Sign in to follow this  
Canary Man of Kent

Semi joins Saints on free transfer

i`ve got a feeling releaseing semi, is lamberts lesser of two evils, after the release of the club accounts, i think the board have said to lambert to cut the wage budget, so instead of losing a top player, (and cant get shot of dead wood) hes had to get rid of the middle level players / potential youth (dumic).

lose a few to keep the cream

also doesnt semi have a heart condition that stops him in his tracks occasionally?

[quote user="GJP"]

Just never really worked out for him here.

Despite what some of the experts on here say he''s obviously not that much of a bad player or otherwise he wouldn''t have played the number of games he has or be moving to another decent club like Southampton.

Ability wise he''s probably better than Martin and definitely better than Spillane but he''s very rarely been able to apply it and do the business on the pitch.

[/quote]

That''s a bit bumptious GJP. I doubt that any of us who have posted less than complimentary opinions on Semmy believe we are experts. However, we are allowed to have and communicate opinions even though you may not agree with them. Seems to me that you believe your opinion re Semmy is the only correct one and therefore you feel you are the expert.

Smge - also doesnt semi have a heart condition that stops him in his tracks occasionally?

REALLY!! That would explain a thing or two

Our quest for the slowest back 4 in history continues.

Semi had to leave us really, in most fan''s eyes he had a bad performace before even stepping onto the pitch. Not to say that he wasn''t prone to the odd gaff. Southampton have done pretty well out of the deal, free transfer and a 6 month contract so if he really is as bad as everyone says they can offload in the summer.

Good luck Jon! There is a good player in there somewhere, just don''t let him out when we play you,

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="GJP"]

Despite what some of the experts on here say he''s obviously not that much of a bad player or otherwise he wouldn''t have played the number of games he has or be moving to another decent club like Southampton.

Ability wise he''s probably better than Martin and definitely better than Spillane but he''s very rarely been able to apply it and do the business on the pitch.

[/quote]

That''s a bit bumptious GJP. I doubt that any of us who have posted less than complimentary opinions on Semmy believe we are experts. However, we are allowed to have and communicate opinions even though you may not agree with them. Seems to me that you believe your opinion re Semmy is the only correct one and therefore you feel you are the expert.

[/quote]

It is a little poke at some of the OTT comments you get about certain players that aren''t rated by some fans.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is a little poke at some of the OTT comments you get about certain players that aren''t rated by some fans.

[/quote]

Can''t think who you mean ! My initial impressions of Semmy were good but the more I saw of him the more worried I became. IMHO he lacks vision, loses concentration and, for a full back, lacks bite. He stands off attackers too much and allows them too much space even within shooting distance (Connolly goal a case in point) and his only real quality is pace which he really didn''t use to great effect anyway. I rarely saw him beat a player and his crosses were hit or miss. My main feeling about him is that he plays no better than when we were in the championship even though by definition he''s playing against lesser quality players. It''s almost as though he has dropped a level in himself too whilst some like Doherty is performing much better in league 1.

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Yes but he played all of those games as part of the worst team in our history, under Roeder and Gunn. Didn’t take Lambert long  to figure him out did it?

And it doesn’t matter how much ability you have when you’re as lazy and stupid as Otsemebor!

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Can''t think who you mean ! My initial impressions of Semmy were good but the more I saw of him the more worried I became. IMHO he lacks vision, loses concentration and, for a full back, lacks bite. He stands off attackers too much and allows them too much space even within shooting distance (Connolly goal a case in point) and his only real quality is pace which he really didn''t use to great effect anyway. I rarely saw him beat a player and his crosses were hit or miss. My main feeling about him is that he plays no better than when we were in the championship even though by definition he''s playing against lesser quality players. It''s almost as though he has dropped a level in himself too whilst some like Doherty is performing much better in league 1.

[/quote]I think he was ATROCIOUS!!! Everytime I listened on Radio Naaaaarrffolk he sounded awful.......... [;)]

Only a 6 month deal suggests it is purely for cover, I doubt he''s part of any long term plans.

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think he was ATROCIOUS!!! Everytime I listened on Radio Naaaaarrffolk he sounded awful.......... [;)]
[/quote]

Blimey, haven''t read that one on here before, that''s really clean bowled me. Anyway, just in case you are suggesting that my opinion is not based upon actually seeing Semmy play, you are wrong.

