Sign in to follow this  
Canary Man of Kent

Semi joins Saints on free transfer

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]Always struck me as a right midfielder not a right back. Liked to get forward but didn''t like the return journey and left a yawning space down our right flank that often led to goals. Glad he''s gone.[/quote]

In fairness when was the last time he played with a decent right winger in front of him? I thought he had a good partnership with Crofty for a while.

Personaly I think a lot of people are very harsh on him, he was the only defender with any real pace - in some ways it was good to have him in the team when playing against teams with a pacey striker or winger.

Never as bad as a lot of people made out. Average Championship right back lets face it, maybe nothing special but also not useless either. A shame that he never really put any consistancy in because he could be a hell of a player.
[/quote]

You can''t have seen the same games as me! Semi was shocking for most of last season and at the start of this. He was always out of position and seldom stopped a cross from coming in. Funnily enough at Southampton away last year he had one of his worst games, allowing their striker to shoot from anywhere without worrying about things like closing down or tackling. Presumably Pardew hasn''t seen those highlights because he was absolutely dreadful.

He''s nowhere near an average Championship right back - he''s not even an average League One right back, as Col Who showed on the opening day.

I''m delighted he''s gone.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="First Wizard"]Odd, do we have adaquate cover there?[/quote]

Michael Spillane, Russell Martin, and George Francombe, all FAR more capable right backs than Jon Otsemobor, and more than enough cover for the rest of the season.
[/quote]

And two of those are out injured John.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="First Wizard"]Odd, do we have adaquate cover there?[/quote]

Michael Spillane, Russell Martin, and George Francombe, all FAR more capable right backs than Jon Otsemobor, and more than enough cover for the rest of the season.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Spillane is back in full training on Monday.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="First Wizard"]Odd, do we have adaquate cover there?[/quote]Michael Spillane, Russell Martin, and George Francombe, all FAR more capable right backs than Jon Otsemobor, and more than enough cover for the rest of the season.[/quote]

[/quote]Don''t forget Korey could slot in there and do a decent job as well.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe, but my guess is that when Southampton came knocking Lambert was tempted to rip their hand off. "gift horse" and "mouth" come to mind. I''m hoping that the wages saved, and these must have been considerable, will go towards another signing either temporary or permanent.

Firstly we signed him as a free agent so my guess is he was probably on a decent wage, which is ok if your in the side and playing regularly - but if you are back up then its a bit of a waste of cash. Secondly you couldn''t really stick him on the bench as cover because he can only play one position, Lambert has always opted to field ''attacking'' benches with minimal defensive cover and with this in mind Spillane is a better bet (and a player who was in a real rich vein of form before he got injured).

There is no doubt that Semi has ability, and enough pace to give Usain Bolt a decent race, but how many times did he use it effectively. One decent performance out of four isn''t good enough and the bloke next to me made a great point against Millwall - if he cut out the lapses in concentration and dozyness he would still be at Liverpool.

Time and again he dallied in possesion, and I was never confident when he was in the team, because a successful game for him was getting through ninety minutes without dropping a clanger. How many times was there space to run into on the overlap and he stood on the halfway line wondering what everyone was getting on his back for, how many times did it take him three touches to get the ball under control, how many times did he turn back inside into trouble when a clipped ball down the line was a much better ''out'', or take his eye off the ball for a split second as the ball rolled out for a throw in!

Nothing against Semi, and wish him luck at Saints, they''ve obviously just gone on the number of games he''s played (when realistically we didn''t have anyone else to play there), rather than scouting him - and as others have said, it has to weaken their promotion bid a tad!

yes I think bobby you are right an offer out of the blue... it does mean our wages bill decreases shame we still have high earners who are in my opinion of the same quality

Semi had the potential, I love a full back who can go forward and be a threat his pace was brilliant... alas when he went forward no-one offered him an option... defensively he had no one capable of covering if he went forward

we now have a lack of pace in our back four which is a must if we intend to continue to move forward... happy with the cover

as many have said if only mcveigh, cureton and theo would follow and as I have said before Iexpect lappin and doc to leave in s ummer... we need to get rid of the deadwood from last season and the season before who offer us nothing but a large dent in our wages

semi will do fine at saints, I believe he is a capable championship defender but only if he has a good defence around him... as said I feel we are more than adequate in this division... however next year our current defence is no better than a lower mid table defence

good luck semi... but feel it is a good move and hopefully one of many before the end of the year and I hope lambert continues not to offer new contracts to our deadwood

[quote user="smooth"]yes I think bobby you are right an offer out of the blue... it does mean our wages bill decreases shame we still have high earners who are in my opinion of the same quality

