hoolahan another should''nt damage us and will give the likes of Cody (or the new guy) much needed match practice.       

[/quote]

I totally agree with your reality check - I''ve been saying this for the past few weeks.

Everyone''s waiting for Leeds, Charlton or Colchester to fall away over the next few games, but we''ve got to have some poor form yet, or injury / suspension of key players. I think that we''ll stay in the play-off places without any problem at all, but I think that it''s premature to say that we''re certain to be top two. 

I think Lambert will continue with the diamond and same players within that formation until they''re either injured or fatigued, which is all well and good if we keep accumulating the necessary points, but as most of you know here, I do have my concerns about the possible lack of insight by the manager concerning this matter.The best managers in football are the ones who ring the changes regardless of good form and whose sides still thrive.It is possible that I''m wrong and it isn''t a lack of insight on Lambert''s behalf - Maybe he''s simply frightened to take any risks.Which would be even more concerning.

[quote user="Shyster"]I think Lambert will continue with the diamond and same players within that formation until they''re either injured or fatigued, which is all well and good if we keep accumulating the necessary points, but as most of you know here, I do have my concerns about the possible lack of insight by the manager concerning this matter.

The best managers in football are the ones who ring the changes regardless of good form and whose sides still thrive.

It is possible that I''m wrong and it isn''t a lack of insight on Lambert''s behalf - Maybe he''s simply frightened to take any risks.

Which would be even more concerning.
[/quote]

Thank god I am not the only one who is slightly concerned over this SHYSTER [Y]

Of course you should dare not mention it at Fortress Carra however, otherwise you will prob have somebody tut tut at you and ask for you to be banished to Delia''s ducking stalls.

I was getting very frustrated at 1-0 up to Exeter on Saturday, where we were being pressed back in to our own half for long periods of the 2nd half.  I for one thought that it was begging for fresh City legs and changes to be made.  I called out for Lambert to make those changes and was told by somebody "yeah we have a rubbish manager don''t we?"  It is this beyond criticism apect of many City fans that brought us to the 3rd tier of English football in my opinion.  Fans were wrong to criticise managers and boardroom members as things went from bad to worse without changes being made that would have brought a halt to the slump.

Lambert is a great manager and I am one of his biggest fans, but I still have the nerve to question such a man when I believe that some of his choices could be better.  I hope that Ian Culverhouse does not sit in awe of his fantastic manager either and I am pretty sure from what I have seen that he doesn''t.

I think that you may of hit the nail on the head Shyster... I think there are a few signs of FEAR with regards to substitutions or changing the line-up that has been on such a fantastic winning run.

For me we are yet to find our strongest line-up as yet. 

I would love to see a change be made with regards to a certain midfielder and would also love to see Whitbread getting his chance when fit and ready.  Am also hoping that we can push the boat out and get Barnard plus a winger in to add the options that we need to ensure that we have a squad for all occasions in this division.  I think that Exeter wisely sussed us out for much of the game on Saturday (playing 3 centre backs) and with a better quality midfield and strikers ahead of them could of caused our diamond real problems.

[quote user="LinkNR9"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

I totally agree with your reality check - I''ve been saying this for the past few weeks.

Everyone''s waiting for Leeds, Charlton or Colchester to fall away over the next few games, but we''ve got to have some poor form yet, or injury / suspension of key players. I think that we''ll stay in the play-off places without any problem at all, but I think that it''s premature to say that we''re certain to be top two. 

[/quote]

Why?

Hartlepool are no mugs - ran Leeds close , played Southampton off the park only to unluckily lose - that will not be as easy as people think

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

One thing I would do is give the likes of Holt and Hoolahan a rest soon. We should be able to leave one of them on the bench to get them freshened up and still beat the likes of Hartlepool and

Southend at home. If we can''t then you have to query how strong the squad actually is. From memory, I can''t recall Holt or Hoolahan missing a game yet through

injury. It''s gonna happen soon and we need the replacements to have some kind of match fitness to then hit the ground running. Resting Holt one match and Hoolahan another should''nt damage us and will give the likes of Cody (or the new guy) much needed match practice.       

[/quote]

What is it with this modern obsession of "resting" players? No F.A. or Paints Cups to worry about. Surely they should be able to manage one game a week. I reckon if Messrs Holt or Hoolahan were asked if they wanted a rest, they would just laugh.

OK, i can admit that I am worried our form will dip, but I can still see us picking up points on a regular basis.

To the those that were claiming we should be able to rotate our players... how much did Worthy rotate his team when we got promoted? Our defence has been changing on a fairly regular basis. There is also the argument that a setteld side gets to know each other and can create form.

With a coupe of games postponed and I am sure there will be suspensions along the way as well, there will be plenty of players that will have to sit out. We have seen Korey already been sidelined for fatigue, and has come back full of energy. but we have ample cover in this position.

Can we afford to not play Holt or Hoop, not so sure... I think that we would still be a good side, but not the side we are when they are in the team.

Whoever we play, they both have strengths that are useful against any team.

There will naturally be games that they will haev sit out, Holt has already served a suspension, as has the Doc and the Walsall game has been cancelled... twice. So there have been players rested and there have been changes made. If it aint broke dont fix it, this will take care of itself.

I think that a shake up is due now, no doubt Colchester have watched all our recent games and probably have a good measure of us, we''ve been playing very similar tactics for some time now. Go for something fresh and it will catch them off guard, it may have an element of risk to it but I just don''t think the diamond will work this weekend.

people keep on about the diamond not working its not the systum you play its the quality of the players who play it we have that at the moment saturday wasnt one of our better perfomances and we still win 3 1 wait till we play well !!!!!!!!

I too thought that we really needed to freshen it up in midfield in the second half against Exeter. Dont get me wrong, 3-1 is a comfortbale win in the end but if they had a decent striker up front (or even if they started with Stewart lol) they would have scored more than 1 for sure.  We seemed to get pulled about a lot.  Young Smith was constantly pulled infield to help out Russell and to be fair we then won the ball back. However, the ball was played to Martin at right back and he had 50yards of touchline ahead of him with not a single City player in sight.  Was a bit disapointed with some of our movement at times. Against a better side (and Colchester are certainly pretty useful) i fear we will get found out.  Perhaps start Hughes just ahead of Russell in midfield and leave C.Martin to come off the bench if need be against them.  After all it is an away game and Hughes in there will give us a calming influence and should neutralise the ealry onslaught that they are bound to chuck at us.

I can''t disagree with anything you''ve said, OP. Spot on. If we can keep our best eleven fit and we don''t suffer too many bizarre refereeing decisions then we stand a good chance of staying second; but as you say, a few teams are pushing us hard to try to snatch that precious place away from us. Be lucky, Norwich City!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="LinkNR9"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why?

[/quote]

Because, Wiz, all teams go through a few games in a season when their form takes a dip, be it losses or draws, and points will be dropped - it even happens to the ManUres and Chelskis of this world, doesn''t it. Leeds seem to do it on an annual basis! Lambo ackowledged this not too long ago, saying that we are not going to win every game.

And to answer another poster, the Colchester and Brentford games at the start of the season don''t amount to a run of bad form.