Semi had a few defensive frailties...and they were a few!

But seeing as how his contract was up at the end of the season; and seeing how we have no real right winger as such if we decided to switch to 4 4 2; it would have been nice to see what he could have done on the wing.

He has pace oozing out of his nether regions and could hit a good cross...

Yes he struggled to track back and defend at right back, but on the wing he would have less to worry about having a solid right back behind him!

Now I know he rarely went forward, but I think that may have been due to everyone on his back when he did get forward and never defended!

And yes I am prepared to recieve abuse from the official I hate Semi Club!

A dreadful defender, and his performance against Leeds when he failed to jump to defend at the far post costing us a soft goal, on top of the sleepy reaction to Forster''s disastrous kick was the final straw. Watch Southampton start to ship goals from hereon in.  

[quote user="ncfc11"]

But seeing as how his contract was up at the end of the season; and seeing how we have no real right winger as such if we decided to switch to 4 4 2; it would have been nice to see what he could have done on the wing.

Yes he struggled to track back and defend at right back, but on the wing he would have less to worry about having a solid right back behind him!

Now I know he rarely went forward, but I think that may have been due to everyone on his back when he did get forward and never defended!

[/quote]

I don''t think there is an official I hate Semi Club unless I''ve missed something. I''ve highlighted in blue what I think is your most significant point. The point being that he was only ever regarded by Lambert and his predecessors as a right back and was only ever played in that position. Therefore, the comments on this thread can only be about his ability or otherwise in that position not specualation about how well he might have played in another position. For that matter, I''m sure he would have put in a better shift in goal against Cameldung Utd than Theoklitis......... but then I guess most of our outfield players would have done on that day.

[quote user="morty"]Only a 6 month deal suggests it is purely for cover, I doubt he''s part of any long term plans.
[/quote]

You are right and it is a good point.  So, given that he has 6 months on his contract here, why move?  On the face of it he is no better off unlike say Andy Hughes who was offered a longer contract by Leeds than we were willing to provide.

Logic suggests that he has been told that he will not play and Saints have offered him some games.   He will want to secure a contract for next season and needs to play.

If that is right then credit to him for at least not doing a Bogarde and sitting in the reserves for the duration.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="ncfc11"]

[/quote]

I don''t think there is an official I hate Semi Club unless I''ve missed something. I''ve highlighted in blue what I think is your most significant point. The point being that he was only ever regarded by Lambert and his predecessors as a right back and was only ever played in that position. Therefore, the comments on this thread can only be about his ability or otherwise in that position not specualation about how well he might have played in another position. For that matter, I''m sure he would have put in a better shift in goal against Cameldung Utd than Theoklitis......... but then I guess most of our outfield players would have done on that day.

[/quote]

Thanks for your input...it just might have been nice to let him have a chance and find a position he was good at!

Unless of course Semi has been a complete tw*t in training and refused and help or whatever... which does sound possible after hearing that he is a very arrogent person...not my opinion just what I have heard.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="ncfc11"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But don''t forget that it was his, all too typical empty headed howler that started the Colchester goal rush

yep I have said it before it was announced on radio norfolk last season by darrell russell

I feel kinda sorry for Semi, he was made a scapegoat all too often. Yes, he made mistakes, but show me a player who hasn''t, I just think that for some players people are more forgiving.I also feel that semi was better at going forward than being a defensive right back, I reckon he could have done a job as a right winger in a 4-4-2, but if you are played as a defender then defence is your first priority.The fact that our diamond is very narrow means that the full backs were expected to attack down the flanks and provide some width, but semi''s decision making meant he often left himself exposed. I think just played as a right back in a 4-4-2 he can do an adequate job.Makes you wonder if he ever read these message boards and we had a hand in destroying his confidence.I wish him all the best for the future.

replyt to comment that semi had a heart condition which meant his recovery from a run was more than others... it was suggested it was a medical condition by d. russell

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]Only a 6 month deal suggests it is purely for cover, I doubt he''s part of any long term plans.
[/quote]

You are right and it is a good point.  So, given that he has 6 months on his contract here, why move?  On the face of it he is no better off unlike say Andy Hughes who was offered a longer contract by Leeds than we were willing to provide.