Semi had the potential, I love a full back who can go forward and be a threat his pace was brilliant... alas when he went forward no-one offered him an option... defensively he had no one capable of covering if he went forward

we now have a lack of pace in our back four which is a must if we intend to continue to move forward... happy with the cover

as many have said if only mcveigh, cureton and theo would follow and as I have said before Iexpect lappin and doc to leave in s ummer... we need to get rid of the deadwood from last season and the season before who offer us nothing but a large dent in our wages

semi will do fine at saints, I believe he is a capable championship defender but only if he has a good defence around him... as said I feel we are more than adequate in this division... however next year our current defence is no better than a lower mid table defence

good luck semi... but feel it is a good move and hopefully one of many before the end of the year and I hope lambert continues not to offer new contracts to our deadwood[/quote]Lappin is not dead wood! Lambert has a wealth of players to pick from in midfield and Lappin continues to get picked.

[quote user="chicken"]Actually would just like to add its a bit of a shock that he has gone ahead of Cureton, Whalley and McVeigh . . . . .
[/quote]

There has to be someone willing to take them first!

[quote user="First Wizard"]Every month Gunn''s team is vanishing. Good init?[/quote]

What will be good, excellent even, is when that waste of space and money Cureton goes.

He always seemed to have potential and has the pace to beat nearly everyone. Its a shame for one reason or another we never got to see the most of this, be it lack of confidence, teams tactics or just a poor workrate.

However his defensive qualities were sometimes questionable, leaving players too much space when marking them, dilly-dallying on the ball sometimes then just hoofing it up in the air.

Maybe he just needs some new surroundings to get his confidence back and Southampton might see a better Semmy, I wish him all the best, (just not when he plays Norwich [:)])

Good riddance. We''ll be more than sorted at the back without him, Spillane is on his way back and Russel Martin is already proving to be shrewd piece of business by Lambert.

[quote user="Barclayman"]Gutted, despite his inconsistency he was one of my favourite players.
[/quote]

Me too Barclay man, can''t really explain why...maybe it''s because when he was good he was really good, but when he was bad (99% of the time) he was REALLY bad.

Just feel there was a really good player lurking in him somewhere but never really showed it.

Just never really worked out for him here.

Despite what some of the experts on here say he''s obviously not that much of a bad player or otherwise he wouldn''t have played the number of games he has or be moving to another decent club like Southampton.

Ability wise he''s probably better than Martin and definitely better than Spillane but he''s very rarely been able to apply it and do the business on the pitch.

Lambert has managed to turn the team that lost 7-1 onthe first day of the season into contenders to win the league, but Semi hasn''t improved. Nuff Said!

Could see this one happening a mile off tbh. Since Martin signed perm, he was always going to be shown the door, expecially with Spillane back in training.

I wish him all the best in the future, jsut not against us!! :)

as i have said the summer is a different thing, you do not rock the boat too much now but lappin is not capable for next season

he has had his time... is doing ok but there will be players who can improve who are younger... and can score a goal

for now he is fine, but next season who knows

[quote user="B-ru"]Could see this one happening a mile off tbh. Since Martin signed perm, he was always going to be shown the door, expecially with Spillane back in training. I wish him all the best in the future, jsut not against us!! :)[/quote]

Agreed, whilst he was not my favourite player, I wish him all the good luck.

This is either a very poor piece of business from Southampton if they are buying him as a right back - or possible quite a shrewd one if they are buying him to play right midfield. I always felt he could do a good job as a right winger, delivery was OK and he had good pace. Dead loss as a right back however....

[quote user="smooth"]as i have said the summer is a different thing, you do not rock the boat too much now but lappin is not capable for next season he has had his time... is doing ok but there will be players who can improve who are younger... and can score a goal for now he is fine, but next season who knows[/quote]

I''m sure i must have missed something because you can''t actually be serious? Lappin, one of the most consistent performers of the season, whose delivery from set pieces and crosses have provided multiple assists, and whose workrate and effort in the centre of midfield (along with Russell and Smith have made the diamond work), is suddenly going to be out of his depth next season?

All the best Semi, shame there were more bad times than good.

As for cover its good that Spillane is back and I liked what I saw of Francome at the Swindon game for the lads home debut. Hopefully these two will develop further into their potential than Semi did

OK, so Dumic has gone on a free (with clauses), Semmy on a free too now (not sure about clauses) do we think Cureton, Whaley, OTJ, Gill, Nelson could be next out the door, or are we done for the time being?

It seems we are trying to refine the team to quality rather thatn quantity now, and freeing up some wage funds too. Som great business being done with younger, better, hungrier players coming in. Surely Oli is a replacement for Cureton, Martin for Semmy, Zak for Nelson... what do we think?