Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

New NCFC Website..

Please check out my new website, influenced heavily of course by the Exeter site ''Kellowes bootlaces'', as posted on the other thread. Obviously its still at the development stage, and as you can probably tell im no professional.Ill be posting a regular weekly podcast and would welcome any input from the pinkun posters, would be good to get some guests and interviews from people at or connected with the club in some way. Ideally id like a special guest every week, be that a fan or someone at the club, whoever. Would also appreciate any feedback on the site, if anyone has any ideas on how I can get each weeks goals on the site without breaching any copyright laws please let me know.Still cant get the link button to work so just copy and paste (anyone know why the URL button never works? Im using Firefox).http://www.wix.com/mattmorriss/Huckerbys-Boots

Don''t use Flash - Flash is CD presentation software, that has been adapted for light games. It makes for dreadful websites and breaks the web model (for example, you can''t bookmark pages within a flash presentation).

"anyone know why the URL button never works?"

Despite the bug existing for what must be over a year, the webteam refuse to fix it, or the other related bugs.

[quote user="Barclayman"]Please check out my new website, influenced heavily of course by the Exeter site ''Kellowes bootlaces'', as posted on the other thread. Obviously its still at the development stage, and as you can probably tell im no professional.Ill be posting a regular weekly podcast and would welcome any input from the pinkun posters, would be good to get some guests and interviews from people at or connected with the club in some way. Ideally id like a special guest every week, be that a fan or someone at the club, whoever. Would also appreciate any feedback on the site, if anyone has any ideas on how I can get each weeks goals on the site without breaching any copyright laws please let me know.Still cant get the link button to work so just copy and paste (anyone know why the URL button never works? Im using Firefox).http://www.wix.com/mattmorriss/Huckerbys-Boots[/quote]Off to a solid start, but the real test for any site is the content and having something a little different. The main strength of the "Kellowe''s Bootlaces" site is that it is obviously sanctioned by the club, allowing them to get the interviews and be in the press room. Without that kind of access then all fan sites are basically rehashing news second-hand.Hope we can get something like Exeter have, as it offers a real extra level of in-sight into the club.

[quote user="First Jedi"]Don''t use Flash - Flash is CD presentation software, that has been adapted for light games. It makes for dreadful websites and breaks the web model (for example, you can''t bookmark pages within a flash presentation).

"anyone know why the URL button never works?"

Despite the bug existing for what must be over a year, the webteam refuse to fix it, or the other related bugs.[/quote]Like I said Jedi im no professional so is this as good as it gets to begin with. And ive bookmarked the site so dont know what mean about not being able to bookmark Flash sites.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Barclayman"]Please check out my new website, influenced heavily of course by the Exeter site ''Kellowes bootlaces'', as posted on the other thread. Obviously its still at the development stage, and as you can probably tell im no professional.Ill be posting a regular weekly podcast and would welcome any input from the pinkun posters, would be good to get some guests and interviews from people at or connected with the club in some way. Ideally id like a special guest every week, be that a fan or someone at the club, whoever. Would also appreciate any feedback on the site, if anyone has any ideas on how I can get each weeks goals on the site without breaching any copyright laws please let me know.Still cant get the link button to work so just copy and paste (anyone know why the URL button never works? Im using Firefox).http://www.wix.com/mattmorriss/Huckerbys-Boots[/quote]Off to a solid start, but the real test for any site is the content and having something a little different. The main strength of the "Kellowe''s Bootlaces" site is that it is obviously sanctioned by the club, allowing them to get the interviews and be in the press room. Without that kind of access then all fan sites are basically rehashing news second-hand.Hope we can get something like Exeter have, as it offers a real extra level of in-sight into the club.

[/quote]that would be excellent as I could then post the goals each week along with interviews with people. But as you say at the moment it is just re hashing second hand news, which is why ive kept the news page down to a minimum and only included ''news in brief'' snippets. The podcast ill be posting I hope to elaborate with.

Not bad, I like the look of it. As was mentioned it''s the content that is the clincher.
I''m keen to lend a hand.

[quote user="jammis"]

Not bad, I like the look of it. As was mentioned it''s the content that is the clincher.I''m keen to lend a hand.

[/quote]thanks jammis, all contributions and ideas most welcome. My main objective is just to keep it neat and simple to fit in with my ethos on not wasting to much time on websites, Facebook being a prime example, cant stand it, takes ages to navigate to do the simple things.The site is basically just going to be news in brief, some multimedia and the podcast, which i hope to evolve over time. To begin with thats the idea, but of course ideas are welcome.

I''m a journalist, although not a sports journalist, but have been racking my brains for a way that I could do something about our favourite club.

What do you think of player profiles. I don''t mean statistics and their favourite cereal, but what they get up in their free time, how they''ve developed etc. I do a similar thing for the magazine I work on, only for people who develop cars.

Who knows if Mr. Ferrari at City will agree to allow access, but as an idea what do you think? I don''t mind approaching the club.

I have a video camera, Kodak''s version of the flipcamera, so who knows.

The only problem is, although I''m a season ticket holder, I live in London.

Let us know

"Like I said Jedi im no professional so is this as good as it gets to begin with. And ive bookmarked the site so dont know what mean about not being able to bookmark Flash sites."