Logic suggests that he has been told that he will not play and Saints have offered him some games.   He will want to secure a contract for next season and needs to play.

If that is right then credit to him for at least not doing a Bogarde and sitting in the reserves for the duration.

[/quote]

If Semmy thought he has only been offered a short-term contract only for cover then he wouldn''t move unless it was for more money plus I do think Southampton is an upcoming club and destined for the Premiership in 3 years. The carrot must be quite simply, come to us for 6 months, you''ll get games and let''s see what you can do and if we''re impressed we''ll give you an extended contract. I can''t see that Saints want him for his pace because they already have players with real pace and as no one can really say with any honesty that he is a solid defender it''s a bit of a mystery. However, I''m grateful to him for removing himself from our payroll and good luck to him.

[quote user="ncfc11"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="ncfc11"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for your input...it just might have been nice to let him have a chance and find a position he was good at!

Unless of course Semi has been a complete tw*t in training and refused and help or whatever... which does sound possible after hearing that he is a very arrogent person...not my opinion just what I have heard.

[/quote]

I can''t argue with that. I would have liked to have seen him played in right midfield too but who would have been dropped to make way ? Plus, Lambert has said we have too many midfielders. I will be interested to see how well he plays at Southampton and indeed in what position he is played. I was at St Mary''s for the league match a short while ago and he didn''t have a good match and his inability to close players down led to the Connolly goal. That having been said I''m not a football manager and Pardew is IMO a pretty decent one...  time will tell.

He is fine this season... but no more than fine if his contract is up again this summer I would expect him to go

we can pick up central midfielders to do that role who are younger and who will improve

in answer to your question he is not out of his depth in the championship, however I would expect us to be looking for players to be in our first team that can take us to the next level, lappin has found his level

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="ncfc11"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="ncfc11"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can''t argue with that. I would have liked to have seen him played in right midfield too but who would have been dropped to make way ? Plus, Lambert has said we have too many midfielders. I will be interested to see how well he plays at Southampton and indeed in what position he is played. I was at St Mary''s for the league match a short while ago and he didn''t have a good match and his inability to close players down led to the Connolly goal. That having been said I''m not a football manager and Pardew is IMO a pretty decent one...  time will tell.

[/quote]

Personally i hope he proves the doubters wrong

[quote]I do think Southampton is an upcoming club and destined for the Premiership in 3 years[/quote]After 24 games, if Southampton hadn''t had 10 points docked, they would be 6th in the table.  They won''t make the play-offs this season, so to get to the Premiership they''d have to do a Man City, and that doesn''t happen very often.   Even a club with the resources of Forest have struggled to cope with the championship before getting the measure of it, Wednesday look like they are slipping back into trouble after a couple of seasons out of league 1.

I''d guess that it''s probably about £150-£200k off the wage bill for somebody that Lambert saw as a sub/back-player, and with him being out of contract soon he would have probably tried to renegotiate at a higher amount were we to go up. Good financial business I''d say.

Now the only Boo Boy left is Doc,GL to Semi, i used to feel quite sorry for him... in the same way as I cant belive people rate Doc im sure many people would think WTF when i said I rated Semi.But like a previous poster pointed out, at times Semi showed that there was actually a top rate player trying to burst out only he blundered more times than he excelled.In another life he should play as a winger opposed to a right back.All in all, Semi - Saints is probably a good move, a tad disapointed that there was no transfer few attached ? :(

Early birthday present as far as I am concerned.  Must be one of the most inept players to (dis) grace a City shirt in my 45 years of watching the team.  Hopefully we will have put something in the deal with Southampton that requires him to play against us therefore giving us the pleasure of watching him being skinned by Norwich players rather than idiots dressed up in  Tesco bag shirts!

[quote user="Smeg"]also doesnt semi have a heart condition that stops him in his tracks occasionally?[/quote]

With all due respect, if that''s true, surely he shouldn''t be playing professional football?

Lambo acts swiftly, efficiently and decisively - no messing about. He gives every player a fair chance, with no slagging off of individuals as previous managers have been wont to do. If they''re not to his liking, he lets them go. Great stuff.