Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Ink

Colchester's "Cup Final" - just another Div 3 game for Norwich.

Now we know how Man Utd & Chelsea feel when they play their leagues also-rans like Burnley, Wigan, Portsmouth, Hull, etc.

Colchester are a tin pot small club currently batting above their station after some lucky 1 goal wins. The freak result early in the season was just that - a freak result. I have no fears about this game and expect to see Colchester beginning their slide down the table after Saturday''s game.

Makes me laugh how they have hyped it all up as if Real Madrid were coming to town!

Not sure I agree this is a pretty big fixture for us, look at the amount of threads and build up there has been on here.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

Now we know how Man Utd & Chelsea feel when they play their leagues also-rans like Burnley, Wigan, Portsmouth, Hull, etc.

Colchester are a tin pot small club currently batting above their station after some lucky 1 goal wins. The freak result early in the season was just that - a freak result. I have no fears about this game and expect to see Colchester beginning their slide down the table after Saturday''s game.

Makes me laugh how they have hyped it all up as if Real Madrid were coming to town!

[/quote]lolyep, you are so rightI look forward to playing you because I like ''Norwich the football club'' not the board or some fans but most of you are great

If you don''t care, then why start another thread? It''s clear that you DO care, as do most people on this message board, and you ARE worried about our game against Colchester.It''s this arrogant "we''re a big club playing below our level" that infuriates me about Leeds, Wet Sham (when they were in the Champ), Wolves etc etc. Let''s not be like them, eh?

I care about every game Norwich play, whether it''s Leeds, Tranmere or Colchester. I just don''t think this deserves anymore hype than a match against Millwall, Huddersfield or Saints. It''s Colchester who have been hyping it up to be something special, and too many City fans have got caught up in this. Personally I have no gripes with Colchester as it is always good to see such a club performing better then the facilities and support would expect. Despite the fact we are in the same division and a similar position in the table, I think most would agree Colchester are a small club compared to Norwich. Not that Norwich don''t deserve to be where we are after a string of failed managers and poor player purchases.

Irregardless of your point of view about Colchester United as a club, surely the fact that we could go three points behind with two games in hand, or you could go nine points ahead, suggests that it IS a big game this weekend?

Huge game in many ways.

But, if we draw I hope fans don''t see it as a bad result..

They are top of the ''home'' form table all season, and it will not be easy!

A point there will not be a disaster.

But fingers crossed for a good win!

Largey, that''s been a discussion on our board this week too. In fairness, I think many fans would accept a draw in amongst all of this. It might not be the worst result in the world for either side.

[quote user="shedeight"]Irregardless of your point of view about Colchester United as a club, surely the fact that we could go three points behind with two games in hand, or you could go nine points ahead, suggests that it IS a big game this weekend?[/quote]Arrrrrrrraghhhhhhhh.Sorry to shout and sorry to be pedantic, but... you''ve just posted my most hated Americanism of all time: Irregardless! It''s irrespective or regardless. Please, for the sake of my sanity, pick one.Tantrum over. Wink [;)]

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

[/quote] And the award for most idiotic post of the day goes to.....YOU! This is a massive game. They are challenging at the top for a reason it''s because they are a real threat and we will have to perform at our best to take anything from this.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]I care about every game Norwich play, whether it''s Leeds, Tranmere or Colchester. I just don''t think this deserves anymore hype than a match against Millwall, Huddersfield or Saints. It''s Colchester who have been hyping it up to be something special, and too many City fans have got caught up in this. Personally I have no gripes with Colchester as it is always good to see such a club performing better then the facilities and support would expect. Despite the fact we are in the same division and a similar position in the table, I think most would agree Colchester are a small club compared to Norwich. Not that Norwich don''t deserve to be where we are after a string of failed managers and poor player purchases.[/quote]Yes you''re dead right, it is our cup final, well one of them...After playing Ex League Champions Leeds and Huddersfield, and ex FA Cup winners Southampton and Charlton, I''m sure we can dredge up almost as much enthusiasm to play another big club (albeit a slightly less illustrious one). [:P]Seriously, pundits bandy around the term "six pointer" far too often, but Saturday genuinely just that - if either of our clubs want to get that second automatic spot, then I would suggest that every match remaining is a bit of a "cup final"

Agree with a lot that has been said.

This game is no more important than Hudds (a), Milwall (a) etc.

If we can beat the lower teams away and pick up points (draws) at our contenders we will be ok.

With the hatred towards Lambert, this game is much bigger for Colchester than it is for us.

Lose this, after the 7-0 defeat at Preston and they could go into a bad run at the wrong time.

[quote user="Mook"]If you don''t care, then why start another thread? It''s clear that you DO care, as do most people on this message board, and you ARE worried about our game against Colchester.It''s this arrogant "we''re a big club playing below our level" that infuriates me about Leeds, Wet Sham (when they were in the Champ), Wolves etc etc. Let''s not be like them, eh?[/quote]Agree. Its depressing to see our fans acting like Wolves supporters.

But to be honest, people are basically saying that we are a bigger club than Colchester.

And absolutely no one can dispute that.

Most Colchester fans I have met freely admit that over the last few years they have been playing above their mean (when in Championship etc), and they are to be commended for that.

We are quite clearly playing below our natural level (hence not being this low for many many years)

We are not the biggest club around, but we are certainly bigger than Cochester, hence why Lambert moved on!

If Colchester want to stoke the fire with all this anti Lambert stuff why not play the bigger club card....we are!

[quote user="Largey"]

But to be honest, people are basically saying that we are a bigger club than Colchester.

And absolutely no one can dispute that.

Most Colchester fans I have met freely admit that over the last few years they have been playing above their mean (when in Championship etc), and they are to be commended for that.

We are quite clearly playing below our natural level (hence not being this low for many many years)

We are not the biggest club around, but we are certainly bigger than Cochester, hence why Lambert moved on!

If Colchester want to stoke the fire with all this anti Lambert stuff why not play the bigger club card....we are!

[/quote]Yes we are. However we are where we are because we deserve to be due to performances on the pitch. To play at a higher level you have to earn that right, its not god given and no club has a ''natural level.'' This season we are earning our way back to the championship and long may it continue. But there is nothing I hate more in football than fans with the ridiculous big club mentality like Wolves have who believe they are entitled to top level football no matter what and are therefore a better and more relevent club than others.

Agree with you kind of.

But surely the saying: ''we are where we are because we deserve to be because of bad performances'' is just logic?

Thats sport....Burnley are where they are because of good performances on the pitch. Wycome (for example) are where they are because of more bad performances than good.

There are plenty of lies from managers/media etc, but one thing that never lies is the table.

But, your table position alone doesn''t determine if you are a big club or not. Are Scunthorpe or Barnsley a bigger club than Leeds?  No.

I can''t wait for this game to be over so that Col Utd, their childish chairman and annoying fans disappear and we can get on with playing football and hopefully getting automatic promotion.