Bookmark one of the pages internal to the site... you can''t. There is one page with a massive download (the flash site) which forces you to download the entire site.

Flash is horrible. It''s not designed for the web. Professional or no-professional, it''s usually a good idea to use the right tools for the job.

Learn HTML. It''s not hard. http://www.w3schools.com

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Like I said Jedi im no professional so is this as good as it gets to begin with. And ive bookmarked the site so dont know what mean about not being able to bookmark Flash sites."

Bookmark one of the pages internal to the site... you can''t. There is one page with a massive download (the flash site) which forces you to download the entire site.

Flash is horrible. It''s not designed for the web. Professional or no-professional, it''s usually a good idea to use the right tools for the job.

Learn HTML. It''s not hard. http://www.w3schools.com[/quote]Why would you want to? Just bookmark the site. And loading the page doesnt seem to be a problem. Seems like your just criticising cause you know more than me about website design Jedi. Its basic, end of story. Now if youve got some content ideas im all ears.

Good luck Barclayman, Exeter''s website really was impressive and it would be great to have something similar.

Maybe ask them how they started theirs up etc and talk to the guy who started Kick it off - he might have some useful advice.

Don''t take this as a criticism because it''s fantastic to see someone having a go but I think if such a site is going to be a success it needs to be done professionally and with a degree of journalistic input. One of the great things about that Kellows Bootlaces site is how professionally it''s done plus the interviews. I know Archant do the odd video piece here and there, however most of it is pretty disjointed and hard to find. I am wondering why they don''t do PinkUn TV, a sort of video version of the Scrimmage. They can put the video on the homepage. Would see like a winning idea to me.

[quote user="First Jedi"]

Flash is horrible. It''s not designed for the web. Professional or

no-professional, it''s usually a good idea to use the right tools for

the job.

Learn HTML. It''s not hard. http://www.w3schools.com[/quote]

Flash is beautiful and was explicitly developed for the web (see Futuresplash). It''s also

very easy and common practise to use containers with calls to external

swf''s to avoid the one large download scenario you describe and the externalInterface call does allow the coder to provide bookmark facilities and when used in conjunction with external swf''s permits those bookmarks to be very specific. That this site doesn''t use that level of coding doesn''t mean that flash can''t. I''m guessing the creator site is based on the Flex architecture which if all goes well should be to this decade what HTML was to the 90''s.

[quote user="Buckethead"]

Flash is beautiful and was explicitly developed for the web (see Futuresplash). It''s also

swf''s to avoid the one large download scenario you describe and the externalInterface call does allow the coder to provide bookmark facilities and when used in conjunction with external swf''s permits those bookmarks to be very specific. That this site doesn''t use that level of coding doesn''t mean that flash can''t. I''m guessing the creator site is based on the Flex architecture which if all goes well should be to this decade what HTML was to the 90''s.[/quote]Stone me, and there are those of us interested in/obsessed with football finance who get accused of writing abstruse stuff!!![:D][;)][:D]As Harold Macmillan said after an impromptu rant by Nikita Krushchev at the UN: "Any chance of a translation?"[:^)][;)][:^)]

I think that it''s great, especially if you can find some new insights rather than merely cutting and pasting from other sites. The photo of Carrow Road is terrific though, and that alone makes it worth coming back to. The video clips are also a nice touch as well. Best of luck with it and the site is on my favourites now!

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="First Jedi"]

the job.

swf''s to avoid the one large download scenario you describe and the externalInterface call does allow the coder to provide bookmark facilities and when used in conjunction with external swf''s permits those bookmarks to be very specific. That this site doesn''t use that level of coding doesn''t mean that flash can''t. I''m guessing the creator site is based on the Flex architecture which if all goes well should be to this decade what HTML was to the 90''s.[/quote]Christ...was all that gumph really necessary? You could have just PM''d Jedi!!

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Barclayman"]Christ...was all that gumph really necessary? You could have just PM''d Jedi!![/quote]Then you wouldn''t have seen it.[/quote]this is true...

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="First Jedi"]

the job.

Flash is beautiful..[/quote]

Barclayman - good effort with the site so far mate. Sorry for

continuing the off-topic thread, but thought I would just add to the

Flash argument. This isn''t a criticism of you either, as I appreciate you don''t have much knowledge of web development.

Contrary to popular belief you can create very, very interactive

front-ends with a "modern" web browser (IE 6+), HTML, JavaScript, and a

bit of know-how - making a website properly cross-platform (mobile

phones, PDAs and so on), crawlable and future proof. Not only does this make a website far nicer to use than with custom Flash front ends (in my opinion), but more importantly, it also ensures that your website is built on accessible and open standards which will adapt as web browsers improve, and not proprietary technologies which do not gracefully degrade.

A lot of the time, it seems to me that developers use Flash when there is no need, because

it''s easier than learning Javascript, DOM, HTML, and CSS properly, and

having to cope with browser differences. Without doubt, Flash is excellent for adding rich media to a website that you couldn''t

do otherwise with (X)HTML and Javascript (for example, streaming video

and audio, games, etc), but NOT for the core development of a website.

End of story. [8-|]Sorry for interrupting the thread, good luck with the site Barclayman. If you want any impartial and friendly advice on how to develop the site technically, feel free to send me a PM.